Halak Traded for 3rd Time This Year--To NYI

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Halak Traded for 3rd Time This Year--To NYI

Post by cardsfan04 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:Wow Halak is gonna get rich! I mean it's the Isles so probably a lifetime deal at the max! Hopefully they'll want to deal Okposo or Tavares to us to clear some cap space!

so all kidding aside. I don't think Halak begging off playing us was a big deal. I think Oates was desperate to save his job and therefore ratted Halak out, but Oates should have either played him or not played him. He shouldn't have left it up to Halak and if he did, he should have kept that behind closed doors.

I think it just shows how hurt Halak felt over not getting the chance with the Blues in the playoffs.
It was a bitch move by Oates for sure. And, I wonder what kind of impact it will have on him getting future head-coaching jobs. Between him and Ovie's disagreements and him calling out a player in the media in a playoff race, I think he has some baggage.

But, his criticism (or implied criticism) of Halak was valid even if he handled the situation poorly. It speaks volumes about Halak's drives/mental toughness/whatever you want to call it, that he wanted to sit out when the season was on the line. I think he cost himself a bunch of money by it. He could have been shelled by the Blues that night and it would have been forgotten by non-Blues fans pretty quickly. But, his desire to sit out with the season on the line won't be.

Just out of curiosity. Anybody think Hitch may have asked Miller if he wanted to start against Buffalo or not?

I think Halak's move was more akin to Robinson or Flood refusing to report to their new team after being traded than Scottie Pippen's refusal to take the court for the final play because it wasn't his shot. I just hope whoever our goalie is next year plays as well as Halak did in a Blues uni the past 4 years.
Miller said it didn't make any difference either way...It was Hitch that decided not Miller...I saw it in a video press conference when it happened...
Yeah, Hitch approached Miller about his desires so they could create a goaltending schedule the rest of the way. Only thing Miller cared about was playing the Flyers so he could atone for allowing 4 goals against them. Hitch decided it was better for Elliott to get that start. Never know how much of that is the "public version" vs the real version. Maybe he said, "I'd rather not, but will if you want me to," and that part didn't get leaked to the press. Who knows? But, the way it was reported doesn't make Miller look bad at all.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:Wow Halak is gonna get rich! I mean it's the Isles so probably a lifetime deal at the max! Hopefully they'll want to deal Okposo or Tavares to us to clear some cap space!

so all kidding aside. I don't think Halak begging off playing us was a big deal. I think Oates was desperate to save his job and therefore ratted Halak out, but Oates should have either played him or not played him. He shouldn't have left it up to Halak and if he did, he should have kept that behind closed doors.

I think it just shows how hurt Halak felt over not getting the chance with the Blues in the playoffs.
It was a bitch move by Oates for sure. And, I wonder what kind of impact it will have on him getting future head-coaching jobs. Between him and Ovie's disagreements and him calling out a player in the media in a playoff race, I think he has some baggage.

But, his criticism (or implied criticism) of Halak was valid even if he handled the situation poorly. It speaks volumes about Halak's drives/mental toughness/whatever you want to call it, that he wanted to sit out when the season was on the line. I think he cost himself a bunch of money by it. He could have been shelled by the Blues that night and it would have been forgotten by non-Blues fans pretty quickly. But, his desire to sit out with the season on the line won't be.

Just out of curiosity. Anybody think Hitch may have asked Miller if he wanted to start against Buffalo or not?

I think Halak's move was more akin to Robinson or Flood refusing to report to their new team after being traded than Scottie Pippen's refusal to take the court for the final play because it wasn't his shot. I just hope whoever our goalie is next year plays as well as Halak did in a Blues uni the past 4 years.
Miller said it didn't make any difference either way...It was Hitch that decided not Miller...I saw it in a video press conference when it happened...
Yeah, Hitch approached Miller about his desires so they could create a goaltending schedule the rest of the way. Only thing Miller cared about was playing the Flyers so he could atone for allowing 4 goals against them. Hitch decided it was better for Elliott to get that start. Never know how much of that is the "public version" vs the real version. Maybe he said, "I'd rather not, but will if you want me to," and that part didn't get leaked to the press. Who knows? But, the way it was reported doesn't make Miller look bad at all.
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... rmer-team/

Clip Clip!

ST. LOUIS – A little over a month after he was traded by the Blues to the Buffalo Sabres, Jaroslav Halak returns to the city he played in for the past three and a half years. But he won’t start tonight against St. Louis.

Braden Holtby will start as the Capitals attempt to keep their slim postseason hopes alive because Halak wouldn’t be “comfortable” facing his former team, according to coach Adam Oates, who discussed the decision with goaltending coach Olie Kolzig.

“We know the feelings when you go into your old stomping ground and it’s not always easy and you’re not always comfortable, at least the first time,” Oates said. “We talked to [Halak] and he just wasn’t 100 percent comfortable. Unfortunately this time of year and where we’re at, we can’t afford that and Holts has played great lately. We feel really good about that and Holts is playing.”

As he was walking out of Scottrade Center following the morning skate, Halak confirmed Oates’s comments, stating that the trade was still “fresh” and he didn’t want that to impact his performance in the game.

Nowhere in this or any other article I've read has Halak come out and said he didn't want to play against us. Sure he feels uncomfortable, when you get on a team where everyone is close with one another and then out of nowhere get bounced, it's going to hurt. He's not supposed to have feelings like that? That doesn't say if he was asked to that he wouldn't, he's saying up front that he didn't feel comfortable with it. Who would?

Yes, Halak is a pro, but in this article it's like Oates is making it a bigger deal than it is and that it was his idea to bench Halak for Holtby who has "Been playing great lately". I'm wondering if the Caps wern't trying to trade Holtby and used this as a way of upping his value. Oates screwed up a great deal of things with the Caps, that's why he's gone, so it wouldn't surprise me.

If the Isles pay Halak what he wants, which from all of the speculation I've read is 4m a year for 3-5, I think this won't matter. What Halak wants and keeps saying he wants he will get there: To be the undisputed Starter. They got a talented netminder in their minor system whose name escapes me atm, so maybe they'll use this as a way to bring them into the fold with Halak fronting the pipes.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Are you referring to Anders Nilsson?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:Are you referring to Anders Nilsson?
That's it. Thank you, Glen.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

lel. A 4th round pick. xD
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Halak staying on the Island (soon to be Brooklyn)

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

The Cup is going to the Isles now... :roll:
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)