Jason Spezza Requests a Trade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Jason Spezza Requests a Trade

Post by glen a richter »

Berglund, Rattie and a pick for arguably Ottawa's greatest player ever and cornerstone of the franchise? Yeah, that'll work.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:Berglund, Rattie and a pick for arguably Ottawa's greatest player ever and cornerstone of the franchise? Yeah, that'll work.
Wasn't Ryan Miller at one point considered one of the top elite Netminders in the league who it would take "Alot" to acquire? How much did it take to get him on the Blues for a single year?

The question in this case, as far as my point of view goes, is what Ottawa is going to get back for an elite player with a single year left on his contract. Looking at Miller, my answer has to be: Not a whole lot. With one-year left on his contract, he's a rental. Simple as that.

Jason Spezza could come here, not like it here and then we're out someone like Shattenkirk or <insert top liner here>? To me that's too much of a risk for a one-shot deal. If Spezza was signed longer or if he came here and signed for a long-term for money that we could be okay with OR/AND they threw in some other players into the trade mix, then we could talk players like Shattenkirk. who is signed for a few years more, or someone else. But overpaying for a one-year deal? Haven't we done enough of that already?

We need to look at the future as much as just right now.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Comparing the Miller trade to a Jason Spezza acquisition is light years away from "apples to apples." Halak and Miller are comparable players with, as it turns out, comparable intangibles. Is there a centerman on this roster comparable to Jason Spezza? That's the difference and it's why I'd move Shattenkirk if I had to. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be thrilled with a lesser package. I'd love for not_a_wings_fan to be 100% right. But I'd be fine either way, because that's how awesome I think Spezza would be on this team.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Toasted Oates wrote:Comparing the Miller trade to a Jason Spezza acquisition is light years away from "apples to apples." Halak and Miller are comparable players with, as it turns out, comparable intangibles. Is there a centerman on this roster comparable to Jason Spezza? That's the difference and it's why I'd move Shattenkirk if I had to. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be thrilled with a lesser package. I'd love for not_a_wings_fan to be 100% right. But I'd be fine either way, because that's how awesome I think Spezza would be on this team.
I'd be perfectly good with us getting AND KEEPING Spezza for Shattenkirk. The later is more important to me than simply getting Jason for a year. We can get that, throw Shatt Ottawa's way and see what else we can get. Otherwise, it's ridiculous overpayment for a one-year deal while Ottawa gets a player back for the next few years they can build off of, which should be our angle too...that's what really has me gunshy about pulling that trigger.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Shattenkirk should be off the table IMO, especially for a player with 1 year on his contract.

I'm curious how much trade value Ian Cole has. Obviously not as much as Shattenkirk, but I think he should have decent value.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:Just a little nostalgic up in here. Remember that time we traded David Rundblad to Ottawa for the pick that eventually turned out to be Tarasenko? Ah, good times.

Maybe we can fleece them after all.
Amazing trade. Basically what we did was get a "free look" at a first round defensive player for a whole year before deciding "nah, I'd like to return it, I want my first round pick back" :lol:

At the time of the trade, hadn't heard anything really good about Rundblad, we needed to get more offensive prospects in the system and quite frankly even if Tarasenko never played another game we still won that trade. Love it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports league sources claim the Calgary Flames have made an offer for Senators center Jason Spezza. Their offer (believed to be” Jiri Hudler, Mikael Backlund, possibly Dennis Wideman and one of their several second and third-round picks”) falls short, in Garrioch’s opinion.>>>>

If the Blues can't land Spezza (and I'd prefer signing Stastny anyway), might be worth kicking the tires on Berglund to Calgary..........
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Toasted Oates wrote:While I agree you have to give to get and while any rational human would love Spezza's pedigree, I would need help rationalizing sending Schwartz or Tarasenko in a trade to get him. Schwartz is almost 22 yrs old and just scored 25 goals. Vlad is the same age and just scored 21 goals in 64 games. My favorite numbers, though, are their salaries. Cap hits: Schwartz @ 830,000, Vlad @ 900,000. Granted, both will need to be extended soon. Even then, with their subsequent raises, they won't be making Spezza money. Both 9 and 91, all things considered, carry OUTSTANDING value.
I don't like moving Schwarz or Tank either. That would be tough. The are both too valuable for a number of reasons.
Spezza has had a hell of a career and still has a rep as a center with PPG potential. However, he's in the last year of his contract and his cap hit is well known--a cool 7 million bucks. He may take a pay cut; he's not getting any younger and his stats may never be as gaudy as they once were. Having said all that I'd still take either of our two young bucks in terms of sheer value.
The cap hit is irreverent unless we are spending to the cap next year...which we probably aren't. The real number is his actual salary next year, which is only $4 million.
But yes, if we wanted to resign him, that would be an issue.
Now Shattenkirk is a "good" player I could get behind moving. He's still young, had a good Olympics, and is a proven offensive D man. Also, he's under contract till 2017 @ 4.25 mil per. That's a good deal. I feel like the Blues can afford to lose a D man much more so than a productive forward.
I'd rather move Berglund...but I can't see Ottawa wanting Berglund.
But then again, I can't see Hitch (being a defensive minded coach) moving a key component of his defense.
But at any rate...I think offering Shattenkirk, a 2nd rounder and Rattie will get the deal done. That sounds like a lot though.
Fun time of year. :lol:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

I apologize if I made it seem like I'd rather trade Shattenkirk than Berglund. I just think it'll take more than Patrik as the centerpiece to get it done. And if I had to choose between 42, 74, 20, 91, 9, 27, 19, or 22 (our top guys) I'll send 22. Rumors suggest Berglund's the centerpiece, though, so I must be insane. Ah well.

Just ask yourself, "Self, what will it take to beat the LA Kings in a 7 game series?" We might be pretty close, but it'll take some aggression this offseason, obviously. Spezza or Stastny (OR BOTH?!?!) would satisfy that I would think.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Toasted Oates wrote:I apologize if I made it seem like I'd rather trade Shattenkirk than Berglund. I just think it'll take more than Patrik as the centerpiece to get it done. And if I had to choose between 42, 74, 20, 91, 9, 27, 19, or 22 (our top guys) I'll send 22. Rumors suggest Berglund's the centerpiece, though, so I must be insane. Ah well.

Just ask yourself, "Self, what will it take to beat the LA Kings in a 7 game series?" We might be pretty close, but it'll take some aggression this offseason, obviously. Spezza or Stastny (OR BOTH?!?!) would satisfy that I would think.
I think we could feasibly do both, as Spezza would require a trade while Stastny would only require making an attractive contract. Will it happen? Maybe one, but probably not both. Not that I would argue.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Toasted Oates wrote:I apologize if I made it seem like I'd rather trade Shattenkirk than Berglund. I just think it'll take more than Patrik as the centerpiece to get it done. And if I had to choose between 42, 74, 20, 91, 9, 27, 19, or 22 (our top guys) I'll send 22. Rumors suggest Berglund's the centerpiece, though, so I must be insane. Ah well.

If the Blues get Spezza, they will have four bona fide centers (Spezza, Sobotka, Lindstrom and LaPierre, assuming Berglund moves to Ott). They have plenty of wingers on the team, so I am wondering if Pajaarvi can be made a part of the package. I also wonder if any of the lines will be re-shuffled to fit Spezza in the center. We know the second line chemistry b/w Sobotka, Schwartz and Tarasenko is crazy, so could it be the first line that gives way? Maybe Backes-Spezza-Steen, with Oshie going to the third line? Or maybe one of Oshie/Steen may get traded either to get Spezza or elsewhere for someone else.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

flyingnote38 wrote:OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports league sources claim the Calgary Flames have made an offer for Senators center Jason Spezza. Their offer (believed to be” Jiri Hudler, Mikael Backlund, possibly Dennis Wideman and one of their several second and third-round picks”) falls short, in Garrioch’s opinion.>>>>

If the Blues can't land Spezza (and I'd prefer signing Stastny anyway), might be worth kicking the tires on Berglund to Calgary..........
Heard that on NHL network radio today too. I have no idea what the Flames are thinking. Even assuming that the Flames are on Spezza's short list of teams that he'd accept a trade to (I have no idea why they would be) why are you trading assets for a top player when you're admittedly in the middle of a total overhaul (and overdue) rebuild? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I think a first round pick is going to have to be involved for the Sens to pull the trigger on a deal. A second and third (even the FLAMES' 2nd and 3rd) isn't going to cut it. You can get a first round pick for a top player at the deadline as a rental for a quarter of the year. If you're Murray why wouldn't you demand one for having Spezza for the whole season?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Depending on how much you believe Mr. 'More to Come...'

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:Depending on how much you believe Mr. 'More to Come...'

[tweet][/tweet]
IS THIS A E4 OR E5!!!!!!
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Depending on how much you believe Mr. 'More to Come...'

[tweet][/tweet]
IS THIS A E4 OR E5!!!!!!
If there is truth to this (that the Blues are the top of the list), it is nice that StL is considered an desirable location, which can only benefit us in luring other quality players.

But if it's just Strickland being Strickland... :?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

It would make sense he would want to come to STL... As a play-making center, wouldn't you want a team that is winning lots and lots of games with two, young snipers that can play on your wings? Spezza centering tank and Schwartz is killer and would be ideal for him to score a major payday in the twilight of his career. Throw in that STL is a great hockey town and your dollars will go far here, and it's an ideal set up for him. Ana is attractive as well, but STL is prime real estate for him.

I have no idea if Strickland, per usual, is FoS, but I really think this is a deal that the Blues can and should make.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

So I did some messing around on Capgeek's Armchair GM module, and after 'trading' for Spezza, signing Stastny, signing Joe Corvo and Blake Comeau for depth, I still had over 4M in cap space.

I did this by 'trading' Ian Cole, Ty Rattie, and Patrick Berglund to the Senators. (No way I think they take that deal, but what the hey). And Corvo and Comeau were just guys I threw in there. I 're-signed' Schwartz at a 1.5 m deal and Boat at 1.4 m. So we might be tighter against the cap but just seeing it on paper and knowing we'd have some space if things bounced the right way is kind of nice.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Blues w/ S&S
FORWARDS
Alexander Steen ($5.800m) / David Backes ($4.500m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m)
Jaden Schwartz ($1.500m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Vladimir Tarasenko ($0.900m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.200m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($1.400m)
Blake Comeau ($1.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Joakim Lindstrom ($0.700m)
Chris Porter ($0.675m) / Ryan Reaves ($1.125m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alex Pietrangelo ($6.500m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($5.400m)
Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m) / Barret Jackman ($3.167m)
Roman Polak ($2.750m) / Jordan Leopold ($2.250m)
Joe Corvo ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Brian Elliott ($2.500m)
Jake Allen ($0.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,591,667; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,508,333

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

if we are in the market for an under-appreciated star offensive player for an underperforming Canadian franchise, what about Phil Kessel?

Leafs would be crazy to trade him, but they are the Leafs after all. Hard to believe but he's just 26 and is signed to a front loaded contract through 2021-2 at an AAV/cap hit of $8 Mill. He's owed $10 mill each of the next 2 years and $9 mill for 2 after that, then becomes a relative bargain at 7,7,6 and 6 to complete the contract.

If he is truly available, he is hands down the best offensive player available. Could we offer a package around Berglund and Shattenkirk? Could we afford the $10 mill salary? Anyway we could add picks/prospects and get Gardiner back as well?
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:I did this by 'trading' Ian Cole, Ty Rattie, and Patrick Berglund to the Senators. (No way I think they take that deal, but what the hey).
I think if you throw in a 2nd round pick, that deal gets done...and if that was the deal, I bet we'd get a mid-level prospect and possibly a 3rd or 4th rd. pick as part of the deal as well.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I did this by 'trading' Ian Cole, Ty Rattie, and Patrick Berglund to the Senators. (No way I think they take that deal, but what the hey).
I think if you throw in a 2nd round pick, that deal gets done...and if that was the deal, I bet we'd get a mid-level prospect and possibly a 3rd or 4th rd. pick as part of the deal as well.
I like that deal significantly better than trading Shattenkirk. Cole and Rattie may develop into good NHL players, but Shattenkirk already is one.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen