Offseason Changes to the Roster?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Offseason Changes to the Roster?

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:You guys are on drugs. If Toronto dealt Kessel to us for anything less than Pietrangelo there would be riots and car fires in the streets of Toronto. He's about the only good thing going for that team. Garth Snow would be violently castrated if he traded Tavares. Why you guys think these players are just "available" for acquisition (at all, much less for "Berglund and a second round pick") is insane to me.

The only way you acquire a potentially high end scoring talent (because the proven high end talent will never be traded at virtually any price (most instances) by their respective teams or at such an exorbitant cost that it's not worth reasonably arguing about. e.g. Ovechkin, Staal, Kessel, Thornton, Stamkos, etc) is to fill a need for the other team or catch one in a rebuilding mode.

That's why I suggested looking to the Oil for RNH or Yakupov (since I think Hall and Eberle are off the table). They need veteran defense, we need someone to score goals. Sounds like a marriage to me.
Is there a form of castration that wouldn't be violent?

There's no way in the universe that the Islanders trade Tavares. He is the Islanders. Without him, they take 100 steps backwards.

I have repeatedly suggested Ovechkin as a possibility simply because the Caps fans are sour on him and they have all these postseason flameouts (sound familar?) but if they sacked Oates it pretty much means they want a coach who can accommodate Ovechkin rather than trade him. Yakupov I don't want. RNH I'd be interested in, and maybe they can throw in Gagner while they're at it.
I think you'd more likely see the Capitals trade literally every other player on their roster, at the same time, other than Ovechkin before they would trade Ovechkin himself.

More than once I've also heard some people say "well Gretzky got traded" well yea but a large part of that reason was because of financial issues that don't permeate today's NHL. Kessel himself was only dealt by the Bruins because they couldn't get a deal done. Stamkos, Ovechkin, Staal, Tavares.... all have long-term deals in place, are the faces of their franchises, etc. IMO, none of them are going anywhere.
Agreed. A lot of guys we want aren't to be had via trade. And, if they were, they'd cost a boatload in return which would deplete our minor league system and future draft picks.
I would argue we're ALREADY depleted. Beyond Rattie and Jaskin as foreseeable NHL'ers who else do we have to fill in the gaps? Virtually nothing.

Schmaltz and Vannelli aren't close and beyond them... long term projects. So that means we got basically 4 guys in the system to turn into potential NHL'ers here in the next few years. I'm not counting goalies.

If we lose our 2014 first round pick because we re-sign or trade Miller before the deadline, I think that'd be disastrous. You have to have first round picks, even late in the first round, to keep the farm team afloat. If you can't, you have to draft high second round. We dealt Carrier already.., the farm needs some more livestock.
The way to get somebody is to sign him IMO. There are a few FAs that could be difference makers here. I don't currently have much of a preference of one over another, but there are a handful of them that I'd be happy with. Hopefully spending to the cap isn't a 1 time thing for this ownership group. If they are willing to at least not drop payroll I think we have room to get an impact player.
Yea and this year there isn't a ton out there that makes me giddy with excitement. I would bet Stastny stays in Colorado and he'd be my #1 looking at. Gaborik I think is largely past his prime and not much help... idonno. Nobody on the list who I think will ACTUALLY be available on July 1 excites me. And I think Vanek is overrated and depending on what he does against the Bruins here in round 2 the Canadiens may want to keep him
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

cprice12 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote: You'd think that one of the best GMs in the league could put together a team that could eventually win one playoff series.

And the Miller deal was one gigantic bust that may have mortgaged the future of the organization for two playoff game wins. Is that the definition of "slam dunk"?
The aspect of this discussion that I find most bizarre is people still defending the trade. I mean it's one thing to have differences of opinion at the time. But in hindsight, how can anybody say they would do it again knowing what a colossal bust Miller was. And if your personal whipping boy is the PP, then maybe we should have dealt for a scorer rather than deal a sometime scorer for Ott and a 5% "upgrade" in goal
How was Miller a colossal bust? Explain that to me.

Miller was more than a 5% upgrade in goal.
You trade for a goalie at the deadline who's an impending UFA; you are expecting him to produce this year. His playoff performance was worse than Elliott's the last two season by a long shot. When you go "all in" on the cup and get bounced in the first round again, that's a colossal bust.

Once more "5% upgrade" is what Armstrong described Miller as. Miller in fact turned out to be significantly worse than either Halak or Elliott in the regular season and put up a Ty Conklin save percentage in the playoffs. He was in fact not an upgrade at all.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

HFboards a Sharks fan offering Pavelski for a #2 or #3 dman............... Done!

too bad he doesn't run the Sharks

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Lyle Richardson's Hockey News column on Miller

"When the St. Louis Blues acquired goaltender Ryan Miller from the Buffalo Sabres before this year’s trade deadline, it was assumed the deal made the Blues Stanley Cup favorites. The defending Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks quickly dashed those hopes by bouncing the Blues out of the playoffs’ opening round in six games.
Miller wasn’t solely to blame for the Blues’ early exit, but his performance (2-4 record, 2.70 GAA, .897 GAA) certainly didn’t help matters. Miller’s an unrestricted free agent in July, but St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Jeff Gordon doubts he’ll be re-signed. His colleague Jeremy Rutherford reports Miller would be interested in re-signing, but admitted contract talks haven’t been very serious.
THN columnist Rory Boylen believes the Blues should pass on re-upping Miller and instead promote promising netminder Jake Allen as their starter, augmented by re-signing Brian Elliott or signing an affordable free agent backup. Boylen proposes investing the cap savings into adding a game-breaking goal scorer."

Maybe we should make Boylen our GM (please, I'm kidding, but his plan is what our GM needs to do this offseason)

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

flyingnote38 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote: You'd think that one of the best GMs in the league could put together a team that could eventually win one playoff series.

And the Miller deal was one gigantic bust that may have mortgaged the future of the organization for two playoff game wins. Is that the definition of "slam dunk"?
The aspect of this discussion that I find most bizarre is people still defending the trade. I mean it's one thing to have differences of opinion at the time. But in hindsight, how can anybody say they would do it again knowing what a colossal bust Miller was. And if your personal whipping boy is the PP, then maybe we should have dealt for a scorer rather than deal a sometime scorer for Ott and a 5% "upgrade" in goal

You trade for a goalie at the deadline who's an impending UFA; you are expecting him to produce this year. His playoff performance was worse than Elliott's the last two season by a long shot. When you go "all in" on the cup and get bounced in the first round again, that's a colossal bust.

Once more "5% upgrade" is what Armstrong described Miller as. Miller in fact turned out to be significantly worse than either Halak or Elliott in the regular season and put up a Ty Conklin save percentage in the playoffs. He was in fact not an upgrade at all.
When a GM talks about a transaction, you know how I know they are lying? Their lips are moving. Who cares that he said 5% upgrade? What does that even mean? Does that mean that if Halak's save percentage was .900, Miller's would be .918? I think many people have taken his statement WAY too literally. He didn't want to throw Halak under the bus.

Miller didn't work out as well as we would have hoped, but I don't think we would have done better with Halak or any other goalie. The problem was the people in front of him. If they played better, we might have won the series even with Miller playing identically to how he did. And, if that happened, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Miller wasn't AS good as we would have liked.

I guess, here's how I see it. People are down on Miller because we lost in the 1st round. We lost in the first round because the people in front of him played poorly. So, people are essentially down on Miller because of how the offense underperformed. I get that he was supposed to bring us a Cup and he didn't. But, I think people's views on him would be drastically different in the offense showed up. And, that's not fair to Miller.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

"I guess, here's how I see it. People are down on Miller because we lost in the 1st round. We lost in the first round because the people in front of him played poorly. So, people are essentially down on Miller because of how the offense underperformed. I get that he was supposed to bring us a Cup and he didn't. But, I think people's views on him would be drastically different in the offense showed up. And, that's not fair to Miller."

As Hitch said we lost as a team. It isn't Miller's fault that the PP failed to score. Likewise it isn't the players in front of him's fault that Miller stopped less than 90% of the shots he faced, which if you don't know is HORRiBLE.

My view on Miller would be different if he played better than the guys we already had, which he didn't, or if he played like an elite goaltender, which he didn't, or hell if he even played like an average goaltender

The deal for Miller was made for one reason, and one reason only, to win the cup this year! It was a total bust.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

flyingnote38 wrote:"I guess, here's how I see it. People are down on Miller because we lost in the 1st round. We lost in the first round because the people in front of him played poorly. So, people are essentially down on Miller because of how the offense underperformed. I get that he was supposed to bring us a Cup and he didn't. But, I think people's views on him would be drastically different in the offense showed up. And, that's not fair to Miller."

As Hitch said we lost as a team. It isn't Miller's fault that the PP failed to score. Likewise it isn't the players in front of him's fault that Miller stopped less than 90% of the shots he faced, which if you don't know is HORRiBLE.

My view on Miller would be different if he played better than the guys we already had, which he didn't, or if he played like an elite goaltender, which he didn't, or hell if he even played like an average goaltender

The deal for Miller was made for one reason, and one reason only, to win the cup this year! It was a total bust.
Exactly. You can blame the team for blowing one power play after another, but if you give up 3 goals and your boys score 3 goals to bring it constantly into OT...that means your boys are scoring. Elliott didn't have that kind of scoring when he played against LA. Had he, well....

And the worst part about it, is that Halak never got the chance to play through the playoffs for us. I would have loved to had seen what he was really made up when it all counted.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

flyingnote38 wrote:"I guess, here's how I see it. People are down on Miller because we lost in the 1st round. We lost in the first round because the people in front of him played poorly. So, people are essentially down on Miller because of how the offense underperformed. I get that he was supposed to bring us a Cup and he didn't. But, I think people's views on him would be drastically different in the offense showed up. And, that's not fair to Miller."

We can argue the WHY portion of our playoff exit until we are blue in the face and that horse is dead as fried chicken. We probably already have. The question now is, what do we do to win next year?

Going forward, I see these two courses of action as most likely:
1. Re-sign Miller and let Elliott go. Gives Miller a full season with the team, maybe we see his numbers improve to the levels we hoped. This option, unfortunately, wraps up more salary into our goaltending, which means we have less to spend on acquiring a scoring forward.
2. Re-sign Elliott and let Miller go. This frees up some salary to chase more scoring. The question here is the consistency of the goaltending. How comfortable is ownership going with an Elliott-Allen combo?

Personally, I would be okay with either of the above options, but I see the most pressing need to be scoring. Best case IMO, we open the bank account and sign Miller and a scoring forward, but I doubt we will drop that kind of money.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

gaijin wrote:

We can argue the WHY portion of our playoff exit until we are blue in the face and that horse is dead as fried chicken. We probably already have. The question now is, what do we do to win next year?

1. Re-sign Miller and let Elliott go. Gives Miller a full season with the team, maybe we see his numbers improve to the levels we hoped. This option, unfortunately, wraps up more salary into our goaltending, which means we have less to spend on acquiring a scoring forward.
2. Re-sign Elliott and let Miller go. This frees up some salary to chase more scoring. The question here is the consistency of the goaltending. How comfortable is ownership going with an Elliott-Allen combo?

Personally, I would be okay with either of the above options, but I see the most pressing need to be scoring. Best case IMO, we open the bank account and sign Miller and a scoring forward, but I doubt we will drop that kind of money.
I'd go with #2 if it allows us to keep the pick. And I agree on scoring, and we need to pay for it, much as it takes. This is something we can't take the cheap route on, if we want the pieces necessary to move up.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think we COULD do Miller AND a scorer. Cap this year was $64.3 mil. Next year I believe it is going up to $71 mil. And we have a decent amount coming off the books. In this ownership's first offseason they spent to the cap which surprised a lot of us. I don't know if that's a one time thing or if they are going to continue to spend money. Even if it's not $71 mil, I'd like to think they'd keep payroll high. Whether they spend to the cap may be a mystery, but I think they could do Miller + Scorer and remain under $71 mil.

Also, I think they should go after Miller right away. What we really don't want to see happen IMO is Elliot + no scorer. I like Elliott and I won't be upset if he's our goalie. But, when I was advocating for him recently it was with the mindset of Elliott + Scorer. If we can do Miller + Scorer, there's no reason to not go after Miller. He's better.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

flyingnote38 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:

Except for the first period of game #1, the one bad goal in game #3 and the 3rd period in game #6...Miller was very good.
His overall performance numbers are skewed due to the 3rd period of game #6.
He was not the reason we lost the series.

It's far too easy to just blame the goalie when we lose. That's lazy. There were fare more glaring issues during the series than Miller's play.
Miller was easily good enough to win the series.
I'd take Miller over Crawford any day. And I'd take Miller over Halak any day as well.
Once more "5% upgrade" is what Armstrong described Miller as.
So you think Armstrong would come out and say Miller is twice the goalie Halak is? That would be stupid.
1) You'd be basically publicly laughing in Buffalo's face saying we easily got the better of the trade. He may want to deal again with Buffalo in the future. No need to gloat about the trade.
2) There is no reason to insult Halak publicly like that.
What did you expect him to say?
Miller in fact turned out to be significantly worse than either Halak or Elliott in the regular season and put up a Ty Conklin save percentage in the playoffs. He was in fact not an upgrade at all.
I'll give you that Miller wasn't very good during the last 6 games of the season...he struggled. But he was undefeated in something like his first 8 games or whatever with us.
If you can't see that Miller is a significant upgrade over Halak...well...I don't know what else to say. You can't just go by numbers either...he didn't play that many games for us. Just by watching him play, it's easy to see he is a more polished goalie than Halak. Without Miller, we could have gotten swept by the Hawks. If we had just an average PP, we could have swept them.

I thought Elliott should have played a couple games down the stretch, to rest Miller because he wasn't on his game. I'm a big Elliott fan. If Miller doesn't resign here, I hope we go with Elliott as our #1 next year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

gaijin wrote:

To me, your #1 is not all that different from #2 in terms of consistency/comfort of ownership. Both are maybe's. Maybe Miller will improve. Maybe Elliott can pull off the #1 job rather than splitting it with someone 50/50. Both hinge on Allen being the #1 in the future. So, it's a toss up. However, #1 ties up more money that can be spent on a scoring center and maybe a scoring winger.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

A random thought on the roster: can we stop dressing Reaves? I like the guy, I'm an old style hockey fan and I like the rough stuff and understand the role of an enforcer. But...Reaves produces nothing offensively (went 26 games without a point last season) and is horrible for the team's ability to hold possession or produce shots on goal. What really gets me though is that he's dressed for all six games of that series, and even after our captain gets his head taken off shows no inclination to mix it up. I'm not saying that's wrong but if he's not going to "enforce" at that juncture then what, exactly, is he for?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

[tweet][/tweet]

Not quite the goal scorer I'm hoping for, but we could do way worse.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

Not quite the goal scorer I'm hoping for, but we could do way worse.
Interesting.

He's had four 30-goal seasons, which is four more than Stastny, and he's only 2 years older. Been with Ottawa his entire career, which to me says that he gets along well with coaches, staff, and other players (e.g. not a locker room cancer).

It all depends on what it would take to get him.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Well, he only makes $4 million next season which is the last year of his current contract. His cap hit is $7 million, but actual salary is $4 mil. So that is outstanding.
HOWEVER...
The lower salary means we'd probably be in a bidding war against a number of other teams. It would probably take a lot to get him as a bunch of teams would like to get him next year at $4 million.

No idea if he has a no-trade, which if he does...and he would allow the Sens to trade him here, that would help eliminate some other teams right off the bat...maybe.

This kind of trade might see us sending a top prospect and a roster player to Ottawa. I can see some folks being upset if this trade happens because we'll probably lose something substantial.
But I guess if you want a cup and what you got ain't good enough...you gotta do what you gotta do sooner or later.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:Well, he only makes $4 million next season which is the last year of his current contract. His cap hit is $7 million, but actual salary is $4 mil. So that is outstanding.
HOWEVER...
The lower salary means we'd probably be in a bidding war against a number of other teams. It would probably take a lot to get him as a bunch of teams would like to get him next year at $4 million.

No idea if he has a no-trade, which if he does...and he would allow the Sens to trade him here, that would help eliminate some other teams right off the bat...maybe.

This kind of trade might see us sending a top prospect and a roster player to Ottawa. I can see some folks being upset if this trade happens because we'll probably lose something substantial.
But I guess if you want a cup and what you got ain't good enough...you gotta do what you gotta do sooner or later.
Berglund. Done and done. :wink:

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

cprice12 wrote:Well, he only makes $4 million next season which is the last year of his current contract. His cap hit is $7 million, but actual salary is $4 mil. So that is outstanding.
HOWEVER...

He has a no-trade clause but it's one where he can submit a list of 10 teams where he don't want to go until the end of his contract. I think he'd come to the Blues though.
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

This is how I would like the Blues next year...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014-15
FORWARDS
Alexander Steen ($5.800m) / David Backes ($4.500m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m)
Jaden Schwartz ($1.800m) / Jason Spezza ($4.060m) / Vladimir Tarasenko ($0.900m)
Matt Moulson ($3.133m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($1.800m) / Dmitrij Jaskin ($0.773m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.200m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Ty Rattie ($0.773m)
Chris Porter ($0.675m) / Ryan Reaves ($1.125m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alex Pietrangelo ($6.500m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($5.400m)
Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m) / Barret Jackman ($3.167m)
Roman Polak ($2.750m) / Jordan Leopold ($2.250m)
Ian Cole ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jake Allen ($0.800m)
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
------

(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,255,000; BONUSES: $1,093,333
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,845,000
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
HOWEVER...

He has a no-trade clause but it's one where he can submit a list of 10 teams where he don't want to go until the end of his contract. I think he'd come to the Blues though.

looks like Spezza has one year left on his contract and it would be a "friendly" year for the Blues $4 million actual out of pocket with a $7 million cap hit. Not sure what it would take in trade.