2014 LGB Playoff Challenge

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: 2014 LGB Playoff Challenge

Post by ComradeT »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I made a big mistake thinking Tampa would beat Montreal but so far I've gotten everything else right!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Last year I got ridiculed for (correctly) picking the Kings to beat the Blues. I went with my heart over my head this year and took the Blues to go to the Finals. :facepalm: :doh:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Shit, I may have gotten every pick wrong lol.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

dmiles2186 wrote:Last year I got ridiculed for (correctly) picking the Kings to beat the Blues. I went with my heart over my head this year and took the thees to go to the Finals. :facepalm: :doh:
Dude, really??

Even if the Blues finished strong, played Minny and beat them(not a given) they still has to go through the Hawks and then one of the west coast teams like the Ducks, Sharks, or Kings. The Blues couldn't beat the Sharks or Ducks ALL year and struggled against the Kings.

I knew this team wasn't built for a long Cup run!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Last year I got ridiculed for (correctly) picking the Kings to beat the Blues. I went with my heart over my head this year and took the thees to go to the Finals. :facepalm: :doh:
Dude, really??

Even if the Blues finished strong, played Minny and beat them(not a given) they still has to go through the Hawks and then one of the west coast teams like the Ducks, Sharks, or Kings. The Blues couldn't beat the Sharks or Ducks ALL year and struggled against the Kings.

I knew this team wasn't built for a long Cup run!
Sure we did, but you only have to play one of them in one playoff round. If the Blues had beat the Hawks and the Avs in Rounds 1 and 2, I would have felt like they would have confidence and chemistry rolling. Playoffs are a different animal. Who knows what would have happened?

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

The Blues haven't won a second round game in 12 years! When is the last time they had confidence and chemistry rolling? I would say in 2001.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Blues haven't won a second round game in 12 years! When is the last time they had confidence and chemistry rolling? I would say in 2001.
Sure, but my thought process every year is that every Blues team is different. I think too many Blues fans pin all the failures of the past on each new team. Until this team flamed out over the last week, they had the ability to make a run. Some folks don't give them a chance because we lost to the Sharks in 2000 or we got pounced on by the Avs in 01 or we got swept by the Canucks in 09.

This team is different than the ones that came before it and that will be the case next year. Anything is possible.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah that's true but the Blues need a big time scorer to go to the next level. Bernie's column said the Blues only averaged 2.8 goals a game the last 39 games of the year which 28th out 30 teams! That's awful!

Those kind of elite scorers don't grow on trees and hardly any are available so I don't know what they're going to do!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Blues haven't won a second round game in 12 years! When is the last time they had confidence and chemistry rolling? I would say in 2001.
The Kings won one playoff series in the last 17 years before they won the Cup and have been in the league as long as the Blues proving anything can happen.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

.... and apparently my bracket didn't save.

Lovely.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Oaklandblue wrote:
The Kings won one playoff series in the last 17 years before they won the Cup and have been in the league as long as the Blues proving anything can happen.
True, and the Kings never won a Cup with Gretzky and neither did we! That's another reason why I think Lemieux is the greatest EVER. The Oilers won a Cup just 2 years after Gretzky left. The Penguins didn't stand a chance without Lemieux in that era. Gretzky wasn't the difference maker for either the Kings or Blues although he did make the Kings a lot better.

The Blues have never had a goalie like Quick who was in such a zone when they won the Cup. If they did they would've at least gone to the Cup finals by now!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Blues have never had a goalie like Quick who was in such a zone when they won the Cup. If they did they would've at least gone to the Cup finals by now!
We do. His name is Brian Elliott. The problem is, we don't have the top drawer, productive forwards that LA has. That's the difference maker. That's slowly starting to change, provided Army comes through and signs a few veteran high production players, etc.

As for Mario, there isn't anyone that means more to a city and it's hockey team than Mario. Guy saved the Pens from being moved, played through a very debilitating disease and even coached while he played and owned the team for abit.

I don't think there's any other example of a person like that in the NHL. Or in any other sport. He's the definition of heart and resolve.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Come on dude. You can't say Elliot is the same as Quick 2 years ago! Quick had one of the greatest post seasons of ANY goalie in NHL history! He stole games for the Kings en route to the Cup. Elliot has never done that and he hasn't been that good in the playoff games he has been in.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Come on dude. You can't say Elliot is the same as Quick 2 years ago! Quick had one of the greatest post seasons of ANY goalie in NHL history! He stole games for the Kings en route to the Cup. Elliot has never done that and he hasn't been that good in the playoff games he has been in.
Quick rolled a .946/1.41 in the playoffs (20 games). Ells rolled a .940/1.56 in the regular season (23 games) not too long ago.

While the above is comparing the regular season to the playoffs, my point is, when Ells is on point, he's proven he can feasibly hit the numbers that Quick has and when Ells is on point, everything about him is shutdown, lights out. Quick and the Kings hit fire at the right time and took off. Even if Elliott had caught fire in the playoffs like Quick did, it wouldn't have mattered. Why?

Because Quick has a far superior team in front of him than Ells does.

This year Crawford did. Had we run Elliott, we may have taken the series with the Hawks. He has been the better goaltender and .919/1.90 should be enough to take a series with a cap spent, loaded team in front of him.

I think you and I can agree that, unless we resign Miller, our problem is not at goal.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Come on dude. You can't say Elliot is the same as Quick 2 years ago! Quick had one of the greatest post seasons of ANY goalie in NHL history! He stole games for the Kings en route to the Cup. Elliot has never done that and he hasn't been that good in the playoff games he has been in.
Quick rolled a .946/1.41 in the playoffs (20 games). Ells rolled a .940/1.56 in the regular season (23 games) not too long ago.

While the above is comparing the regular season to the playoffs, my point is, when Ells is on point, he's proven he can feasibly hit the numbers that Quick has and when Ells is on point, everything about him is shutdown, lights out. Quick and the Kings hit fire at the right time and took off. Even if Elliott had caught fire in the playoffs like Quick did, it wouldn't have mattered. Why?

This year Crawford did. Had we run Elliott, we may have taken the series with the Hawks. He has been the better goaltender and .919/1.90 should be enough to take a series with a cap spent, loaded team in front of him.

I think you and I can agree that, unless we resign Miller, our problem is not at goal.
Not even the same thing... But Army said Allen is 1 or 2 next year, so only one other goalie will be here..
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

sseagle wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

Not even the same thing... But Army said Allen is 1 or 2 next year, so only one other goalie will be here..
Of course he is; he's on a one-way and the only goaltender we got signed :)

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Miller has already given the media the cold shoulder. Fox 2's Martin Kilcyone said Miller told the media "don't look at me" after the game 5 OT loss and refused to speak to them. Kilcyone said he didn't exactly get along with Miller and didn't think he'd be back.

I agree goal isn't the problem. The Blues need a clutch goal scorer. There was a thread on the PD forums on how the Blues should trade for Ovechkin. That's no guarantee of a Cup but he would definitely increase attendance!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Miller has already given the media the cold shoulder. Fox 2's Martin Kilcyone said Miller told the media "don't look at me" after the game 5 OT loss and refused to speak to them. Kilcyone said he didn't exactly get along with Miller and didn't think he'd be back.

I agree goal isn't the problem. The Blues need a clutch goal scorer. There was a thread on the PD forums on how the Blues should trade for Ovechkin. That's no guarantee of a Cup but he would definitely increase attendance!
If one is superstitious and believes that there is some sort of Groundhog's Day deal really going on, signing Ovie and teaching him D would be akin to Hitch teaching Hull D...they did win a Cup after all, after that, right? :)

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Ovechkin would put butts in the seats and increase regular season attendance but is no guarantee of a Cup.