GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Post by dmiles2186 »

[youtube][/youtube]
TRAFFLIC ALERT: With Game 5 vs. Chicago and a 7:15 p.m. Cardinals / Pirates matchup down the street at Busch Stadium, we encourage fans to allow plenty of extra time for travel to the game. Head downtown early and check out the pregame rally outside Scottrade Center so you don't miss a minute of Game 5.

BLACKHAWKS at BLUES

(Best-of-7 series tied, 2-2)

TV: NBCSN, CBC, RDS2, FS-MW, CSN-CH

Big story: The series is heading back to St. Louis for Game 5 on Friday at Scottrade Center with a completely different feeling to it after the Chicago Blackhawks held serve in two games at United Center to draw even with the St. Louis Blues.

Chicago is now looking for its first series lead despite being winless in St. Louis after five games this season (three in the regular season).

"We know this team loves to play in their home building," Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews said Thursday. "They're a really tough team to play when they're at home with their own crowd. So we'll be prepared for that, but at the same time we feel like we were pretty close to finding a way to win both times we were there in their building [in Game 1 and Game 2]. Hopefully this time is the time we can find a way to crack through and get that win there."

St. Louis is reeling a bit. The gut-wrenching loss Wednesday followed up a missed chance to go up 3-0 in the series in Game 3, when the Blues lost 2-0 despite outplaying the Blackhawks for much of the game.

Team Scope:

Blackhawks: Once again, they've taken a statistically tough spot and turned it upside down. After coming back from a 3-1 series deficit in the 2013 Western Conference Semifinals to beat the Detroit Red Wings, on their way to a Stanley Cup championship, the Blackhawks have climbed out of another daunting hole against the Blues.

It's now a best-of-3 series and Chicago looks to be in pretty good shape with Kane and captain Jonathan Toews back in elite form following late-season injuries.

"I think the odds are in our favor right now," forward Andrew Shaw said. "The last two games have been huge for us. We had a good push, the push we needed, and I think the guys are excited to get the next one started."

This is the last game top-pairing defenseman Brent Seabrook must sit out while serving a three-game suspension for an illegal hit in Game 2 that injured Blues captain David Backes.

Blues: Once again, much of the pre-game focus will focus on Backes' health. He missed both games in Chicago and didn't skate Thursday. He remains a question mark heading into a pivotal Game 5.

The Blues have lost the momentum in the series, but the bright side is two of the final three games, if three are necessary, will be on home ice.

"We knew going there [to United Center] that it was going to be tough," defenseman Jay Bouwmeester said. "It's not the easiest place to play. We still have home ice, we had a couple close games. It's not been one-sided games or anything like that. You just keep going. It's a three-game series now and that's the way you approach it."

After going 1-for-8 on the power play in the past two games at United Center, the Blues have only scored twice in the series with the man-advantage in 21 opportunities, a paltry 9.5 percent success rate. That probably needs to improve to win the series.

Who's hot: Kane, the Blackhawks' elite right wing, has three goals and one assist in the series after scoring twice and assisting on a goal by Shaw in Game 4. … St. Louis forward Vladimir Tarasenko has scored four times in the series after scoring two of the Blues' three goals Wednesday.

Injury report: Backes remains questionable for the Blues and forward Brenden Morrow (lower-body) is out for the remainder of the series. … The Blackhawks are healthy.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Post by cprice12 »

It's really...well...annoying the bi-polarness of fans.

We have a great regular season and Blues fans say we have a great shot at the cup.
We finish the season on a losing streak and Blues fans say we have no shot at the cup.
We win the first two at home (extremely close games), Blues fans say our team is amazing.
We lose the next two in Chicago (extremely close games), Blues fans say our team sucks and we're going to lose the series and how this is last year all over again.

- The series is tied...and each game could have gone either way. The teams have played about dead even and being 2-2 is probably where the series should be. A lot of Blues fans act like we're down 3-1 in the series.
- We STILL have home ice advantage with 2 of the next 3 here.
- The Hawks haven't won here all season.
- If we win this game Blues fans will say the series is ours.
- If we lose this game Blues fans will say the series is over.

Chicago has the momentum, but momentum is something that has to be maintained and can be stolen back quite quickly.
If we were going to Chicago for game #5 with 2 of the next 3 in Chicago, I'd be concerned about how harfd it would be for the Blues to grab back the momentum. But we're not going to Chicago. We're at home...and I think that is significant with how close this series has been.

It's time for Miller to have a stellar game from start to finish. A 4-1 victory would be nice.

Just win the home games and we'll be fine. That is what this team worked for all season.

:letsgoblues: :goblues: :cup: :hawkssuck: :blueflagrocket:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

This place kind of died lol.
Time to kick some ass tonight!
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

STLADOGG wrote:This place kind of died lol.
eh - it's only round 1. It's a long road guys to the cup and an exhausting one at that. While everyone would love to go 4-0 in each series there are going to be ups and downs, blown leads, missed opportunities, etc. This is the time each year I always get lots of chest pain from the stress of NHL playoffs.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kerfuffle wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:This place kind of died lol.
eh - it's only round 1. It's a long road guys to the cup and an exhausting one at that. While everyone would love to go 4-0 in each series there are going to be ups and downs, blown leads, missed opportunities, etc. This is the time each year I always get lots of chest pain from the stress of NHL playoffs.
Yeah, but I wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world.
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:It's really...well...annoying the bi-polarness of fans.

We have a great regular season and Blues fans say we have a great shot at the cup.
We finish the season on a losing streak and Blues fans say we have no shot at the cup.
We win the first two at home (extremely close games), Blues fans say our team is amazing.
We lose the next two in Chicago (extremely close games), Blues fans say our team sucks and we're going to lose the series and how this is last year all over again.

- The series is tied...and each game could have gone either way. The teams have played about dead even and being 2-2 is probably where the series should be. A lot of Blues fans act like we're down 3-1 in the series.

Chicago has the momentum, but momentum is something that has to be maintained and can be stolen back quite quickly.
If we were going to Chicago for game #5 with 2 of the next 3 in Chicago, I'd be concerned about how harfd it would be for the Blues to grab back the momentum. But we're not going to Chicago. We're at home...and I think that is significant with how close this series has been.

It's time for Miller to have a stellar game from start to finish. A 4-1 victory would be nice.

Just win the home games and we'll be fine. That is what this team worked for all season.

Couldn't have said it better, Curt. It sucks we've lost two in a row. But like I posted in the GDT for Game 4, Chicago fans were probably feeling the way we did after they dropped two winnable games here in St. Louis. This series has a long way to go. One team has to win 2 more games, the other has to lose 2 more games for this series to be done. That's at the very least 120 more minutes of hockey where anything could happen.

And these teams are so close. Both of these teams could have swept or been swept, instead we're tied at 2-2. A series doesn't get as close as this one. I know everyone is freaking out because it seems like a repeat of last year but we haven't dropped 4 straight. And besides, whether we win or lose tonight, the series isn't over. Just keep plugging away and we've got a shot at this. The Hawks were never going to be an easy out.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I just saw Jaskin went down to the AHL.
Does this mean Backes is back?
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:I just saw Jaskin went down to the AHL.
Hope so. He's not on the ice for morning skate though. That doesn't have to mean anything though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:It's really...well...annoying the bi-polarness of fans.

Well said. I agree nearly 100%. Only nearly because if we lose tonight, I'm going into panic mode. I won't be devoid of hope, but I think whoever wins tonight likely wins the series.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I was looking for game 5 tickets Wed night and there were lots of them still available - why is that? I thought about driving down to see game 5 but the wife was not in favor of that so will have to stay home and go to game 6 here. But I was surprised that those game 5 tickets were not already gobbled up. The prices weren't too bad either.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Hope so. He's not on the ice for morning skate though. That doesn't have to mean anything though.
If he's not on the ice for the morning skate, I doubt he plays.

JR says he's not likely to play...but then again, JR said he thought he would play in game #4. Sooo....
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

JR says he's not likely to play...but then again, JR said he thought he would play in game #4. Sooo....
Agreed. Given how coy Hitch has been though, I'm holding out hope that he'll announce Backes in the lineup at like 6:30 or something. "Surprise!"

Not sure what I think of these lines. I really like Schwartz/Sobotka/Tarasenko together.

[tweet][/tweet]

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:I was looking for game 5 tickets Wed night and there were lots of them still available - why is that? I thought about driving down to see game 5 but the wife was not in favor of that so will have to stay home and go to game 6 here. But I was surprised that those game 5 tickets were not already gobbled up. The prices weren't too bad either.
There aren't that many left right now...mostly single seats.
I was going to get tickets for tonight's game, but my daughter is going to a birthday party with my wife and I'll be at home with my son. So it's basement viewing for me tonight...which is fine. Beer is cheaper. :grin:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Agreed. Given how coy Hitch has been though, I'm holding out hope that he'll announce Backes in the lineup at like 6:30 or something. "Surprise!"

Not sure what I think of these lines. I really like Schwartz/Sobotka/Tarasenko together.

[tweet][/tweet]
Schwartz needs to ramp his game back up. He hasn't done much the past couple games and is a combined -4 in the past 2 games (-3 in game #4).
I think that first line could create some things...but Oshie and Schwartz need to gain some traction and start producing again.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

I'm not bipolar: if we win this game I'll still be chewing my nails to nubs and if we lose I'll be out on a ledge...consistency!

With the club having gotten out of the second round only twice since 1970, you can't blame us Blues fans for having trouble weathering the ups & downs of playoff hockey. Fortune has never been kind to this club, at least not in the 30 years I've been watching.

That said, it's all so evenly matched and that means we've got a good shot. Our best hope is for Vova to continue building his legend...and for Miller to suddenly remember how to dominate a game completely, for 60 minutes-not 40 or 53 or 59. That he's been somewhat outplayed by Crawford (better GAA, better sv%, SO, not making his team constantly play from behind, while facing more shots) is arguably the difference in this series. Can't really get all the handwringing about scoring when we've scored 3 or 4 goals in all but one game. Even depleted by injuries, I think our forwards are doing what they're expected to do...and yes, I fully expected Berglund to suck.

Let's do this!

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Miller owes this franchise one. I don't think we've gotten one of his really good games yet. Tonight needs to be the night.

We're winning tonight, boys.

3-0 Blues.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Now there are signs that Backes may play. Hitch hasn't ruled him out. Roy was on ice with healthy scratches after the rest of the team left the ice. That's the most telling thing right there IMO.

If I were to guess, I say he plays tonight on the line with Schwartz and Oshie. Just a guess, but that's what I think is going to happen. Missing morning skate might just be to take it easy.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Miller owes this franchise one. I don't think we've gotten one of his really good games yet. Tonight needs to be the night.
He's played very well and has made some critical saves for you guys. His save percentage was shown before game 4 and it was like .932. That's pretty darn good.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Miller owes this franchise one. I don't think we've gotten one of his really good games yet. Tonight needs to be the night.
He's played very well and has made some critical saves for you guys. His save percentage was shown before game 4 and it was like .932. That's pretty darn good.
Agreed. And an argument could be made that he's the reason we won game 1. He allowed 3 goals, but then went into beast mode.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
Agreed. And an argument could be made that he's the reason we won game 1. He allowed 3 goals, but then went into beast mode.
Miller has played very well overall. He has allowed a few softies...but I'm happy with his play. He doesn't seem to let the soft goals bother him and has shut the door after them...so that's encouraging.

I think the key to tonight's game (aside from the usual keys of responsible play in our own end, a good transition game, getting the puck deep, traffic in front of Crawford, and putting the puck on net, stuff Toewes down low and keep him to the outside) is making sure Kane doesn't have the room he had late in game #4. He kind of broke out late in game #4 and was all over the place...that shit needs to be shut down.

If the Blues from the 3rd period of game #4 show up, I think we win hands down...no contest. If the Blues from the first 38 minutes from game #4 show up, I think we lose in a rout.
But I can't see the Blues coming out soft or gripping the sticks too tight. They are at home and the crowd will be loud and crazy. I fully expect them to bring their A game. It's just a question of how Chicago is able to deal with that and if Crawford shuts the door or not.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO