Blues Re-Sign Brian Elliott to 3 year deal

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues Re-Sign Brian Elliott to 3 year deal

Post by STLADOGG »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Everybody knew that the Miller trade was high-risk, high-reward the moment we made it. Sometimes those trades fail, but I'm happy that A) Armstrong was willing to take a shot on one and B) that ownership doesn't make a GM's job hinge on a high-risk high-reward trade succeeding. You know what happens when a GM's job depends on it working perfectly? YOu get a GM afraid to pull the trigger on a move that might put you over the top. This one didn't work. Hopefully the next one does.

The problem I had with the trade is that it wasn't needed cause Halak was rocking in net and had carried you guys til that point to a great record and season. It's the old adage 'don't fix it if it isn't broken'. Well Armstrong tried to fix it and made it worse. What he should have spent the money on was another sniper to lead the attack.
The problem with Halak was the Olympics. He was terrible during them and with the trade deadline right around the corner, the decision was made.
I honestly believe if Halak had played good at the Olympics, he would still be a Blue.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

I really like this extension / signing. I don't think they gave Ells a fair shake at the number 1 position when Halak was here....and I think he outplayed Halak the majority of the time he was here. I remember just one really bad slump at the beginning of the lockout year and I think that showed the lack of readiness to play do to the lockout. I'm really excited with this signing and am glad they didn't sign Miller. Good for Brian Elliot.

As for the Miller trade....You win some and you lose some. I would have done the same thing as Armstrong expecting Ryan Miller to single handedly win some games when needed. He didn't do that. I was actually really surprised by Millers performance and thought he could have / should have been better. He just didn't mesh well with our team. Move on.

I am currently in the "Horde all the draft picks we can" bandwagon though as our prime prospect pool is deteriorating.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Doesn't this mean that Miller is gone and Elliot and Allen are the Blues goalies?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:You guys can't get rid of Jake Allen - he is thought to be a phenom in the making. But....you also can't just promote him to be your #1 when he's completely untested at the NHL level - we saw what happened to the Penguins GM by just sitting pat with Fleury in net surrounded by superstar forwards. I think Allen needs a serious look as a backup next year.
Allen will be the backup next year unless he wins the starting job. Depth chart today is:

1. Elliott
2. Allen

I don't think they will stop Allen from moving up the depth chart just for the sake of keeping him backup. But, he will have to earn whatever he gets. If he is brilliant from day 1, sucks to be Elliott, but that's a good problem for an organization to have.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Doesn't this mean that Miller is gone and Elliot and Allen are the Blues goalies?
Yep. Armstrong confirmed this in his press conference.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Obviously I am not Armstrong's biggest fan but I did say the goalie call was a decision I was comfortable with him making. I think this is a good signing. Very reasonable money.

I also think we are not done in goal. We won't be signing Miller, Hiller, Halak or similar but we likely need to sign a depth guy unless you think we can avoid any injuries in goal next season. Someone to be Dwayne Roloson to Allen's Brent Johnson. So guys like Peters or McKenna sound like candidates.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Everybody knew that the Miller trade was high-risk, high-reward the moment we made it. Sometimes those trades fail, but I'm happy that A) Armstrong was willing to take a shot on one and B) that ownership doesn't make a GM's job hinge on a high-risk high-reward trade succeeding. You know what happens when a GM's job depends on it working perfectly? YOu get a GM afraid to pull the trigger on a move that might put you over the top. This one didn't work. Hopefully the next one does.

The problem I had with the trade is that it wasn't needed cause Halak was rocking in net and had carried you guys til that point to a great record and season. It's the old adage 'don't fix it if it isn't broken'. Well Armstrong tried to fix it and made it worse. What he should have spent the money on was another sniper to lead the attack.
If you watched Halak play game in and game out, you'd understand why the Blues' organization and most fans just didn't have the confidence in him.
He wasn't "rocking" this season. His numbers were good/decent, but he was injury prone and seemed to lack the strength needed mentally...evidenced by him not wanting to play against the Blues when we faced Washington. His glove hand was pretty bad, and he couldn't handle the puck to save his life.

Yes, he had great numbers in previous seasons and played great for stretches, but he made you nervous in net because his couple of weaknesses were glaring and bit him in the ass more times than I care to count. When you can't stick handle the puck and you can't hold on to pucks in the trapper, those two weaknesses tend to lead to goals of the embarrassing & deflating variety.

Saying Armstrong should have spend the money on a sniper is easier said than done...especially at the trade deadline. They tried to improve up front, but nothing could be worked out.
It should be easier in the offseason to acquire help up front...and I fully expect them to do so...especially now that our goaltending is secured at a bargain price.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

The Miller trade is hard to parce. Personally, I agree with some above that it didn't work out and Miller himself was disappointing but also I don't blame Armstrong for making the trade. He tried, and it didn't work out. And it wasn't some crazy reach: Halak was something like 18th in the league in sv%-that was masked by him being on a team that was second-best at preventing shots, keeping overall GA low. My thinking on that has evolved a bit. I do think we need more grit on the blueline: the Blues prevented shots but given the low overall number of shots, I feel like we probably allow a disproportionate number in close range to the goal on redirections, rebounds, etc. Just a feeling, because the low sv% our goalies sported all season and in the playoffs on a team that looks so good in most defensive metrics is something that needs fixing.

This was the right decision. We've got an experienced goalie who's shown he has the skills to compete in the NHL and yet has a chip on his shoulder and an up-and-coming prospect whose best years are ahead of him. We went from having a potential $7M yearly investment in goal to having $3.1M. Can't imagine there aren't plans to make use of that cash...

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Doesn't this mean that Miller is gone and Elliot and Allen are the Blues goalies?
Wow, so Armstrong said Miller is gone? I wonder if Miller goes to the Ducks.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Looking up the cap hit on the Elliot deal I discovered that capgeek has advanced to the 2014-5 season for the Blues, it looks odd to see the current 4th highest paid forward on the Blues being Paajarvi

Of course that is with Schwartz, Berglund and Sobotka as RFAs so no salary listed.

No sure I'd call Armstrong's task of acquiring offensive talent as being "easier" this offseason than it would have been at the deadline. We certainly have less assets to trade at this point.

Reading Garrioch's latest on Spezza, he feels the first rounder is pretty important to them even if it's window dressing since they don't have their first having dealt it to the Ducks in the Bobby Ryan trade. I could see possibly doing it if we got back Ottawa's 2nd and could part with a lesser prospect.....maybe Berglund, Wannstrom, 1st for Spezza and 2nd?
(Maybe we can deal Barulin and Grachev to Calgary for their best player)
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I doubt the ducks take a flyer on him.

Miller lost MILLIONS of dollars with his play to end the season.

Guy will be looking for a mid range one year deal with a club option and performance incentives rather than the giant payday he was expecting, imo... but idk, there are some absolutely dumb teams out there, lol.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

The top 3 destinations for Miller are Anaheim, San Jose, and Vancouver. All 3 teams need a goalie and Miller has stated his desire to play in California where his wife is.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Kerfuffle wrote:The top 3 destinations for Miller are Anaheim, San Jose, and Vancouver. All 3 teams need a goalie and Miller has stated his desire to play in California where his wife is.
lol, sure... Vancouver maybe.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kerfuffle wrote:The top 3 destinations for Miller are Anaheim, San Jose, and Vancouver. All 3 teams need a goalie and Miller has stated his desire to play in California where his wife is.
I've heard Minny is looking at him too.
TW Tiger Woods TW

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

STLADOGG wrote:
So is Washington and the Penguins but Miller's top choice is to play in California so that makes Anaheim and San Jose the 2 best places that will land him. I can't see him signing in the mess that is Vancouver right now.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kerfuffle wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
So is Washington and the Penguins but Miller's top choice is to play in California so that makes Anaheim and San Jose the 2 best places that will land him. I can't see him signing in the mess that is Vancouver right now.
Yeah, seems like Ducks are the favorite.
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Wow, so Armstrong said Miller is gone? I wonder if Miller goes to the Ducks.
Here's the money quote:

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Good to see everyone's excited about trading Chris Stewart, a prospect, and two picks for nothing, and that we're going into the season with a career backup and a minor league prospect in goal.

THE CUP IS OURS!

:roll:

I can't think of a more St. Louis Blues thing to be excited about. The fact that everyone still has a job after this debacle is just depressing. One of the worst trades in team history, and no one is responsible. Everything is great. Right.
We would give up more to keep Miller. At least this was cutting our (admitted) losses, and gives us what we would've paid Miller in salary cap space to use elsewhere. I think that's what the excitement is about. Plus, we have a 2014 first round pick now, which I think is huge.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm curious how Miller will be received in his next visit here. I'll probably treat him like any other goalie. He didn't do anything to warrant a big ovation from me, nor was he here long enough to get one just cuz. But, I can't see myself booing him either. I hope he doesn't get booed.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I agree, Spezza is ours for the taking and maybe also Stastny, which would render this a pretty amazing offseason regardless of whatever else they do.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024