Patrick Sharp is available...Interested?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Patrick Sharp is available...Interested?

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I was listening to the reaction to the Hawks season wrap up press conference and it seems Patrick Sharp and Johnny Oduya will be shipped by the Hawks due to cap concerns and the fact they have to sign Kane and Toews to extensions. Sharp did lead the Hawks in points during the season but was mostly disappointing in the playoffs.

You think the Blues will have any interest? Considering his contract I doubt it.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Patrick Sharp is available...Interested?

Post by STLADOGG »

No.
Have the Blues-Blackhawks ever made a trade?
I can't think of any at the moment.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

STLADOGG wrote:No.
only minor ones recently (didn't we dump Toivonen on them?)

no way we get Sharp.

The scuttlebut is Seabrook or Sharp as likely candidates for trade if they decide to clear cap space to make room for a #2 center.

Morning show on the score had a canadian professor on (from Vancouver) who is about to publish a scholarly article on the effects of age on production in the NHL. Nothing that would surprise you (dmen take longer to develop but have longer peaks, goalies dodn't follow any pattern at all, players who play a 'soft' game tend to have longer peaks, etc). His key points were
1) the Hawks are in the best shape of the current contenders because of their relatively young core which he describes as 'critical' to success
2) for forwards, peak years are 25 to 31 and after that you should expect age related decline in production

since Sharp is 32 they specifically brought up the idea the Hawks moving him since he's got the highest cap hit, didn't do much in the playoffs, and is over 31. The guy said he thought that was possible but declined a straight up trade for Kesler on behalf of the Canucks.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Flyingnote, I heard the Score too but the noon show. You're right about Seabrook. They criticized him for his inconsistency. They said at times he's an all star while at times he looks like he belongs in juniors. So he could be available too.

They said they would trade Sharp AND Seabrook straight up for Ryan Kesler of Vancouver!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yep. I'd love to have him, but no way the Blackhawks ship him here.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I think they hang on to Sharp one more year. Kane and Toews' cap hit this season will be the same as their previous deals they signed ($6.5 or something I think). The only "whopper" the Hawks are facing THIS season is Crawford's raise that enters the equation. Unless I miss my guess they'd be far more willing to move Oduya (we already assume they're moving Versteeg who has a ridiculous $3.25 cap hit or something like that) and one or two other guys than give up on Sharp but it's possible.

But, they may also just cut their losses and move him this season to avoid having to do it next season.

To answer your question: no. He's not a #1 center, or at least not the kind the Blues need. I think he's better overall than Backes but for the amount we'd be paying him I'd be more interesting in someone else first.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't want sharp. He's a good player, but older and more expensive than I want for what he brings.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Yep. I'd love to have him, but no way the Blackhawks ship him here.
Absolutely not. I think that's the greater point. IF, and I mean IF the Hawks trade him, it'll be to Northeastern Canada or something to ensure they don't have to face him very often. In that regard I'd think it'd be safe to assume the Central Division is not a trade partner option for them.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

No. I will be happy if he's out of Chicago though. He always seemed to be one of those annoying, pesky guys....like all Blackhawks are.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Hawks wouldn't trade him here unless we severely overpaid. So no thanks.
But good riddance. Hope he leaves the Hawks.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I don't see Sharp being traded - it would upset a LOT of female Hawks fans. Patrick Sharp is the Brad Pitt of the NHL - believe me - they line up for him. There would be a revolt if he left and my wife would be leading the charge :)

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Flyingnote, I heard the Score too but the noon show. You're right about Seabrook. They criticized him for his inconsistency. They said at times he's an all star while at times he looks like he belongs in juniors. So he could be available too.

They said they would trade Sharp AND Seabrook straight up for Ryan Kesler of Vancouver!
That's just speculation. I dont' see them tearing up the core. We haven't had a 2nd line center in 5 years and won 2 cups without one. I would like to see Nick Leddy leave and we need to get a backup goalie for Crawford who showed he's just an average at best goalie.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Flyingnote, I heard the Score too but the noon show. You're right about Seabrook. They criticized him for his inconsistency. They said at times he's an all star while at times he looks like he belongs in juniors. So he could be available too.

That's just speculation. I dont' see them tearing up the core. We haven't had a 2nd line center in 5 years and won 2 cups without one. I would like to see Nick Leddy leave and we need to get a backup goalie for Crawford who showed he's just an average at best goalie.
If I'm the Hawks: Kane, Toews, Sharp, Seabrook, Keith are about as untouchable as you can get. You could even potentially add Hjarlmarsson (sp) and Hossa.

With those 7 players and a decent supporting cast (as the Hawks have done) you have a chance at a cup virtually every season. Until there is a seriously noticeable, non-fleeting decline in one of those players' games... they're not being moved. Or it'd be ridiculous to do so. Hossa is getting up there in age but you wouldn't know if from the games I've seen of the guy. He's right there with Kane and Toews, almost 10 years younger than him.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

I would think Hossa could be gone too. He was a huge disappointment in the playoffs. Most games he was invisible. I know they say he could've been injured but still.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I would think Hossa could be gone too. He was a huge disappointment in the playoffs. Most games he was invisible. I know they say he could've been injured but still.
Hossa is a great defensive forward so he is very noticeable out there with that part of his game. But yes his scoring is down but he's 35.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Kerfuffle wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I would think Hossa could be gone too. He was a huge disappointment in the playoffs. Most games he was invisible. I know they say he could've been injured but still.
Hossa is a great defensive forward so he is very noticeable out there with that part of his game. But yes his scoring is down but he's 35.
I would think the Hawks would move him if they got something good for him.