WHY on earth didn't the Blues get Gaborik??

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

WHY on earth didn't the Blues get Gaborik??

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

He was there for the taking! He is the leading goal scorer among ALL players in the playoffs! If the Blues had Gaborik that likely would've been the difference against the Hawks and the Blues would be playing the Kings right now!

They should've gotten Gaborik instead of Miller and just gone with the duo of Halak and Elliot!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: WHY on earth didn't the Blues get Gaborik??

Post by dmiles2186 »

Hindsight is always 20/20. If Doug Armstrong knew all of the things that you just said, he might have gone after him. However, the Blues can go after him as a FA on July 1.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

I think 3/4 of Gaborik's success (at least 5 on 5) with LA is Kopitar. The guy is an exquisite passer. The reason Gaborik didn't do so well at Minnesota is that they also didn't have an elite passer of Kopitar's caliber. Of course there's powerplay goals, which Blues didn't score a lot of. And here I gladly fall back on Dmiles' hindsight argument. No one expected the Blues to come up barren on the PP.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

I don't think we had the cap space for him.

Cap hit
Gaborik 7.5M
Miller 5M (Buf ate 1.25M of his 6.25M)
Ott 3.2M
Stewart 4.2M
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ComradeT wrote:I think 3/4 of Gaborik's success (at least 5 on 5) with LA is Kopitar he guy is an exquisite passer. The reason Gaborik didn't do so well at Minnesota is that they also didn't have an elite passer of Kopitar's caliber. Of course there's powerplay goals, which Blues didn't score a lot of. And here I gladly fall back on Dmiles' hindsight argument. No one expected the Blues to come up barren on the PP.
I beg to differ. Even Bernie M pointed out that the last 39 games of the season the Blues were 28th in scoring! Being 28th in scoring likely won't even win you a single round much less a Cup! They knew about their scoring troubles but for some dumb reason they choose to ignore it.

I do agree the Kings are probably the best team in the league for a talent like Gaborik BUT he could've still helped here a lot more than Miller did!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Even Bernie M pointed out that the last 39 games of the season the Blues were 28th in scoring! Being 28th in scoring likely won't even win you a single round much less a Cup! They knew about their scoring troubles but for some dumb reason they choose to ignore it.
This is what worries me going forward and why I could pull the trigger on canning Armstrong. The Blues started playing poorly in early/mid-March when only Tarasenko (and maybe Sobotka) were out. A misconception is that those struggles tracked to our goaltenders' performance when in fact the telling variation was the way scoring, most especially goals from Steen (28G in first 45 games, 5 in last 23) and Backes (20 in first 50, 7 in last 25-including 5 in two games and 2 in the other 23), fell off precipitously. Not to call out just those two-there were others as well , Roy & Berglund jumping to mind; the entire third and fourth lines stopped producing anything. I raise my eyebrows at Armstrong, given these trends, and not knowing when/if Tarasenko was coming back, decided to trade Stewart in a package to bring in Miller. It seems like he had just decided earlier in the season to pursue a goalie and he wasn't going to let circumstances affect that. I don't think it's good to be that dogmatic at GM. We'll see how this turns out.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

WHY on earth didn't the Blues draft Jonathan Toews?

If you have the ability to see into the future please go talk to the front office about getting a job with the team. That would make all of this so much simpler.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ViPeRx007 wrote:WHY on earth didn't the Blues draft Jonathan Toews?

If you have the ability to see into the future please go talk to the front office about getting a job with the team. That would make all of this so much simpler.
Yeah the what if stuff is just a waste of time.
If your aunt had a pair of balls then she would be your uncle.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I don't think we can even begin to solve this riddle until we answer the still-smoldering question of why Doug Weight wasn't traded!!!11!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21463

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Come on dude.

I'm talking about something that happened less than 2 months ago not over half a DECADE ago! Bernie is not a hockey guy and even he knew the Blues had serious scoring problems the 2nd half of the season. If he knew then the Blues had to know!

They would have been better off going for scoring rather than goaltending.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It is what it is. I'm 100% certain there will be a huge push for offense in the offseason, and the wrong of the Miller trade will be righted. If offense is not addressed before camp opens, then we can seriously questions Armstrong's motives. But one has to believe that the team friendly contract to Elliott and the lack of desire to re-up Miller = freeing money for offense. What the hell else would they spend it on, unless they simply choose to not spend it on anyone.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:It is what it is. I'm 100% certain there will be a huge push for offense in the offseason, and the wrong of the Miller trade will be righted. If offense is not addressed before camp opens, then we can seriously questions Armstrong's motives. But one has to believe that the team friendly contract to Elliott and the lack of desire to re-up Miller = freeing money for offense. What the hell else would they spend it on, unless they simply choose to not spend it on anyone.
I agree but who can the Blues really get? This is not the 80s when there was a ton of 100 point scorers and 50 goal scorers.

Gaborik might be the best available and he has really proven he can score in the playoffs and THAT is what the Blues need! Stastny, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as good for the Avs in the playoffs.
Last edited by JesusNEVERexisted on Fri May 30, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

If you pull up the archives I actually argued we should've. Oh well. Johnson was the "consensus best player available" and the Blues played it safe. Such is our shitty luck.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

WaukeeBlues wrote:

If you pull up the archives I actually argued we should've. Oh well. Johnson was the "consensus best player available" and the Blues played it safe. Such is our shitty luck.
Just like some people said on the PD forum even if the Blues got Toews there is no guarantee he would've turned into the star he is with the Hawks. I totally agree though that Toews would've been a much better pick than Johnson!

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by evil roy »

ComradeT wrote:I think 3/4 of Gaborik's success (at least 5 on 5) with LA is Kopitar. The guy is an exquisite passer. The reason Gaborik didn't do so well at Minnesota is that they also didn't have an elite passer of Kopitar's caliber. Of course there's powerplay goals, which Blues didn't score a lot of. And here I gladly fall back on Dmiles' hindsight argument. No one expected the Blues to come up barren on the PP.
*ahem*

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30598
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

evil roy wrote:
ComradeT wrote:I think 3/4 of Gaborik's success (at least 5 on 5) with LA is Kopitar. The guy is an exquisite passer. The reason Gaborik didn't do so well at Minnesota is that they also didn't have an elite passer of Kopitar's caliber. Of course there's powerplay goals, which Blues didn't score a lot of. And here I gladly fall back on Dmiles' hindsight argument. No one expected the Blues to come up barren on the PP.
*ahem*

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30598
Good job. You knew the real problem for the Blues is scoring. But Moulson?? I doubt he would've helped the Blues get out of the 1st round. Gaborik is the best that was available!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Come on dude.

I'm talking about something that happened less than 2 months ago not over half a DECADE ago! Bernie is not a hockey guy and even he knew the Blues had serious scoring problems the 2nd half of the season. If he knew then the Blues had to know!

They would have been better off going for scoring rather than goaltending.
It doesn't matter if it was months or years ago. Since this thread is entirely hypothetical anyway, let's say we did get Gaborik and still lost. Would you start a thread titled "WHY on earth didn't the Blues get Miller?" I know that you're saying if we got Gaborik we'd still be playing, so I can just as easily say we did get him and we still lost. Neither of us are right or wrong because none of this happened. You only seem to be more correct because you're playing the hindsight game and assuming that anything other than what we did would have been "the right move".

The fact is, there is ALWAYS a better move to make, especially when things go wrong with the one that was made, so all this is doing is breeding negativity, which I know some people thrive on. There's absolutely no benefits from doing this though, in my opinion. Zilch. Zip. None.

I'd just prefer to start today and ask: what can we do right now to improve the team? That's the optimistic angle, anyway. If you want to live in the unchangeable past though and do the woulda-coulda-shoulda thing go right ahead.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Nothing is a guarantee but I definitely think the Blues would've done better picking up offense. You obviously don't bother looking at the numbers. The Blues were 28th in scoring the 2nd half of the season! You aren't going to win jack squat in the playoffs if you're 28th in the league in scoring!

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

23 games after the trade for Miller

39-23=16 games to decide we need offence is stupid. Bernie M is an idiot. If you take the first half of the season you can not expect the team to be what they became with lower scoring. You certainly can't know that's happening based on under 16 games.

Hindsight is 20/20

The Blues were winning
Oct 7-1-2 ...3.8 GPG
Nov 11-3-1...3.4 GPG
Dec 9-3-2...3.6 GPG
Jan 9-5-0...3.2 GPG
Feb 3-2-1...2.5 GPG
Trade
Mar 11-3-1...2.9 GPG
Apr 2-6-0...1.0 GPG
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Really the turning point was the switch away from the white mask. After that the entire team just wasn't the same.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024