GDT Game 4: 4/23/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 8:30 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT Game 4: 4/23/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 8:30 PM > FSMW/NBC

Post by flyingnote38 »

if we end up losing to these assholes I'm gonna puke

really, really, really must win game 5
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Welp. Three games left, and these two teams are evener than even. I'm glad two of the last three are in STL, because that's the only advantage left.

But, whether you think it's fair or not, Hitch is officially coaching for his job. Another 2-0 series lead blown. If the Blues lose, we'll be looking for another coach the next day. He can't be kept.
I don't see it that way at all. Firing Hitch would be a huge mistake.
He isn't going anywhere.
Again: I'm not saying it's fair or even right. But if (God forbid) this series ends the same way the LA series does, you have to fire him. You have no choice. Three straight years of playoff collapses can't be tolerated.
You do have a choice. And I don't think there is any chance of him getting canned if they lose this series. The smart move is to not make a knee jerk reaction and fire the architect of the system this team plays.
But I think we win game 5 and 6 and it won't matter.
I hope so.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Welp. Three games left, and these two teams are evener than even. I'm glad two of the last three are in STL, because that's the only advantage left.

But, whether you think it's fair or not, Hitch is officially coaching for his job. Another 2-0 series lead blown. If the Blues lose, we'll be looking for another coach the next day. He can't be kept.
He isn't going anywhere.
Again: I'm not saying it's fair or even right. But if (God forbid) this series ends the same way the LA series does, you have to fire him. You have no choice. Three straight years of playoff collapses can't be tolerated.

When scoring is a problem, you don't fire the coach, you sign a scorer. Or three.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I'm not 100% on hitch, but where is the better option for this team?

I think the hawks are the better team and the only reason it is 2-2in the series is "the system". We are lacking in the top six forward area, and it shows up as streaky scoring.

If we don't win another game in this series, I think you have to call it a collapse. What that means for hitch depends on what coaching options are there in the off season.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Berglund a strong -3 for the night. I've said all year long. This guy is this biggest piece of shit that exists on the Blues roster. To think he makes 2.4 million a year. What a waste. The guy is fricking garbage. I swear if they bring him back they can shove my season tickets up their ass. 20 years I've had them and this guy is the biggest embarrassment to ever wear the Bluenote. Worst than Jorgen Peterson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I'm not 100% on hitch, but where is the better option for this team?

I think the hawks are the better team and the only reason it is 2-2in the series is "the system". We are lacking in the top six forward area, and it shows up as streaky scoring.

If we don't win another game in this series, I think you have to call it a collapse. What that means for hitch depends on what coaching options are there in the off season.
We don't have an elite scorer. How do you blame Hitch for this?

Now I admit that I've been on the Fire Hitch train off and on for awhile, but its clear and obvious that the problem, if we do collapse, is that we don't have an Elite Scorer. Tarasenko and Schwartz may be solutions, but we don't have a certified goal scorer with grit and experience. We simply don't.

The last thing I want to see us do is botch up what we have now. I do not, do not, blame Hitch for this. I believe if we don't make it, we just simply don't have enough to make it. That's not Hitch's problem. Hitch is only working with what he has and we have come to the fight, we're not missing by much beyond that extra person.

To me, having Backes out is the difference in this situation.

I remember when the Sharks let Sutter go and he went to the Kings and won the Cup. We let Q go. We regretted that. I'd rather Hitch finish what he started and if our success means anything, we need to recongnize that Hitch is a major part of it, and letting him go is like spiting ourselves.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

tjk002 wrote:Berglund a strong -3 for the night. I've said all year long. This guy is this biggest piece of shit that exists on the Blues roster. To think he makes 2.4 million a year. What a waste. The guy is fricking garbage. I swear if they bring him back they can shove my season tickets up their ass. 20 years I've had them and this guy is the biggest embarrassment to ever wear the Bluenote. Worst than Jorgen Peterson.
He's gutless.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

:facepalm: Lots of drunken thoughts:

You guys are right about Hitchcock. He's a good coach. He stays. Scotty Bowman ain't walking through that door.

Brian Bickell is a punisher. He's been like a zit on the inside of Pie's nostril for four games, not to mention his licks on Sobotka. Then the ogre scores the tying goal. Tough, tough player.

The Hawks' skill was on display for those final two goals. Toews and Hossa had the Blues hemmed in and Kane was hunting all night. You could smell the stink of that finish a mile away.

Cheers to Sobotka and Senko. And while Ott took a dipshit penalty in the 1st, he ended up having a nice game. Same for one of our favorite whipping boys, Jax. Getting one of the best two way forwards in hockey back would be nice. This team yearns for David Backes, even though the last two games have been so close without him.

I'd sleep so much easier if I knew Berglund wasn't playing another game for this team. Gutless, indeed.

Blues in 6.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I'm not 100% on hitch, but where is the better option for this team?

EXACTLY. The Blues don't have a clutch sniper like Kane! And the Blackhawks top 4 of Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp are better although Hossa and Sharp have been mostly MIA in this series.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

tjk002 wrote:Berglund a strong -3 for the night. I've said all year long. This guy is this biggest piece of shit that exists on the Blues roster. To think he makes 2.4 million a year. What a waste. The guy is fricking garbage. I swear if they bring him back they can shove my season tickets up their ass. 20 years I've had them and this guy is the biggest embarrassment to ever wear the Bluenote. Worst than Jorgen Peterson.

Jörgen Pettersson was actually a fan favorite and set the Blues record for points as a rookie playing with Federko and Sutter! Much better than Berglund!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Jörgen Pettersson was actually a fan favorite and set the Blues record for points as a rookie playing with Federko and Sutter! Much better than Berglund!
He was quite "Handsome" for a Swede :)

And I think Tjk's quote was that Bergy is worse than Jorgen, and I think that's true. He's a floating pylon. He's doesn't use his size, he's got moves of stone and he just gets in the way too much. Everyone else has stepped their game up a notch, even Lappy, whose actually been really good in this series beyond his major screw up.

Bench Bergy and play someone like Cole. Seriously. Even if it's out of position.

Leantonomistake
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Leantonomistake »

All games could have gone either site. I think our problem is, that many guys are playing hurt.
Backes out, Sobotka and Berglund playing hurt. Even Vova still has some problems with his wrist. The top guns of the hawks don't show any weakness. Still we could have won every game.
I can remember all the guys talking about an early playoff ending because of the end of the regulat season. And look at this team now. We're still in the race and played some good hockey. The guys know they can beat this team. It's still the defending champion.

Kane and Towes were shut down before, so it was only a matter of time when they'll show up. It's now up to us to win our home games and we move on.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

For all the frustration from last night's loss...

How about Vladimir Tarasenko? My GOD. That kid can play some hockey. I was curious to see how he'd do in the tighter-checking and fewer open looks playoffs but the kid has dove right in blocking shots, scoring CRITICAL goals. Stud. Absolute stud. He's my Blue playoff MVP by a mile so far.

More pucks to the net. We saw it tonight: throw the damn thing at the net (a la Lapierre) and good things can happen. Neither team is getting many (if any) open looks. Shoot and crash, they all count the same.

Was it Berglund who wasn't chasing Kane when Kane scored that back-door goal? My recollection was that it was.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

WaukeeBlues wrote: Was it Berglund who wasn't chasing Kane when Kane scored that back-door goal? My recollection was that it was.
You would be correct, sir.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:For all the frustration from last night's loss...

How about Vladimir Tarasenko? My GOD. That kid can play some hockey. I was curious to see how he'd do in the tighter-checking and fewer open looks playoffs but the kid has dove right in blocking shots, scoring CRITICAL goals. Stud. Absolute stud. He's my Blue playoff MVP by a mile so far.

More pucks to the net. We saw it tonight: throw the damn thing at the net (a la Lapierre) and good things can happen. Neither team is getting many (if any) open looks. Shoot and crash, they all count the same.

Was it Berglund who wasn't chasing Kane when Kane scored that back-door goal? My recollection was that it was.
That was Oshie. I thought/assumed it was Berglund at first too. But, he was actually the guy on the puck carrier over by the boards.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

They just said on CBS sports 920 am that this series has been so amazing that either the Blues or Hawks could've won 4 games to none if a bounce went different here or there so it's appropriate that it's tied now!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Oaklandblue wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: Was it Berglund who wasn't chasing Kane when Kane scored that back-door goal? My recollection was that it was.
Was that the 2nd period Kane goal?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Was that the 2nd period Kane goal?
That's what I thought too, but...well...maybe not.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

When they went up 1-0, I thought we were in trouble. When they went up 2-0, I thought it was likely over. The fact that we came back, scored those 2 goals in the last 90 seconds of the 2nd periods and then took the lead late in the 3rd . . . on the road . . . speaks volumes for this team IMO. It's a little more disappointing that we rallied back, took a lead, only to blow it and then lose in OT. But, I feel significantly better about game 5 than I would have had we been shutout 2-0.

Also, Hitch stays. He's not a problem right now. If we lose in 6 again, and we come out of the gate slow next year, I think his seat heats up a bit. But, it'll take a bit before he gets fired. I think he has AT LEAST into next year, and most likely through next season. Several coaches have had this core group and he's the first one to make them Cup contenders. I don't think he's lost the lockerroom, so firing shouldn't be an option IMO.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

He isn't going anywhere.

When scoring is a problem, you don't fire the coach, you sign a scorer. Or three.
Because those are waiting around to be snatched up.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb