P-D's Q&A with Tom Stillman

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

P-D's Q&A with Tom Stillman

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... gw.twitter

Blues owner Tom Stillman and his group of investors put many resources into this year’s team, and like the national experts, believed that the club had the potential to win its first Stanley Cup.

The Blues signed Alex Pietrangelo among others to a long-term contract, spent to the salary cap and made a blockbuster deal for goalie Ryan Miller at the NHL trading deadline.

But despite the financial and emotional investment, the Blues’ hopes came crashing down in late April with a first-round playoff loss to Chicago.

In his first public comments since the postseason ended, Stillman sat down for a Q & A with the Post-Dispatch last week:

Q: The buildup to the Stanley Cup playoffs was as big in St. Louis as it has been in many years this season, but the air was let out of the city with the early exit. What was your reaction to the way the season ended?

Stillman: Well, our reaction was great disappointment. We had very high expectations and we didn’t meet them. So we licked our wounds for a while and now we’re back up and working on getting better for next year. It’s all we can do. We’re disappointed, we didn’t do what we thought we could do, but it’s not going to do us any good to pout about it or to throw anybody under the bus. We want to make sure our team is cohesive and performs well next year, so we’re moving forward and we’re going to do what we can to improve our performance. That’s all we can do.

Q: From the owner’s perspective, do you see the Blues as still being positioned well for success, or do you believe any changes need to be made?

Stillman: As much as we were disappointed, at the same time it’s clear that we are not far away from breaking through. Mainly for that reason, I don’t think anybody is thinking that we should blow everything up. Also, even if somebody did think that, it’s not something that you can really do in today’s league. But, again, I don’t think that’s what is needed. The hockey (operations) people, led by (general manager Doug Armstrong), have made a lot of assessments, they’re continuing that work and they are looking at and working on anything that can make us a better team next year.

Q: How did the lack of more home playoff games and thus increased gate revenue impact the franchise?

Stillman: Obviously the result is we didn’t get revenue from a second round, third round or more, so it does hit us that way. But my view of a rational way to construct a budget for a business is not to include revenue that you’re not pretty certain to get. I don’t think it’s a great idea to build a budget and assume lots of playoff rounds. You can’t base your finances on that when you don’t know it’s going to happen. So strictly on the business or financial side, we hadn’t counted on absolutely getting that revenue. We have tried to stay prudent and sound in our financial practices, including our budgeting practices.

Q: How is the organization doing financially?

Stillman: We’re doing better. We’re more stable. But we have a ways to go to reach our goal of being a really sound, stable franchise with a secure long-term future. We still have some work to do.

Q: The 2013-14 season was one in which the NHL salary cap came down and the Blues’ payroll increased, putting the club near the $64.3 million cap ceiling. With the cap projected at $71.1 million in 2014-15, where do you foresee the club’s budget?

Stillman: We haven’t decided on an absolute, final salary number, but I know that we’ll put a competitive team on the ice and our cap number will be very respectable.

Q: New ownership has pulled the trigger on several hefty contracts and signed off on some significant trades, but the moves didn’t produce the desired results. How will that affect your decision-making process in the future?

Stillman: I think that when we make decisions, we need to look forward for the most part. I feel that the vast majority of the decisions we’ve made have panned out very well. I believe Doug has done an excellent job in assembling this roster and putting together trades and contracts that have made us a much stronger team. You’re not going to hit a home run every time you try something. But I don’t think you can react to that by pulling your horns in too much and never doing anything again. I think that would be counter-productive.

Q: How is owning the Blues compared to how you envisioned it?

Stillman: The answer really is, I don’t know that I had a well-formed vision of how this would be. To the extent there was one, it wasn’t a view that we’re going to walk in, take over and everything was just going to go straight through the roof. I’ve had a parallel experience, taking over a beer business 20 years ago, and that was not a smooth ride for a lot of those years. It takes time and effort, and trial and error, to get an organization where you want it to go. On the hockey side, to me, it’s been not very much trial and error. It’s been trial and success with most of the moves that have been made. Again, we didn’t end up where we wanted to this year, but we’re going to keep at it.

Q: Despite the disappointment in this year’s playoffs, do you feel like you still have most fans behind you?

Stillman: Yeah, I do. I’ve been really gratified by the number of people that have come up and said, ‘I know it didn’t turn out the way you wanted to, but it was a great season, keep it up, we’re with the Blues.’ We have a loyal fan base and I think we’re going to have a lot of support going forward.

Q: But there are critics. How do you respond to the “same old Blues” sentiment?

Stillman: I guess the best response is to keep working hard at what we’re trying to do and hope those fans see that. As much as a fan may be disappointed or heartbroken, I hope that he or she understands that we have that feeling on steroids here (in the Blues’ offices). I don’t think anyone wants this organization to get there more than the people who are working on it here day after day. We can say lots of things, but we’re going to keep at it, and I hope people see that.

Q: Brett Hull rejoined the Blues before the season, in part, to help the organization re-connect with the business community. Has Hull’s presence helped and how has he performed?

Stillman: Brett has gotten off to a good start and has done some good work. He’s been able to open some doors and get some revenue-generating deals done. I think he’ll only get better from here. In some ways, I think the organization needs to learn how to make use of Brett better. But I think that’ll just get better and better.

Q: There’s been fairly strong speculation that the Blues will change their uniforms for the 2014-15 season. Is that true?

Stillman: Yeah, I think we should break some news right here. We’re going back to the clown uniforms (with the diagonal red stripes that the Blues wore in the mid-1990s.).

Q: Your smile tells us that you’re kidding about that. So is it true? Will there be a uniform change?

Stillman: Let’s talk about that another time.

Jeremy is a reporter at the Post-Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter at @jprutherford.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: P-D's Q&A with Tom Stillman

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Nothing stood out too much. He said most of the standard things we expect. I really do feel like these guys want to win though. Some of the questions seemed to be tailored to try and see if he was going to talk more about the hockey side or the financial side. Based on what I read here, I don't think it's just about making money.

That's a yes to new jerseys though. I don't know why you'd dodge the question otherwise.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Yawn. No changes, no one takes responsibility for the collapse, wash, rinse, repeat.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Yawn. No changes, no one takes responsibility for the collapse, wash, rinse, repeat.
What is your definition of a collapse? We played badly at the end of the season while dealing with a completely absurd rash of injuries and came back to play a competitive series against the reigning champs and eventual conference finalists.. It's not like we got swept by Dallas or something.

They've fired the PP and goalie coaches - that sounds like some changes. And I think those are the right changes. We have a group of players consistently making the playoffs the last few years. Stillman is right - you don't just blow that up.

I hope he sticks around, because I think that's the thing the franchise needs the most - steady, determined, cool-headed ownership and leadership.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Yawn. No changes, no one takes responsibility for the collapse, wash, rinse, repeat.
I'm curious what your reaction next year would be if the Blues make a run to the WCF or even the SCF. Would you completely change your tune and admit staying the course was right? Or would you just be unhappy that the Blues didn't win 82 games and then sweep everybody in the playoffs?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
I'm curious what your reaction next year would be if the Blues make a run to the WCF or even the SCF. Would you completely change your tune and admit staying the course was right? Or would you just be unhappy that the Blues didn't win 82 games and then sweep everybody in the playoffs?
Nyghtewynd makes me look like Mr. Sunshine. I tend to ignore his rantings.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

drwoland wrote:What is your definition of a collapse?
Losing 10 of 12, being outscored 46-19 over those games; allowing 4 or more goals in 9 of last 20 games; being shut out 6 times over that period and scoring one in 5 other games; dropping to 28th in scoring in the second half of the season; getting 12 goals in 47 games played out of Backes & Steen after getting 48 goals in 95; going 13-13-1 after the Olympics after going 39-10-6 before it...you get the picture. It wasn't about injuries-the decline dates to February/early March when only Tarasenko and Sobotka were out. It had more to do with a lack of scoring (highlighted by a useless power play) and a suddenly very porous defense. A collapse definitely did occur and I hope, whatever is being said for public consumption, that responsibility is being taken for it within the organization.

I have wondered toward the end of the last couple seasons if Hitchcock's system asks too much of players physically throughout the season. The squad has seemed banged-up and burned out the last couple springs. I wasn't really surprised that a player returning from injury, the kids and a fourth-liner were our biggest sparks in the playoffs.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The only thing I am really upset about is with the way the team played at the very end of the season, which cost them the division title and therefore not having to play Chicago in the 1st round. That was the collapse. The way they played in the playoffs was, well...impressive...aside from the power play.
There is no shame in losing to the Hawks. Yes, it sucks...but they are the defending cup champs and could have easily won it again this year. It just so happens the matchup that could have/should have been the conf. final was in the first round.

I'm all for a jersey change. I like their current ones, they are fine...but they aren't classic looking enough for me. Bring back the stipe(s) at the bottom. Get rid of the piping. Get rid of the swoosh-wavy stripe on the pants. Don't (Franking) touch the Bluenote. Get rid of the 3rd jersey...I'm tired of it. It looks nice and all...but it has run it's course.
Just...keep...it...simple. Please.

Oh...and a prediction...we get an outdoor game this year. We better.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cprice12 wrote:Oh...and a prediction...we get an outdoor game this year. We better.
I predict Blues @ Wild in an outdoor game.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW