Offseason Changes to the Roster?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Offseason Changes to the Roster?

Post by dmiles2186 »

Who do you want to see go? Stay?

He's not a game changer, but I want to see Lee Stempniak back on this team.

I don't see Roy or Morrow back. Ott and Miller are most likely gone. Berglund needs to go.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Offseason Changes to the Roster?

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Let's get the obvious out of the way: Ott gone, Miller gone, Roy gone, Morrow gone. Duh, duh, and duh.

In other news, Berglund is gone. I'm just done with him. I'd probably dangle Steen out there. I don't think he's going to do this again.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Offseason Chanegs to the Roster?

Post by cardsfan04 »

I mentioned it in another thread. But, something I would consider is letting Miller go and going with Elliott. Then, use the difference in money there + Roy's $4 mil to get an elite scorer like Vanek.

I don't think this series is Miller's fault. But, i don't think he has lived up to expectations either. And, I'm not sure I want to spend an extra several million on Miller over Elliott if we can get use the savings effectively elsewhere.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

We HAVE to get someone to line up with Tarasenko to feed this kid all day everyday. He's the closest thing we have to a bona fide first line sniper on this team and next year he should be getting top line minutes and it's not even close.

Don't re-sign Roy (no shocker there)

Berglund and Ott as trade bait.

And if I understand our 2014 conditional first round pick if we don't re-sign Miller or trade him before the draft we keep that pick? Keep that pick.

We not top-level talent but everyone does and it doesn't grow on trees. I have no answer.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I mentioned it in another thread. But, something I would consider is letting Miller go and going with Elliott. Then, use the difference in money there + Roy's $4 mil to get an elite scorer like Vanek.

I don't think this series is Miller's fault. But, i don't think he has lived up to expectations either. And, I'm not sure I want to spend an extra several million on Miller over Elliott if we can get use the savings effectively elsewhere.
I'm warming to this idea too. Elliott as #1 scares me. But a tandem of Elliott and Allen I'm okay with. Like you said, that frees up money to go after someone else. Vanek is one that I thought of too.

Also, if you sign Miller, I think a large number of Blues fans will never accept him, no matter what he does here. Guy could cure cancer and they'd still blame him for not curing AIDS.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Let's get the obvious out of the way: Ott gone, Miller gone, Roy gone, Morrow gone. Duh, duh, and duh.

In other news, Berglund is gone. I'm just done with him. I'd probably dangle Steen out there. I don't think he's going to do this again.
100% agree on Ott and Roy.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I actually liked Morrow. I thought he was a solid 3rd liner and only made $1.5 million. I won't be heartbroken if he's gone. He can definitely be replaced. But, I think he's OK.

Miller: IF (and it's a big IF) we can get a top line scorer by letting him walk and signing Elliott instead, I'm on board. But, I won't be upset if he's back next year. He wasn't the problem.

Berglund depends on the price. I bet we could get something decent for him. Not great, but maybe there's somebody else that needs a change of scenery. If he's cheap enough I don't mind resigning him.

Steen, I don't know. I love him. Would hate to see him go. But, I don't think he's untouchable either. If somebody wants to overpay for him in a trade, I guess let them. But, I'm not looking to unload him.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Let's get the obvious out of the way: Ott gone, Miller gone, Roy gone, Morrow gone. Duh, duh, and duh.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I actually liked Morrow. I thought he was a solid 3rd liner and only made $1.5 million. I won't be heartbroken if he's gone. He can definitely be replaced. But, I think he's OK.

Miller: IF (and it's a big IF) we can get a top line scorer by letting him walk and signing Elliott instead, I'm on board. But, I won't be upset if he's back next year. He wasn't the problem.

Berglund depends on the price. I bet we could get something decent for him. Not great, but maybe there's somebody else that needs a change of scenery. If he's cheap enough I don't mind resigning him.

Steen, I don't know. I love him. Would hate to see him go. But, I don't think he's untouchable either. If somebody wants to overpay for him in a trade, I guess let them. But, I'm not looking to unload him.
WTF? Keep Berglund. If they keep this guy, I'm telling them they can shove my tickets up the arse! No way this guy should put on a Blues sweater again. Guys an embarassment No heart, no effort.

Roy - Gone
Morrow - Gone
Ott - Gone
Berglund - Gone
Miller - Gone
Shatty - probably gone (a casualty of paying 3 blue liners 5 million a year, without any of them being tough)

Resign Schwaz, Boat and Eilliott (for a reasonable price)

Pick up 1 goal scorer and fill out the roster with Porter, Cracknell, Jaskin and Rattie

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I mentioned it in another thread. But, something I would consider is letting Miller go and going with Elliott. Then, use the difference in money there + Roy's $4 mil to get an elite scorer like Vanek.

I'm warming to this idea too. Elliott as #1 scares me. But a tandem of Elliott and Allen I'm okay with. Like you said, that frees up money to go after someone else. Vanek is one that I thought of too.

Also, if you sign Miller, I think a large number of Blues fans will never accept him, no matter what he does here. Guy could cure cancer and they'd still blame him for not curing AIDS.
LOL, yeah. That's a good point. His rep might be sealed which is unfortunate. Not living up to the hype and playing poorly are two different things.

It's complicated though. I'm curious what Elliott expects. At 29, he's running out of time to get a ~big contract as a starter. So, if I'm him, I'm looking for at least 3 years if not 4, at a starter's salary. I might give that to him if I'm the Blues, but then you run the risk of paying your backup goalie $4mil or whatever, which is a bad situation to be in. And, if we only want to go 2 years or something, it might be in his own best interest to look elsewhere. I think he could get a starting gig somewhere right now, but if he loses the job to Allen (and he will eventually), he might not be able to in a couple of years.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Who do you want to see go? Stay?

He's not a game changer, but I want to see Lee Stempniak back on this team.

I don't see Roy or Morrow back. Ott and Miller are most likely gone. Berglund needs to go.
Everybody not named Tarasenko or Schwartz is in play in my opinion.

Ott, Roy and Miller leave as free agents. Buh bye!

Morrow can come back as far as I am concerned.

Re-sign Elliott or Elliott equivalent. Or sign Hiller.

Sign Stastny.

Trade Berglund and Shattenkirk to Edmonton for Hall and something. Alternately, trade Berglund and something to Carolina for Staal.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

tjk002 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

WTF? Keep Berglund. If they keep this guy, I'm telling them they can shove my tickets up the arse! No way this guy should put on a Blues sweater again. Guys an embarassment No heart, no effort.

Roy - Gone
Morrow - Gone
Ott - Gone
Berglund - Gone
Miller - Gone
Shatty - probably gone (a casualty of paying 3 blue liners 5 million a year, without any of them being tough)

Resign Schwaz, Boat and Eilliott (for a reasonable price)

Pick up 1 goal scorer and fill out the roster with Porter, Cracknell, Jaskin and Rattie
I'm not a huge Berglund fan myself, but if we can get him for a pay decrease, I'd consider it. There are worse options on the 3rd line.

Shattenkirk isn't going anywhere.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Bigger picture here is I don't think we need to blow this roster up. Clearly some tweaks here and there but anything crazy drastic I don't think is necessary. If we'd lost in 4 and every game by 2-3 goals, then yea okay do it, but we were right there in every single game and every game was decided by a goal with the exception of this last one and even then only in the 3rd period.

And then all at the same time I totally understand and echo the frustrated sentiments of us having the same core guys year after year that haven't gotten us out of the 2nd round of the playoffs.I guess this is why they pay the GM's the big bucks to have all the answers because I sure don't...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't get how Vanek is considered an elite scorer. I mean he had 68 points this season on 3 different teams and aside from a couple seasons 5+ years ago hasn't duplicated that. I guess that is elite... for the Blues.

Go big or go home. Vanek is not the guy we need to solve our offensive woes.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Getting Ovie would certainly be a statement. And maybe he'd want to come here because (a) it isn't Washington, and (b) he might be a great mentor to Tarasenko. But some nutjob oligarch in the KHL is also probably going to make a run at him, so I'm not sure how that's going to go. But heck, it seems to make a lot of sense. More sense than expecting Rattie to turn into Brett Hull.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Getting Ovie would certainly be a statement. And maybe he'd want to come here because (a) it isn't Washington, and (b) he might be a great mentor to Tarasenko. But some nutjob oligarch in the KHL is also probably going to make a run at him, so I'm not sure how that's going to go. But heck, it seems to make a lot of sense. More sense than expecting Rattie to turn into Brett Hull.
It makes a shit ton of sense! Imagine him on a line with Tarasenko. Washington isn't done just by firing Oates and McPhee plus their new GM wants to make a statement no doubt. Capitals fans have been bitching for quite a while about Ovechkin and a change of scenery would do him--and their fans--very well. I think they'd certainly welcome having a solid blueliner in Shattenkirk and Berglund seems like the type of guy who might fit in the east better. As for Miller, let him sign wherever. It's irrelevant because Elliott/Allen is the duo next season anyway and not signing Miller saves the extra money for Ovie.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think tank and jaden can be elite top line guys if you find a high end set up guy to feed them the puck. That puts backes steen and Oshie on the second line, where they belong.

I would be looking for a speedy center from a trade. I think army hoped Roy would be that set up guy, but he just hasn't been able to do that here.

The stastny Idea is the best I have seen. Back up the money truck and make it happen.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I think tank and jaden can be elite top line guys if you find a high end set up guy to feed them the puck. That puts backes steen and Oshie on the second line, where they belong.

I would be looking for a speedy center from a trade. I think army hoped Roy would be that set up guy, but he just hasn't been able to do that here.

The stastny Idea is the best I have seen. Back up the money truck and make it happen.
The money truck has a flat tire. I don't think this team can afford to take on free agents and will have to get what they can get via trades.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I don't get how Vanek is considered an elite scorer. I mean he had 68 points this season on 3 different teams and aside from a couple seasons 5+ years ago hasn't duplicated that. I guess that is elite... for the Blues.

Go big or go home. Vanek is not the guy we need to solve our offensive woes.
He might not be the answer. I don't know that much about him other than his name got thrown around a lot this year. Stastny may be a better option.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I think tank and jaden can be elite top line guys if you find a high end set up guy to feed them the puck. That puts backes steen and Oshie on the second line, where they belong.

The money truck has a flat tire. I don't think this team can afford to take on free agents and will have to get what they can get via trades.
That crossed my mind. That's another downside to going out in the first round. I've heard the 1st round money is split fairly evenly, but the deeper you go, the more the team playing gets.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

The difference between the Hitchcock Stars and Hitchcock Blues is that the Stars had a far better lineup with enough elites to carry. They were a team you did not take lightly.

Hitchcock can only work with what he has. This series has proven that Hitchcock isn't the problem, our depth and team is. Army made a lateral deal with Ott and Miller, so the end result was it'd work or not. No room for error and we still do not know what the team finances are like, so he might be on orders to sign on the cheap and pay up for the players who make up the foundation of the team. With a new owner and new capital, that makes sense. So with that said:

Miller - Go away.

Elliott - Resign and make him the starter. He has earned it. He has shown he can fall apart and has shown that he can get back on his game and he has no ceiling. He steals games and has possibly the best composure and skill, when he's on, of any elite goalie in the league. He has no Ego and is willing to play a backup role on a team and be very positive about it. People like that who believe that way are the ones you want to keep.

Jake Allen - Call up and run tandem. See what he's made of. If he is The One, he can go back and forth with Elliott.

Backes - He's the Captain. KEEP.

Sobotka - True warrior. Plays hurt, plays hard, doesn't give up. KEEP.

Berglund - Go away.

Roy - Go away.

Ott - I'm on the fence about him. He's physical and we got him knowing he isn't a goal scorer.

Cracknell - KEEP.

Reaves - KEEP.

Polak - Go the #$% away.

Lappy - Any guy that screws up one game to come back and score a goal stays. Shows heart. Was a major physical force in the playoffs, so he can suck eggs all season as long as he plays like this in the playoffs for us.

Porter - Keep.

Shattenkirk - Are you serious? Keep.

Pie - He's had a very wobbly year. I'm wondering if he's playing hurt but he NEEDS to play more than he is. I'd consider taking the A from him and giving it to Tarasenko at this point.

Rattie - Not enough information on him yet, but I'd keep him and use him for what we were using Roy for.

JayBo - Keep

Schwartz - Are you serious? KEEP.

Tarasenko - I take his name as Russian for "He who will replace Backes as Captain eventually" - The only real consistant elite we have. KEEP.

Jackman - He played fairly well. Had off and on issues but I liked him this year. Keep.

Morrow - I think he's going to retire, but if he doesn't, I'd pass.

Oshie - KEEP.

Paaj - AHL. Not ready yet.

Steen - Steen has always been the quiet guy in the room that no one pays attention to. He has contributed for a long time and has a level of reliability and durability to him. I'd keep him.

Leopold - G.O.N.E.

Jaskin - AHL. Not ready yet.

Cola - AHL.

Cole - Now why aren't we playing Ian Cole more? The guy is sound. He's not a goal scorer but he plays with more intensity and more heart than alot of our guys. Keep and actually play.

Aucoin - AHL.

I think that's everyone. If I miss someone, let me know.

Players we should consider signing should have names like Ovie, Malkin, etc. Stansky is okay but I don't think he'll give us the punch we need. Stempinak played with us before and I wouldn't mind having him back. We need players who aren't 3-4 line players and/or are 35+ years old or coming back from some insane major injury or concussion. For those elite players this offseason and season screw the trades, pay the cash.

What the Organization does in this offseason will set the stage for what we should expect from this team. If they decide to stand pat, I expect season tickets to plunge.

Thoughts?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

I can't express how perfect of an acquisition Ovechkin would be for both parties. He instantly would sell tickets. The Blues need revenue and some buzz. He wouldn't have to wear a letter or be expected to lead in any capacity. Just score. However, the Blues wouldn't be his only suitors if he was on the trading block. Plus the Caps president recently said he wished he had two Ovechkins. A man of his talents and star power could be tough to acquire. I'd love it, though.

I don't see Statsny leaving. The team seems to love Roy, they're loaded with young talent, and they just won the best division in hockey. If I were him I'd take a little less to stay there and keep on rolling.

Vanek is a nice player but I'm not sure if he can even be a 30 goal scorer again, much less the finisher the Blues need. This could be an offseason from hell, but it will at least be active.

Miller is gone. I admire the aggression of his acquisition, but it wasn't a good one. He stole one game (the shutout vs Philly) during his short tenure here. Elliott is mega popular with his teammates and he is an exceptional insurance policy. Bring him back and let's ride or die with him and Jake the Snake.

Ott has spunk and his hit on Jonny Hockey today made me smile. However, the #s don't lie. Other than face off prowess, there's not much else he offers.

Plus all the other usual suspects you guys mentioned (Roy, Berglund, Morrow) will probably be gone as well. There will be plenty of change, mayhaps at the top as well....
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.