Jason Spezza Requests a Trade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Jason Spezza Requests a Trade

Post by dmiles2186 »

Obviously, his name has been linked with the Blues as a potential target. I'm sure a lot will to be given up to get him. Seriously, no way a package centered around Berglund with no draft picks or top prospects is going to work, most likely. This guy is going to be a hot commodity this offseason.

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Jason Spezza Requests a Trade

Post by WaukeeBlues »

My understanding is that the Sens are asking for (and I don't recall where I read or heard this) a first round pick, at least one young NHL-ready player (e.g. of the Schwartz/Tarasenko variety) and at least one prospect.

It's going to be a packaging competition, who can give the Sens the better overall package for the guy. Personally, I'd hate seeing Schwartz go but I'd rather trade him in the package than Tarasenko, who is off limits IMO. I don't know that the Sens would even WANT Berglund. The guy has played enough in the NHL now that they know what they're getting and the numbers are certainly not jumping off the page.

We HAVE to have a #1 center. I think Spezza is even more a #2 center at this point in his career but he's better than Backes and arguably even Steen in that role, who have been faking it as the #1 center for years. As long as the cost isn't exorbitant I'd seriously look at making this trade. We almost have to. There's not many other options.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

You've got to give up talent to receive talent.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Reading Burke's comments, I don't think it's going to take as much as we think. I could see a situation where we sent them Berglund and Leopold and rattie or something getting this done. While those players aren't superstars, they aren't trash either.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The package described in the post above is simply too much for Spezza if you ask me. I wouldn't give Schwarz or Vova for him. The front office would have to be willing to part with a pick or two but I don't think they can afford to give a first. If they want an NHL ready player, offer them Cracknell or Porter, plus one of our D prospects or Rattie, plus a couple 2nd-4th round picks. If someone offers more, they can have him.

Good to see people coming around to the fact that Berglund is worthless. He got $3.25M last season to play small, score 30 points in the regular season and then disappear in the playoffs. David Perron, for example, scored 28-29-57 on a horrible team for $250K less. I bet Lindstrom's numbers next year are comparable to or better than Berglund's last season.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Reading Burke's comments, I don't think it's going to take as much as we think. I could see a situation where we sent them Berglund and Leopold and rattie or something getting this done. While those players aren't superstars, they aren't trash either.
If that's all it took to get Spezza it would be the steal of the decade. I think bare minimum it's going to cost a first rounder and two players, one of which Murray has demanded be a guy who can step in and play right now. Somewhat tongue in cheek he said that next season he "wants to win some hockey games" haha so he's not selling the farm here.

If it's really just us and Anaheim seriously bidding for him the price might be kind of low and we certainly have more forward depth to part with than the Ducks do. But if there are a lot of bidders the price might be pretty high.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

WaukeeBlues wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Reading Burke's comments, I don't think it's going to take as much as we think. I could see a situation where we sent them Berglund and Leopold and rattie or something getting this done. While those players aren't superstars, they aren't trash either.
If that's all it took to get Spezza it would be the steal of the decade. I think bare minimum it's going to cost a first rounder and two players, one of which Murray has demanded be a guy who can step in and play right now. Somewhat tongue in cheek he said that next season he "wants to win some hockey games" haha so he's not selling the farm here.

If it's really just us and Anaheim seriously bidding for him the price might be kind of low and we certainly have more forward depth to part with than the Ducks do. But if there are a lot of bidders the price might be pretty high.
... so two players who can play right now and a prospect is different how?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

... so two players who can play right now and a prospect is different how?
Should've said two "good" players. My mistake. Leopold is old and Berglund's recent stats suck. That's why.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Yeah, Berglund doesn't have 'potential' to fall back on anymore. He's 26 going on 27. He's probably what he is going to be. I just always love the fan logic of 'He sucks, we don't want him, so let's make him the center of a trade for a player that's way better than he is.' That makes no sense. If someone came to us and said, 'Hey, we don't like Kyle Chipchura. Let's trade him, Derek Morris, and a 3rd rounder for Jay Bouwmeester,' we'd all laugh at them.

(And I'm not pointing you out NAWF. It's easy to do. As fans we overrate our players.)

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:Yeah, Berglund doesn't have 'potential' to fall back on anymore. He's 26 going on 27. He's probably what he is going to be. I just always love the fan logic of 'He sucks, we don't want him, so let's make him the center of a trade for a player that's way better than he is.' That makes no sense. If someone came to us and said, 'Hey, we don't like Kyle Chipchura. Let's trade him, Derek Morris, and a 3rd rounder for Jay Bouwmeester,' we'd all laugh at them.

(And I'm not pointing you out NAWF. It's easy to do. As fans we overrate our players.)
Berglund would be a phenomenal 4th line center if he used his big frame... ever. Endlessly frustrating to me that he plays like he's 5'9, 180. And not the Jordin Tootoo 5'9, 180. I agree with you: he's entering what should be the prime of his career as a forward and his stats have been dropping. Pretty significantly. I think he's a 3rd line center the rest of his career. Such a shame.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Yeah, Berglund doesn't have 'potential' to fall back on anymore. He's 26 going on 27. He's probably what he is going to be. I just always love the fan logic of 'He sucks, we don't want him, so let's make him the center of a trade for a player that's way better than he is.' That makes no sense. If someone came to us and said, 'Hey, we don't like Kyle Chipchura. Let's trade him, Derek Morris, and a 3rd rounder for Jay Bouwmeester,' we'd all laugh at them.

Berglund would be a phenomenal 4th line center if he used his big frame... ever. Endlessly frustrating to me that he plays like he's 5'9, 180. And not the Jordin Tootoo 5'9, 180. I agree with you: he's entering what should be the prime of his career as a forward and his stats have been dropping. Pretty significantly. I think he's a 3rd line center the rest of his career. Such a shame.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Not laughing at you, but at the fact that right now Berglund is not even cutting it as a phenomenal 4th line center, and probably not even as a good one either).
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Spezza provides the Senators a list of 10 teams to which he refuses to be traded: https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status ... 6676063232

Problem is, they have not made the list of 10 teams public.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

While I agree you have to give to get and while any rational human would love Spezza's pedigree, I would need help rationalizing sending Schwartz or Tarasenko in a trade to get him. Schwartz is almost 22 yrs old and just scored 25 goals. Vlad is the same age and just scored 21 goals in 64 games. My favorite numbers, though, are their salaries. Cap hits: Schwartz @ 830,000, Vlad @ 900,000. Granted, both will need to be extended soon. Even then, with their subsequent raises, they won't be making Spezza money. Both 9 and 91, all things considered, carry OUTSTANDING value.

Spezza has had a hell of a career and still has a rep as a center with PPG potential. However, he's in the last year of his contract and his cap hit is well known--a cool 7 million bucks. He may take a pay cut; he's not getting any younger and his stats may never be as gaudy as they once were. Having said all that I'd still take either of our two young bucks in terms of sheer value.

Now Shattenkirk is a "good" player I could get behind moving. He's still young, had a good Olympics, and is a proven offensive D man. Also, he's under contract till 2017 @ 4.25 mil per. That's a good deal. I feel like the Blues can afford to lose a D man much more so than a productive forward.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Toasted Oates is right. This team is swimming in defensive prospects who can step in and replace guys if necessary. Shattenkirk + Berglund + Rattie would get the job done. Three guys who can step in or almost step in with the Sens. Maybe we wouldn't even have to give up the 1st round pick.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

glen a richter wrote:Toasted Oates is right. This team is swimming in defensive prospects who can step in and replace guys if necessary. Shattenkirk + Berglund + Rattie would get the job done. Three guys who can step in or almost step in with the Sens. Maybe we wouldn't even have to give up the 1st round pick.
Yessir, I'd do that trade. That 1st round pick could turn out to be better than Rattie anyway. Berglund is a minor loss, so basically (in a world I've created in my glass half full mind) it's Shatty for Spezza. Sign him to an extension, make a miraculous run at Stastny and we're looking pretty formidable. Armstrong makes this GM stuff look harder than it is :wink:
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Toasted Oates wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Toasted Oates is right. This team is swimming in defensive prospects who can step in and replace guys if necessary. Shattenkirk + Berglund + Rattie would get the job done. Three guys who can step in or almost step in with the Sens. Maybe we wouldn't even have to give up the 1st round pick.
Yessir, I'd do that trade. That 1st round pick could turn out to be better than Rattie anyway. Berglund is a minor loss, so basically (in a world I've created in my glass half full mind) it's Shatty for Spezza. Sign him to an extension, make a miraculous run at Stastny and we're looking pretty formidable. Armstrong makes this GM stuff look harder than it is :wink:
There's always this whole thing about "oh we'll have to give up Tarasenko or Schwartz" Ottawa's defense is HORRIBLE. Their best defenseman doesn't even play much on the PK because he's that bad (yet somehow wins Norris trophies). Why wouldn't they want Shattenkirk? Same with Edmonton, if Army wanted to get a guy like RNH or Hall (not saying he could, but if he wanted to) it wouldn't cost an offensive piece, it would cost a defensive piece because that's what Edmonton desperately needs. Ottawa will not ask for or expect a top flight offensive player in return for Spezza. They'll take defense, size and youth. And I think Berglund would thrive in the east, it's less defense, more open hockey and he'll put up better numbers over there.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Just a little nostalgic up in here. Remember that time we traded David Rundblad to Ottawa for the pick that eventually turned out to be Tarasenko? Ah, good times.

Maybe we can fleece them after all.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:Just a little nostalgic up in here. Remember that time we traded David Rundblad to Ottawa for the pick that eventually turned out to be Tarasenko? Ah, good times.

Maybe we can fleece them after all.
Hopefully the Sens don't keep a "teams that fleeced us already" list.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I also think Berglund would do more in a different, more open, less defensive-minded system. I think he's got more value than he's being given credit for on here right now. No, he's not getting traded straight up for Spezza, duh. But with two or three other pieces it's a likely deal.

It may take a different, younger defenseman, but it won't take as much as people are suggesting (a top three D-man)'.

Rattie is still a reasonable prospect and, with his age and experience, would be valued over a pick (which isn't going to be a good one if the Blues continue to play at the top of the West...).

Burke isn't expecting a #1 or #2 center and value for Spezza... he would be crazy to do it. Go back and look at the trades that were made at the deadline, and the only team that really paid too much for what they got was us. Older, top forwards were on firesale, guys.

It's more doable than people are thinking, but we will see what shakes out.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I can't see us giving up anything more than Berglund, Rattie and a Pick or some combination of the like for Spezza. The guy's a rental in the same vein as Miller and in my opinion should be handled as such. If he comes to us and is amazing, then give him a blank check. Otherwise, we can let him go and look for solutions elsewhere. Let him prove to us that he can do it while wearing a Bluenote and then reward him. To me, that sets a better standard. Giving up anymore than that, especially giving up Shattenkirk (Who is under contract for what, the next three years?) for him, is just plain ridiculous.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!