reason for optimism?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

reason for optimism?

Post by flyingnote38 »

Blues hired Jim Corsi as their new goalie coach. I have no clue if he's any good at this, but he's been in the league for 20 years so probably can do more than just tell Allen "square to the shooter." At arms length, the Blues' moves on the goalie coach front look a bit strange: Hirsh got fired because Armstrong dealt for Miller who underachieved in the playoffs and is being replaced by someone who coached Miller for approximately 40 times longer although he's not being hired to coach Miller.

So why optimism? Because he is the Corsi. In a recent interview, Armstrong stated he doesn't rely on advanced metrics much in decision making. So even if this is an unintentional aspect of the addition, at least now we have a person in the building with an interest in advanced metrics.

Perhaps he can help stave off some of Armstrong's 'good' ideas.

here's a recent piece on 5 years of Corsi for current (and a few former) Blues players from SLGT

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2014/5/2 ... s-of-corsi

The guys at the top Steen to Schwartz, are "better than average". All but Shattenkirk were Blues property when Armstrong became GM. Of the 10 players with negative Corsi's, 7 are Armstrong acquisitions as GM including the 2 "below average" players, Ott and Lapierre. Somewhat 'surprisingly', of those two, it is Lapierre who ranks among the 10 worst players in the league over the last 5 years. Many of us reacted to Ott's acquisition with "Don't we have 5 of him already?" perhaps we should have asked "Don't we already have 5 more of him than we should want to have?"

In SLGT's season grades for forwards it was pointed out that having Ott on the ice was the equivalent of playing a man short.

"Ott is hard to grade. Not because I'm baffled about his contributions, or lack therof. Mostly I'm not sure what the lowest possible grade you can give. In Ott's 23 regular season games, having him on the ice was basically the same as killing a penalty. His Corsi of -11.66 was Buffalo plus St. Louis. 50.0% is St. Louis only. -12 in St. Louis and -36 for the season. F minus with Double Secret Probation"

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2014/5/1 ... s-part-two
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: reason for optimism?

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Eventhough he's coached some good goalies he's only been part of mostly losing teams. That culture of losing is something the Blues have been trying to shake for DECADES especially in the playoffs!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Eventhough he's coached some good goalies he's only been part of mostly losing teams. That culture of losing is something the Blues have been trying to shake for DECADES especially in the playoffs!
By your logic, coach Q must have been the losing coach. Well, thank heavens the Blues shipped him to Chicago...
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

ComradeT wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Eventhough he's coached some good goalies he's only been part of mostly losing teams. That culture of losing is something the Blues have been trying to shake for DECADES especially in the playoffs!
By your logic, coach Q must have been the losing coach. Well, thank heavens the Blues shipped him to Chicago...

I don't mean to burst your bubble but he coached the Avs for 3 seasons before heading to Chicago...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

I don't mean to burst your bubble but he coached the Avs for 3 seasons before heading to Chicago...
:doh: Forgot all about it!!! My point was though that the Blues weren't trying shake the culture of losing. They kept making bad moves, coach Q's departure and the ensuing coaching fiascoes included.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Yea, but who's your most disappointing Blue?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Plus don't forget a lot of people thought we should've kept Q. He had the most success here than any coach in almost 30 years! A trip to the semis is as rare as a Dino sighting for the Blues! :letsgoblues: :notenough:

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Plus don't forget a lot of people thought we should've kept Q. He had the most success here than any coach in almost 30 years! A trip to the semis is as rare as a Dino sighting for the Blues! :letsgoblues: :notenough:
I totally agree with your last statement. In fact, that was exactly the argument I was making. In fact, I was one of the people who didn't want to see coach Q go.

Did you just contradict yourself a little there?

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

I think Q had to go when he did...he wasn't connecting with the team anymore...they had shut him out

Last season with the Blues
61gp 29w 23l 7t 2otl 0.549 win%
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Comrade, I'm not contradicting myself. The Blues are still quite a ways away to being on the level of the Hawks or definitely the Kings. They have a poor record against other west coast teams like the Ducks and Sharks.

A goalie coach from a losing team isn't much reason for optimism.