GDT #78: 4/6/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 11:30 AM > NBC/Y98FM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT #78: 4/6/14 > Blues @ Hawks > 11:30 AM > NBC/Y98FM

Post by flyingnote38 »

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the club has recalled goaltender Niklas Lundstrom from AIK of the Swedish Hockey League (SweHL).

Lundstrom, 21, has appeared in 26 games in the Swedish League this season, including stints with AIK and Sodertalje SK.

The 6-foot-2, 187-pound goaltender has posted a 7-15-0 record overall, including a 2.94 goals-against average, a .893 save-percentage and one shutout.

The Varmdo, Sweden native was originally drafted by the Blues in the fifth round, 132nd overall, of the 2011 NHL Draft

...odd.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Are they putting something into the water supply over there in St. Lou? Because 1st off, the team is playing like a big steaming sack of pig shit and now they're recalling not only a goalie, but far and away the wrong goalie. If there was a need for a 3rd goalie to come up, why the hell isn't it Allen?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:Are they putting something into the water supply over there in St. Lou? Because 1st off, the team is playing like a big steaming sack of pig shit and now they're recalling not only a goalie, but far and away the wrong goalie. If there was a need for a 3rd goalie to come up, why the hell isn't it Allen?
The NHL isn't the only league you call a goalie up to:

The Blues have activated Niklas Lundstrom.
This activation does not seem to be the result of an injury to Ryan Miller or Brian Elliott. The Blues just wanted an extra practice goalie and rather than yank Jake Allen from his staring role with the Chicago Wolves, the Blues decided to bring in Lundstrom. Lundstrom played in Sweden this season and posted a 2.86 GAA and a .894 save percentage in 24 games for Sodertalje of the SEL. Apr. 6 - 12:03 pm et
Source: Lou Korac Twitter

As for our current situation, absolutely not worried. The team is coasting the rest of the season cause it doesn't matter; we either take on Minny or Dallas. These games don't mean jack and the team knows it, so they're screwing around. Hitchcock should have a better leash on them, but I don't see a problem if we tank the rest of the games provided they show up in force when we enter the playoffs. To me, As long as what matters to this team is a shiny Cup and their play jumps a gear, I could care less what they do now as long as they show up when the real season begins.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The concern is real, for sure. But, until we lose 4 games in a playoff series, I'm not going to count this team out. The talent is there. The big concern for me is that we aren't playing hot 'at the right time' as they say. But for every team that gets on fire at the right time (2012 LA Kings, lookin' at'choo), there are teams that back in to the playoffs and do well.

Part of me wonders if it's not just injuries to Steen/Senko that's hurting us, but if there are guys struggling with playable injuries that might be hampering their play.

As someone said, we are Blues fans. It's in our nature to freak out this time of year and it's starting to happen early. We've got 4 games (Wash, @ Minn, @ Dal, Det) to right ourselves. I think every one of those games are winnable. But what I'd like to see is more creativity, less dump and chase, more hitting.

The only other thing I'll say is that if they're coasting to the end? Fine. But don't say you want to win the President's trophy and then not show up for 3 straight games. Each team, champions included, always go through adversity, always go through slides with poor play. Let's just hope this is that.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I am not sure our forwards group is talented or fast enough right now, especially without steen and tank.

I am really disappointed with Derek Roy's play this year.

Steve Ott has been a turd thus far. He was -4 yesterday @ Chi.

I think the comment about lack of offensive and defensive adjustments is clearly a good observation.

We had the same issues in the playoffs the last couple years. We keep doing the same thing hoping that doing it better will get a different result.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I am not sure our forwards group is talented or fast enough right now, especially without steen and tank.

I think the comment about lack of offensive and defensive adjustments is clearly a good observation.

We had the same issues in the playoffs the last couple years. We keep doing the same thing hoping that doing it better will get a different result.
I'll agree somewhat with Roy. He's shown flashes and the guy never plays with a consistent line. I will completely agree about Ott, and will gladly add Paajarvi and Berglund to that list. I've never seen Berglund look so lazy and sluggish as I did Saturday against the Avs. At the rate we are going, I wouldn't mind seeing the Porter, Cracknell and Reeves line back together and sitting Ott and Paajarvi. I also wonder what a scratch would do to Berglund. Maybe wake him up? I mean Berglund makes Jorgen Peterson look tough on his skates.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

flyingnote38 wrote:ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the club has recalled goaltender Niklas Lundstrom from AIK of the Swedish Hockey League (SweHL).
...odd.

I just thought this was an odd way of stating this transaction. I guess he was already under contract? Are we looking to have him play over here next season in the AHL or ECHL?

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I am not sure our forwards group is talented or fast enough right now, especially without steen and tank.

I think a few issues are factors.

#1 we lack elite level offensive talent. While we have three lines, at full health, that are second line quality on a contender, we don't really have anyone (at this stage in his career) that is capable of being the best player on an elite first line. We don't really have anyone that can elevate the game of checking line caliber players to scoring line players. No matter who we face in the playoffs, the single best offensive talent in the series will be on the other team; with some potential opponents, as many as the 4 best offensive talents in the series will be on the other team.

#2 we lack scoring depth in the organization. with injury, we are filling in with checking line types (Paajarvi, Jaskin, Ott). Jaskin may develop into a scorer some day, but he's not providing much right now. Since our scoring relies on balance across the line(due to #1 above), this leads to the opponent having an easier time shutting that line down as they can focus on the better players; its like playing a man short especially if its Ott. And unlike last season's stretch run, we are getting zip out of our 4th line. Maybe we should give Rattie a call up?

#3 contrary to popular opinion that the Blues are a tough physical team that wears out their opponents, I think our system wears out our team. They looked tired in the second half of last year. I remember in particular a road win at Winnipeg late in the year in which Blake Wheeler made us look like we were skating in mud. The same thing seems to be happening this year. Less than a week to the playoffs and a probable conference championship season, the constant post-game refrain is not good enough effort. There was one good stretch yesterday when we had the Hawks hemmed in the zone for an extended shift and it ended with the 'exhausted' Hawks getting a breakaway.

#4 Steve Ott sucks.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I absolutely agree about our offensive talent.

I am also starting to sour on the system, but I really think it's about a lack of explosive offensive guys that can create and finish more than anything about hitchs system.

The do look like they need some rest.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I forget which announcer it was during the Hawks game but he raised a good point.

If you're the Blues, and it's late in the game and it's tied and you got ONE player at the top of the circle looking to bury the puck... Who do you pick? And how confident are you that it's going to go in?

I sat there for a moment and went "uhhh....." "Steen? Tarasenko?" and "Not sure" respectively.

The point was: it shouldn't be a big hesitation or question mark and the second answer should be "pretty darn." There's neither.

And I'd echo the "tired" sentiment but to be fair, our guys played a night game against the Avs and turned right around the next morning (essentially) and right back at it against a traditional rival. Hell, BEER LEAGUES don't often schedule games that close together. Kind of scheduling BS if you ask me...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk