2015 Winter Classic: Chicago @ Washington

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: 2015 Winter Classic: Chicago @ Washington

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote: I get where you are coming from, definitely. I understand Parise/Suter aren't huge names outside of Minnesota (and NJ/Nashville). I get that the Wild aren't a nationally known 'brand.' I also understand that NBC would probably take a ratings hit centering a game around the Wild. I do understand that.

My request is that the NHL ignores all of that and rewards and entire state/region/city/fanbase for their dedication to THE SPORT. Not the NHL, the sport as a whole. How many NHLer's have come out of Minnesota? How many hockey fans, not just NHL fans, reside in that state? My point is that the NHL should do a bit of goodwill to that area in this regard. I mean, a Wild vs. Stars game outdoors in Minneapolis would be phenomenal to me as a hockey fan. Forget all the business and ratings.
I know but unfortunately business and ratings come first. A Dallas vs. Kings game would be much better than a Dallas / Minny matchup.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:T.J. Oshie may not be a superstar in terms of points, but he is a superstar in terms of marketability...which is all the NHL cares about. I respectfully disagree with you. I know this is your player but outside of St. Louis I don't see Oshie as a superstar.

After the olympics Oshie was the biggest star on Team USA... and it wasn't even close. That is true - but he was a hero for his shootout skills. The NHL could market that no problem for the Winter Classic...and folks would tune in like mad to see it.

Aside from that...
The Blues have been one of the best teams in the NHL for the past few seasons now, and have some serious rivalries going with Chicago & LA. True

Washington has been in about 13 Winter Classics now...and quite honestly, nobody really cares about them outside of Washington because they aren't a great team, they just fired their head coach, and they have goaltending issues. Besides, Ovechkin is losing his luster. He got a lot of bad press last year for his lazy play in his own end...and I think people are tired of his one dimensional game. Anything Ovechkin or Crosby carries higher weight. Unfair but the league is predictable in that way.

Blues vs. Hawks would have been a much better game. I agree. The NHL marketed them as one of the top rivalries in the NHL last year, they are in the same division and have battled for the division title the past few years, they just had a pretty bad ass first round series that was brutal and memorable...and they have a long history of bad blood going back to the 70's, 80's & 90's.

The game could have been hosted here in St. Louis or in Chicago. It wouldn't have been in chicago as we already hosted. But a game in St. Louis would have been nice.

And before you say something about folks not tuning in to watch the Blues, the Blues draw very good ratings when on national tv. Folks would watch the Blues. But if it was a Blues/Minny game then no. It would need to be the Blues against either a big market or original 6 team.

There is absolutely no reason why the Blues shouldn't have gotten an outdoor game next season. I agree. It was the perfect time to have them play in one. It's certainly a much better choice than Washington vs. Chicago. I don't get that at all.Clearly it comes down to the money and the numbers which you and I aren't privvy to see. Advertisers will pay the most money to the NHL for the highest ratings and clearly the league felt an Ovechkin/Toews&Kane game would give them maximum dollar.
my comments in blue above
Ovechkin/Crosby carrying more weight may be predictable, but predictable isn't always best. I don't think anybody is saying that they're surprised by this, just angry by it.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote: Quit being such a snob.

That was uncalled for. If you can't participate in the discussion then don't post.
Oh geez. Sorry to hurt your feelings, bud. I participated, but you chose to ignore that, which is cool. Free country, etc., etc. Godspeed.

While I was talking ratings for argument's sake, I don't care about them either. No matter who plays, hockey fans will watch it, which I'd assume would be everyone here. It'd be nice to see some other teams get some exposure, though. There are so many great players in the NHL...get em out there so the average, novice fan (aka most hawk fans :wink: ) can get familiar. The Crosby/Ovie well is running dry, at least it seems with most of you and certainly me.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Toasted Oates wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:

That was uncalled for. If you can't participate in the discussion then don't post.
Oh geez. Sorry to hurt your feelings, bud. I participated, but you chose to ignore that, which is cool. Free country, etc., etc. Godspeed.

While I was talking ratings for argument's sake, I don't care about them either. No matter who plays, hockey fans will watch it, which I'd assume would be everyone here. It'd be nice to see some other teams get some exposure, though. There are so many great players in the NHL...get em out there so the average, novice fan (aka most hawk fans :wink: ) can get familiar. The Crosby/Ovie well is running dry, at least it seems with most of you and certainly me.
The thing is that when you trolled me above (which is what you did) by resorting to grade school name calling you lost any right you have to this converation as anything else you said prior or after I will now automatically dismiss because I know you have an agenda which is just to troll. So goodbye.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Ahhh, the classic Blackhawks/Capitals rivalry......?.....What?

Who gives a crap about seeing "marquee players"? If you want to see a good GAME this isn't the matchup you want. You want Blues/Blackhawks, Kings/Blackhawks, there are a number of teams I'd put ahead of the Capitals as an opponent for this.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Next year will be Canadiens vs Bruins then they will just recycle old games like Red Wings vs Hawks.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:

The thing is that when you trolled me above (which is what you did) by resorting to grade school name calling you lost any right you have to this converation as anything else you said prior or after I will now automatically dismiss because I know you have an agenda which is just to troll. So goodbye.
If being called a snob is enough to bother you, posting on a rival team's message board is an odd choice. That's pretty benign "trolling."
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The "marquee name" thing is just navel-gazing. Sure, Suter & Parise have very little name value outside MIN. Absolutely true. Let me state another truth: outside of people who are already into hockey, Patrick Kane & Jonathan Toews & Alex Ovechkin also have very little name recognition among non-hockey fans outside Chicago/Washington.

Hard to imagine anyone would make an argument against the point that the NHL should cultivate more stars. Not surprised I'm not seeing that.

Feels like the bloom is off the rose with the outdoor games for me anyway. After they have involved no team I'm at all interested in for years, I ignore most of them. Too bad. Thanks again, Gary.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: I know LA hosted an outdoor game, but not a Winter Classic, it was a Stadium Series game. There is a difference.
Other than the name Winter Classic vs. Stadium Series there is no difference. Personally I think the league watered down the fun of the Winter Classic by adding the additional Stadium Series games. Just like there is only one Superbowl game a year I believe there should be only one Winter Classic per year.

And yes Parise and Suter are stars in Minnesota but they haven't won anything and are more known around the NHL for the ridiculous contracts they signed at 13 years a piece. The league knows that a Minnesota outdoor game will elicit a lot of yawns. Buffalo carries a NY market and given it was the first Winter Classic there was a lot of buzz for that so I don't think you can compare Minnesota with it.

I'm also not trying to say it's fair cause it isn't but this is one of those things where the league follows the money.
I get where you are coming from, definitely. I understand Parise/Suter aren't huge names outside of Minnesota (and NJ/Nashville). I get that the Wild aren't a nationally known 'brand.' I also understand that NBC would probably take a ratings hit centering a game around the Wild. I do understand that.

My request is that the NHL ignores all of that and rewards and entire state/region/city/fanbase for their dedication to THE SPORT. Not the NHL, the sport as a whole. How many NHLer's have come out of Minnesota? How many hockey fans, not just NHL fans, reside in that state? My point is that the NHL should do a bit of goodwill to that area in this regard. I mean, a Wild vs. Stars game outdoors in Minneapolis would be phenomenal to me as a hockey fan. Forget all the business and ratings.
I would agree and the NHL could even make that not hurt as bad by having Minnesota play a team that WILL bring in the rankings. Didn't they JUST play Chicago in the playoffs? *shock face*
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote: If being called a snob is enough to bother you, posting on a rival team's message board is an odd choice. That's pretty benign "trolling."
Being called a name doesn't 'bother' me - but when it comes out of left field it shows that the intent of the poster was not to discuss or make a point but rather to just troll. I'll give you an example - what if I typed a nice long response to you and at the end decided to stick an 'ef you' in there or any other insult just cause you're a Blues fan? How much credibility would you put into my argument or point I have made? None. Which is why I had to call the other guy out as trolling.
Last edited by Kerfuffle on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I would agree and the NHL could even make that not hurt as bad by having Minnesota play a team that WILL bring in the rankings. Didn't they JUST play Chicago in the playoffs? *shock face*
They did but it was a boring series to say the least. The old rivalry we had with Minnesota was when they were the North Stars. Once they moved to Dallas and Minnesota got another team (Wild) the rivalry was gone. Pretty much when we face Minnesota at home those are the games I sell - along with Columbus, Nashville, and Edmonton. If it's any consolation Blues games are one of my favorites to attend cause both teams are really good.

My wife and I are planning to bring the kids to the Sat 10/27 game - last road game I went to was in March 2008 in St. Louis. The place was nice and there was good food there. And it's fun to see another team's opening on the jumbotron and compare it with your own.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: I would agree and the NHL could even make that not hurt as bad by having Minnesota play a team that WILL bring in the rankings. Didn't they JUST play Chicago in the playoffs? *shock face*
They did but it was a boring series to say the least. The old rivalry we had with Minnesota was when they were the North Stars. Once they moved to Dallas and Minnesota got another team (Wild) the rivalry was gone. Pretty much when we face Minnesota at home those are the games I sell - along with Columbus, Nashville, and Edmonton. If it's any consolation Blues games are one of my favorites to attend cause both teams are really good.

My wife and I are planning to bring the kids to the Sat 10/27 game - last road game I went to was in March 2008 in St. Louis. The place was nice and there was good food there. And it's fun to see another team's opening on the jumbotron and compare it with your own.
Yea I hear you. I guess my point is that if the NHL is overtly concerned about the ratings of the game (which, admittedly, they should be) I still think they should be letting in a "non powerhouse" team, but then just match them up with a team that you know will bring in the ratings, such as a Penguins or Rangers.

And I agree with the earlier comments in this thread that Ovechkin is losing his luster and I don't understand the Capitals selection much. No rivalry, and obviously selected just because of Ovechkin. NHL is also assuming Ovechkin won't get injured leading up to the game :roll: because then there's NO storyline. At all.

Dumb.

Blues and Hawks would be insanely awesome.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Can someone find Rutuu and get rid of Kerfluffle?

:facepalm:

This class of clown-trolls this year is excruciating
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sseagle wrote:Can someone find Rutuu and get rid of Kerfluffle?

Rutuu was awesome but this dude here isn't too bad.
Now the other guy.....
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

STLADOGG wrote:
sseagle wrote:Can someone find Rutuu and get rid of Kerfluffle?

Rutuu was awesome but this dude here isn't too bad.
Now the other guy.....
I hate em all.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko