Halak Traded for 3rd Time This Year--To NYI

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Halak Traded for 3rd Time This Year--To NYI

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Halak Traded for 3rd Time This Year--To NYI

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Mike Sillinger knows the feeling
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

It would be pretty hilarious and very Garth Snow-like if he doesn't sign with them and actually becomes a UFA.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

This doesn't shock me that Washington had no interest in signing him. Glad they got a bag of pucks for him.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:This doesn't shock me that Washington had no interest in signing him. Glad they got a bag of pucks for him.
Why do you say that? He led your team for 5 months til the trade deadline and had you guys in first place. Clearly all these trades seems to signify something is amiss off the ice that maybe we're not aware of. And trading him for a 4th round pick is pretty much a giveaway. I don't know the history on this guy but it seemed like he was solid.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:This doesn't shock me that Washington had no interest in signing him. Glad they got a bag of pucks for him.
Why do you say that? He led your team for 5 months til the trade deadline and had you guys in first place. Clearly all these trades seems to signify something is amiss off the ice that maybe we're not aware of. And trading him for a 4th round pick is pretty much a giveaway. I don't know the history on this guy but it seemed like he was solid.
I never disliked Halak. I never loved him. He was just... there. Unfortunately my biggest memory of him was that he was never healthy enough, long enough, to really put together a whole season. That first year we had him ('10-'11) he played 57 games and that's the best we got from him. Every year after that was something in the 40's range. Had he stayed on the Blues this year he would've approached that 57 mark again so the timing that we deal him this year was a little odd but yea.

As others have said, for reasons maybe partially intangible, the deal for Miller helped us all "feel" better heading towards the playoffs. The traded didn't result in the high expectations we had for Miller and I shudder to think if we surrendered two first round picks for that but such is life. Coulda woulda shoulda

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
The trade from Buffalo to Washington wasn't surprising. They were just flipping him for picks or whatever they got for him. I'm sure their plan was to trade him even before he stepped foot in Buffalo.

When he was in Washington, he requested to sit out against the Blues with the playoffs on the line. That didn't seem to sit well with Oates. Between that and him not getting them in the playoffs (not sure if it was his fault, coincidence or what, but they missed), I'm not shocked that he got moved again.

When he was here, people thought he was OK, but weak-minded. He let in too many softies and didn't seem to maintain focus very well.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Halak was good to great at times. His numbers were probably a bit inflated due to our system
The fact that he refused to play against the Blues in a must win game for the Caps because it was "too soon" after the trade, says it all.
Plus he can't stay healthy.
I wanted to like him, and I thought he could have been good enough for us to win a cup...but I was never completely sold on him. Probably because his glove hand sucks and he can't hold on to the puck with his trapper to save his life.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Interesting points you guys bring up - obviously you guys you knew Halak better. My exposure was more limited to the NHL network discussions on him. I did hear about the "I don't want to play against St. Louis cause it was too soon" thing but when they interviewed the Caps coach he said it wasn't true. I suspected it was true and it's interesting how that stuff leaks out. And yeah I can see how that would show softness to an organization where being a successful goalie involves having confidence. Good discussion.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:Interesting points you guys bring up - obviously you guys you knew Halak better. My exposure was more limited to the NHL network discussions on him. I did hear about the "I don't want to play against St. Louis cause it was too soon" thing but when they interviewed the Caps coach he said it wasn't true. I suspected it was true and it's interesting how that stuff leaks out. And yeah I can see how that would show softness to an organization where being a successful goalie involves having confidence. Good discussion.
I'm curious what your thoughts on Crawford are?

The moment I heard about the deal, first thought: "Way too much money." You guys are going to have your backs against the wall here again in short order with the cap situation and Toews and Kane are looking at raises in the near future, I would guess mid $7 million a year unless they give you a homer discount. He's a good goalie, don't get me wrong but I don't think he's mid $6 million a year good.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Wow Halak is gonna get rich! I mean it's the Isles so probably a lifetime deal at the max! Hopefully they'll want to deal Okposo or Tavares to us to clear some cap space!

so all kidding aside. I don't think Halak begging off playing us was a big deal. I think Oates was desperate to save his job and therefore ratted Halak out, but Oates should have either played him or not played him. He shouldn't have left it up to Halak and if he did, he should have kept that behind closed doors.

I think it just shows how hurt Halak felt over not getting the chance with the Blues in the playoffs.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Via Staple Twitter:

If #Isles sign Halak, Snow says he's not done at G. "Right now we have 0 goalies signed. Probably not wise to go into a season w/ 1 goalie."

Further down the thread someone made the obvious suggestion: sign Halak and Elliott.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

flyingnote38 wrote:Wow Halak is gonna get rich! I mean it's the Isles so probably a lifetime deal at the max! Hopefully they'll want to deal Okposo or Tavares to us to clear some cap space!

so all kidding aside. I don't think Halak begging off playing us was a big deal. I think Oates was desperate to save his job and therefore ratted Halak out, but Oates should have either played him or not played him. He shouldn't have left it up to Halak and if he did, he should have kept that behind closed doors.

I think it just shows how hurt Halak felt over not getting the chance with the Blues in the playoffs.
It was a bitch move by Oates for sure. And, I wonder what kind of impact it will have on him getting future head-coaching jobs. Between him and Ovie's disagreements and him calling out a player in the media in a playoff race, I think he has some baggage.

But, his criticism (or implied criticism) of Halak was valid even if he handled the situation poorly. It speaks volumes about Halak's drives/mental toughness/whatever you want to call it, that he wanted to sit out when the season was on the line. I think he cost himself a bunch of money by it. He could have been shelled by the Blues that night and it would have been forgotten by non-Blues fans pretty quickly. But, his desire to sit out with the season on the line won't be.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I'm curious what your thoughts on Crawford are?

The moment I heard about the deal, first thought: "Way too much money." You guys are going to have your backs against the wall here again in short order with the cap situation and Toews and Kane are looking at raises in the near future, I would guess mid $7 million a year unless they give you a homer discount. He's a good goalie, don't get me wrong but I don't think he's mid $6 million a year good.
I've always been nervous with Crawford in net. In 2011 round 1 we came back from a 0-3 deficit against the Canucks to tie the series and take it to a game 7. Crawford was absolutely brilliant in game 7 and we eventually lost when Chris Campoli had a complete giveway in our end that Crawford had no chance on. But following that game Crawford's stock was high and we signed him to a 3 year deal at around $2.8M. I thought it was good at the time. Next year in 2012 round 1 against Phoenix Crawford was so bad that on consecutive nights in OT at home the Phoenix forward just skated the puck all the way down the ice and into the net - there was never a shot. It was unbelievable seeing our goalie just give away 2 games like that and I was VERY vocal on the Hawks boards that I wanted him run out of town immediately. But they kept him and we won the Stanley Cup the following year - although he showed signs of 'bad Crawford' in game 5 by letting in 5 goals glove side. After winning the cup we gave him a huge deal which I was not fond of. He's been hot and cold this year and just overall inconsistent. Jonathan Quick he is not. So my overall rating for this signing --> C-

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

We might need another goalie...............................................................
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Garth Snow is done fooling around. Halak in the East is money in the bank. The Isles are coming.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:Wow Halak is gonna get rich! I mean it's the Isles so probably a lifetime deal at the max! Hopefully they'll want to deal Okposo or Tavares to us to clear some cap space!

It was a bitch move by Oates for sure. And, I wonder what kind of impact it will have on him getting future head-coaching jobs. Between him and Ovie's disagreements and him calling out a player in the media in a playoff race, I think he has some baggage.

But, his criticism (or implied criticism) of Halak was valid even if he handled the situation poorly. It speaks volumes about Halak's drives/mental toughness/whatever you want to call it, that he wanted to sit out when the season was on the line. I think he cost himself a bunch of money by it. He could have been shelled by the Blues that night and it would have been forgotten by non-Blues fans pretty quickly. But, his desire to sit out with the season on the line won't be.

Just out of curiosity. Anybody think Hitch may have asked Miller if he wanted to start against Buffalo or not?

I think Halak's move was more akin to Robinson or Flood refusing to report to their new team after being traded than Scottie Pippen's refusal to take the court for the final play because it wasn't his shot. I just hope whoever our goalie is next year plays as well as Halak did in a Blues uni the past 4 years.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Garth Snow is done fooling around. Halak in the East is money in the bank. The Isles are coming.
don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I kind of like the idea the Isles fans are floating of trying to sign both Halak and Elliott, figuring that they have proven they can work well as a tandem. Not sure how receptive Elliott would be if Halak is already signed; he might prefer to take his chance to be the defacto #1 here than continue the 1B situation on da island.

As the saying goes, sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until its gone.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

flyingnote38 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Garth Snow is done fooling around. Halak in the East is money in the bank. The Isles are coming.
don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I kind of like the idea the Isles fans are floating of trying to sign both Halak and Elliott, figuring that they have proven they can work well as a tandem. Not sure how receptive Elliott would be if Halak is already signed; he might prefer to take his chance to be the defacto #1 here than continue the 1B situation on da island.

As the saying goes, sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until its gone.
Being serious, actually. The East Conference is a totally different mode of game than the West. A sound team in the West can reach the conference finals or finals. Halak thrived in the East with the Habs, so going to an East team is the best for him, as I've said in a number of earlier posts. I really hope we keep Elliott and spend all the money on firepower up front. Front office has to realize we can't get off cheap on that, nor should we. It's an investment and if we want to win the Cup, it's an investment we have to make.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

flyingnote38 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Just out of curiosity. Anybody think Hitch may have asked Miller if he wanted to start against Buffalo or not?

I think Halak's move was more akin to Robinson or Flood refusing to report to their new team after being traded than Scottie Pippen's refusal to take the court for the final play because it wasn't his shot. I just hope whoever our goalie is next year plays as well as Halak did in a Blues uni the past 4 years.
Miller said it didn't make any difference either way...It was Hitch that decided not Miller...I saw it in a video press conference when it happened...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)