Clarence Campbell Conference Final : Chicago v Los Angeles

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Clarence Campbell Conference Final : Chicago v Los Angel

Post by flyingnote38 »

the game of the season tonight. Two teams that tend to win these sort of elimination games and the past two Cup winners to boot.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

flyingnote38 wrote:the game of the season tonight. Two teams that tend to win these sort of elimination games and the past two Cup winners to boot.
The action tonight has been UNREAL! This is most exciting hockey has been in 20 years! Now it's tied 4-4 going into OT!

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Great series - we just couldn't hold a lead all series long. These guys will win the cup easily over NY. Meet your new dynasty.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

The Hawks got ROBBED on that 1st goal! Should've been blown dead!

Carter was about a FOOT offsides on the 1st goal! A FOOT! Hawks would've likely won by a goal if the refs actually did their job! I know you guys hate the Hawks but you want the refs to not be blind! Next time the call could go against the Blues!

LOOK!

http://t.co/XVXtetGTuH

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Hawks got ROBBED on that 1st goal! Should've been blown dead!

Carter was about a FOOT offsides on the 1st goal! A FOOT! Hawks would've likely won by a goal if the refs actually did their job! I know you guys hate the Hawks but you want the refs to not be blind! Next time the call could go against the Blues!

LOOK!

You have to be a (Franking) Hawks fan.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kerfuffle wrote:Great series - we just couldn't hold a lead all series long. These guys will win the cup easily over NY. Meet your new dynasty.
Yeah I said that a couple of years ago. They just are so perfect for the playoffs.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:Great series - we just couldn't hold a lead all series long. These guys will win the cup easily over NY. Meet your new dynasty.
Yeah I said that a couple of years ago. They just are so perfect for the playoffs.
What frustrates me is every regular season, while we're cruising along, LA is dealing with up's, down's, terrible offense, etc. etc. etc. and then they hit the playoffs and become Gods among men.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

STLADOGG wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Hawks got ROBBED on that 1st goal! Should've been blown dead!

LOOK!

You have to be a (Frank) Hawks fan.
I did get wrapped up in their playoff run and Cup runs because they've been incredible and have gotten better local ratings in Chicago than any other hockey city in the USA! In case you haven't noticed people all over the continent have gotten wrapped up in the Hawks amazing run!

Many hockey fans pick a team to follow once their team is gone. Plus Kerfuffle is on here and an avowed Hawks fan.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:

LOOK!

You have to be a (Frank) Hawks fan.
I did get wrapped up in their playoff run and Cup runs because they've been incredible and have gotten better local ratings in Chicago than any other hockey city in the USA! In case you haven't noticed people all over the continent have gotten wrapped up in the Hawks amazing run!

Many hockey fans pick a team to follow once their team is gone. Plus Kerfuffle is on here and an avowed Hawks fan.
Call me a bitter loser but while the Hawks run has been great (any long post-season run is), I wouldn't call it amazing. This is still very much the same team that won the SC last year and they had to get through good but still-unproven Blues and Wild. Same goes for the Kings, but I would argue that their road was much tougher based on how Sharks and Ducks have played all season... And how they've played them, too. At any rate, seeing Hawks and Kings battle it out is great but not amazing. Seeing the Blues battle the Wild (not sure if that was actually possible based on regular season placement) would be amazing, and not just for the Blues/Wild fans, but from a historical perspective as well.

Disclaimer: All that is IMHO and based on my own personal understanding of the term "amazing".
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I despise both these teams. My preferred outcome was for their planes to collide midair and declare the rangers champs by default.

If you want to pick another team to root for, that's ur call.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I despise both these teams. My preferred outcome was for their planes to collide midair and declare the rangers champs by default.

If you want to pick another team to root for, that's ur call.
This guy gets it, right here. I don't know how any Blues fan can root for either of these teams.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Comrade, it IS amazing! They were saying in the Chicago media this Hawks team is having the greatest sports run in Chicago SPORTS history only next to the Bulls of the 90's. The Hawks still have four to six years left with Kane & Toews so they could still win more Cups in the years ahead.

They were saying real anger is when the 14-2 Bears lost to Jay Schroeder in the playoffs! LMAO! There is no shame in losing to the Kings who are a world class team!

Put it in perspective..How crazy would St.Louis go if the Blues even won ONE Cup? The Hawks have 2! I rest my case!

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

I find it interesting the relative clamor here in Chicago over making a change that gives the team a "jolt". Something along the lines of getting a second line center which would require moving a salary(or salaries) to make it happen. Plenty of suggested candidates starting with Seabrook, Hossa, and Sharp. The Hawks have set the bar high enough that missing a 3rd Cup in 5 seasons by essentially 1 goal leads to fans clamoring even louder than Blues fans for accountability. Even Q came under fire today for his dogged reliance on Handzus and Versteeg.

The Hawks have an interesting cap quandry again. They are just $5 Mill under the projected new cap (and actually $4 Mill over the cap in actual out of pocket for next season) and need to sign Toews and Kane to extensions in the next year. They may need to buyout Hossa as has been suggested elsewhere.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Hossa was pretty much a bust the entire playoffs. They say he might have been injured but regardless he was pretty invisible.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

dmiles2186 wrote: What frustrates me is every regular season, while we're cruising along, LA is dealing with up's, down's, terrible offense, etc. etc. etc. and then they hit the playoffs and become Gods among men.
It just shows how meaningless the regular season really is. LA was just average this season and nothing to fear - heck we beat them 3 times. And then the playoffs start and it's a different thing with them. They definitely have a lot of size and a stud goaltender in most series.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

flyingnote38 wrote:I find it interesting the relative clamor here in Chicago over making a change that gives the team a "jolt". Something along the lines of getting a second line center which would require moving a salary(or salaries) to make it happen. Plenty of suggested candidates starting with Seabrook, Hossa, and Sharp. The Hawks have set the bar high enough that missing a 3rd Cup in 5 seasons by essentially 1 goal leads to fans clamoring even louder than Blues fans for accountability. Even Q came under fire today for his dogged reliance on Handzus and Versteeg.

The Hawks have an interesting cap quandry again. They are just $5 Mill under the projected new cap (and actually $4 Mill over the cap in actual out of pocket for next season) and need to sign Toews and Kane to extensions in the next year. They may need to buyout Hossa as has been suggested elsewhere.
They cannot use their 2 buyouts on Hossa because they already used them both last year on Rostislav Orlesz and Steve Montador. Plus the cap hit if Hossa retires early would be a penalty recapture in the range of $4M per year for the next 7 years of the deal. Hossa is the most defensive minded forward out there - I think he still has a good 3-4 years left. We're gonna be in trouble on the last couple years of his deal though.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Kerfuffle wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: What frustrates me is every regular season, while we're cruising along, LA is dealing with up's, down's, terrible offense, etc. etc. etc. and then they hit the playoffs and become Gods among men.
It just shows how meaningless the regular season really is. LA was just average this season and nothing to fear - heck we beat them 3 times. And then the playoffs start and it's a different thing with them. They definitely have a lot of size and a stud goaltender in most series.
The Kings still handled the Blues during the regular season! The Blues did win 1 game 5-0 but I don't think Quick played that game.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
YUP!

You just have to make the dance. That's it.

Also, question: Heard some interesting dialogue on NHL Network radio the other day, wanted your opinion. Well first off I don't really think there was any way to really distinguish these two teams. I don't think there's much of a serious debate that the Blackhawks and Kings are the top 2 in the West. Blues are in the conversation, Ducks are in the conversation, but when you look at the PLAYOFFS the last couple/three years there's no real debate. So I caveat this question by the assumption is just as easily could've been the Hawks winning as the Kings and they were a bounce away from doing it. But I digress:

Do you think the punishing series against the Blues to start off the playoffs wore the Blackhawks down enough to the point that they never TRULY got back to Grade A hockey the rest of the postseason? I think the Hawks played their best series against the Blues and while the Wild were no pushover I feel that getting the Blues right out of the gate beat you down a bit more than you would've been otherwise had you gotten the Wild/Avs first series.

I'm scraping for compliments for the Blues...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk