goalie options

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

goalie options

Post by flyingnote38 »

barring unforeseen train of events, Allen will be half of our goaltending tandem next season. We need an NHL goalie to pair him with. Here are our available options:

1) internal free agents.

Elliott - I am not sure what Elliott needs to do to be considered an NHL starter, but I can't help but think of him as a 1B kind of guy. He is however a top 5 UFA this offseason and the cheaper (in many ways) of our two in house options

Miller - despite the ongoing acrimony over Miller's playoff performance and my views then and now on the trade, Miller remains a viable option. He like Elliott is clearly among the top 5 UFA goalies this offseason. Signing him pre-draft forces a 1st and 3rd for 2nd and 3rd trade; post draft, we owe Buffalo a #2. Neither is that horrible a deal. Biggest issue is how much money we have to sign players and how much would need to go to Miller. We need to bring in high end offensive talent and given the relatively empty cupboard and already trimmed depth, a pricey free agent signing on O seems necessary. If we have $7 million to spend, using that on Miller won't fix our scoring issues.

the other young goalies in the system are not options or next season.

2) trade
again cupboard is fairly bare so a trade for a goalie would deplete assets that could be used to trade for scoring and create further holes possibly that would need to be filled via free agency. The goalies you would want, aren't available (Quick, Rask, for example). Looking at Carolina for instance, they'd drive Ward to St Lou if we'd take their $7 million a year goalie who's lost the starting job off their hands, but could we get them to do a Canucks and deal us the better and more affordable Khudobin?

3) Free agency -- two paths, established veteran starter or younger up and comer (ie 'Elliott' now or 'Elliott' 4 years ago) despite anything I've said about Armstrong, this is actually a call I'm ok with him making

established guys -- Hiller, Thomas, Halak, giguerre
"up and comers"(?) -- Stalock, Greiss, Peters, Gustavsson

proabably also need to sign a AAAA type guy for depth.
Last edited by flyingnote38 on Sat May 03, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: goalie options

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Jiggy had a stretch of some of the most dominating goaltending I've ever seen in Anaheim and so did the Bulin Wall but they are both past their peak.

Elliot's playoff record Iis 6-8 and Miller is 2-4 here. Not sure about Buffalo. Pick your poison.