Hawks refereeing

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Hawks refereeing

Post by ComradeT »

Yep, I'm a homer. But after seeing Keith's extensive stickwork on the Blues, I've been paying a bit more attention and Hawks constantly use their sticks and the refs totally let them walk way beyond the line. Today's non-call on Toews' tripping Suter before Bickell's goal was awful and basically gave Chicago the game. I understand letting the guys play but shit like that has to be called.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Hawks refereeing

Post by flyingnote38 »

ComradeT wrote:Yep, I'm a homer. But after seeing Keith's extensive stickwork on the Blues, I've been paying a bit more attention and Hawks constantly use their sticks and the refs totally let them walk way beyond the line. Today's non-call on Toews' tripping Suter before Bickell's goal was awful and basically gave Chicago the game. I understand letting the guys play but shit like that has to be called.
Its like the Seahawks. Basically commit pass interference every single play and assume the refs aren't going to call it most of the time.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

That sounds like sour grapes guys. Every game, and I mean every game has penalties that are not called against BOTH teams. I can find several that occurred today that should have been called against the Wild but weren't. I see you failed to mention that in your post. I find it annoying when people try to drumbeat the conspiracy theories about the fix being in because penalties weren't called against the team they dislike. The Vancouver site is the worst with this. Detroit tried to play that game as well when we came back and beat them 3-games-to-1. Let's not make the Blues board part of this.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

The Blues had a crap load of PP's no matter what.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:That sounds like sour grapes guys. Every game, and I mean every game has penalties that are not called against BOTH teams. I can find several that occurred today that should have been called against the Wild but weren't. I see you failed to mention that in your post. I find it annoying when people try to drumbeat the conspiracy theories about the fix being in because penalties weren't called against the team they dislike. The Vancouver site is the worst with this. Detroit tried to play that game as well when we came back and beat them 3-games-to-1. Let's not make the Blues board part of this.
I don't think there is a fix in or anything. And the Blues had a shitton of powerplays. No complaints about it in regards to getting powerplays or its impact on a series.

But, Keith does get away with an awful lot of slashes. I'm sure there are others that do too, and the Blues get away with stuff at times as well. But, Keith seems to get away with slashing more than anybody in the league. Not saying it's a conspiracy or anything. Just something I've noticed.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:That sounds like sour grapes guys. Every game, and I mean every game has penalties that are not called against BOTH teams. I can find several that occurred today that should have been called against the Wild but weren't. I see you failed to mention that in your post. I find it annoying when people try to drumbeat the conspiracy theories about the fix being in because penalties weren't called against the team they dislike. The Vancouver site is the worst with this. Detroit tried to play that game as well when we came back and beat them 3-games-to-1. Let's not make the Blues board part of this.
I try not to complain about reffing too often. I always hate to hear, 'The Blues always get screwed!' Main reason is that the overall reffing in the NHL sucks. Period. Everyone gets screwed. We just don't see other teams getting screwed because we're too busy complaining about our team getting screwed.

(This is in no way an insult to anyone in this thread. I'm just saying in general, I've heard too many Blues fans say this type of stuff)

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
I try not to complain about reffing too often. I always hate to hear, 'The Blues always get screwed!' Main reason is that the overall reffing in the NHL sucks. Period. Everyone gets screwed. We just don't see other teams getting screwed because we're too busy complaining about our team getting screwed.

(This is in no way an insult to anyone in this thread. I'm just saying in general, I've heard too many Blues fans say this type of stuff)
Over the course of an entire season, each team probably gets screwed an equal amount. It becomes magnified in the playoffs when we're hoping beyond all hope for our team to get calls in their favor and then something gets missed. I do recall Ott getting away with a slash on someone right ahead of us getting a PP in game 1 or 2. I also remember us getting about 1000000 power plays and scoring on what, 2 of them? I remember a regular season game getting a second chance after an Islanders OT goal that was totally legit was called back for some phantom reasoning. Everyone gets screwed by bad calls. We only notice the ones we care about, and we only care about the ones that go against the Blues. I'd imagine most teams fans are like that.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Never said Blues lost because of it. Just saying what I noticed. Didn't watch the entire Wild/Hawks game either (listened to most of it). That was a blatant trip away from the puck and in the open that led to a goal though. And even if it didn't lead to a goal, that was blatant. Just as the slashes by Keith are blatant, away from the puck and in the open and are not called. That's all I'm saying. No need to get anyone's panties in a kerfuffle.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Star players get away with more crap. The Hawks have a number of star players on their roster.

It's not rocket science.

But the Blues lost the series with the Hawks because they couldn't convert on their PP. Had they been just average on the PP, we'd be playing the Wild right now.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:Star players get away with more crap. The Hawks have a number of star players on their roster.

It's not rocket science.

But the Blues lost the series with the Hawks because they couldn't convert on their PP. Had they been just average on the PP, we'd be playing the Wild right now.
Yeah, and something else that hasn't been mentioned yet is that penalties seem to even out somewhat. It seems like if a team has been called a bunch, the other team starts to get more calls. I know the NHL and its referees would vehemently deny this, but it could be as simple as the Hawks had already been penalized a bunch, so they were hesitant to call more. It just seems like as more penalties are called it becomes less likely that the highly penalized team gets called and more likely that the unpenalized team gets called. I have absolutely nothing to back that up other than perception. It may be wrong, but it's what it seems like happens a lot of the time to me.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote: Yeah, and something else that hasn't been mentioned yet is that penalties seem to even out somewhat. It seems like if a team has been called a bunch, the other team starts to get more calls. I know the NHL and its referees would vehemently deny this, but it could be as simple as the Hawks had already been penalized a bunch, so they were hesitant to call more. It just seems like as more penalties are called it becomes less likely that the highly penalized team gets called and more likely that the unpenalized team gets called. I have absolutely nothing to back that up other than perception. It may be wrong, but it's what it seems like happens a lot of the time to me.
I agree with you and I think it's just human nature to try and even things out subconsciously. We've all seen the proverbial 'make-up call' at times.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STLADOGG wrote:The Blues had a crap load of PP's no matter what.
:lol: :lol: :facepalm: Unfortunately, THIS.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

As a fan of Pronger, I can't really complain about another player getting away with a lot of stickwork. Hell, if the refs aren't calling it, then we should be doing it more too. Can we get Pronger in to give our guys a clinic? While we're at it, sign MacInnis up as the PP coach. This team never takes one-timers from the point. If they do take a point shot, they settle the puck down first and give the d-men and goalie plenty of time to adjust before they send the puck sailing 3 feet wide of the goal. :facepalm:
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now