GDT #74: 3/29/14 > Blues vs Stars > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #74: 3/29/14 > Blues vs Stars > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

STARS (35-27-11) at BLUES (50-16-7)

TV: TVA-21, FS-MW

Last 10: Dallas 5-4-1; St. Louis 7-2-1

Season series: The Dallas Stars and St. Louis Blues are playing for the fourth time; they'll face each other again in Dallas on April 11. The Blues won the first two games before the Stars defeated them 3-2 in overtime at Scottrade Center on March 11.

Big story: The Blues are on top of the NHL standings and battling for the Presidents' Trophy. The Stars are three points behind the Phoenix Coyotes for the second wild-card position in the Western Conference after routing the Nashville Predators 7-3 at home Friday.

Team Scope:

Stars: Dallas did a great job sharing the wealth in the victory against Nashville. Seven players had a goal and five players had multiple-point nights. It's the kind of balanced scoring the Stars will need down the stretch in order to end a playoff drought that dates to 2008.

"Obviously, us role guys want to chip in a little bit more," said checking center Vernon Fiddler, who scored the goal that made it 2-0. "It's not easy to score in this League. These are the games where we need to all chip in.

"It's nice to get some depth scoring. At the end of the day, we've got to continue to do that. The big guns need some help with that, and it takes a little bit of pressure off of them."

Blues: St. Louis wiped out the Minnesota Wild 5-1 on Thursday, with T.J. Oshie scoring three goals for the first time in his NHL career, to stay ahead of the Boston Bruins in the race for first place in the overall standings.

Coach Ken Hitchcock said it's important for a contending team to be playing well going into the playoffs, and he's going to make sure that's the case for the Blues.

"I think every player who has experience knows you have to play well and build momentum going in," he said after the win against the Wild. "You can't go into the playoffs searching for your hockey team."

Who's hot: Dallas center Tyler Seguin had an assist Friday to extend his point streak to 11 games (six goals, 12 assists). … Oshie has back-to-back three-point games and leads the Blues with 60 points.

Injury report: Stars forwards Erik Cole (upper body) and Rich Peverley (heart) are out. Peverley had a cardiac procedure last week and won't play again this season. … St. Louis defenseman Jordan Leopold (ankle) and forward Vladimir Tarasenko (hand) are out.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #74: 3/29/14 > Blues vs Stars > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Let's keep it rolling and break some records this season. Ultimately, there's only one record that matters...

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Damn, making the thread at 6 am...someones up early.
Tough game, at home we should win.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Can we just play the mild again?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Let's just win this one too. Would like to see that top line keep humming along, but get two or three more lines scoring too.

I really think tank being out is a big loss right now, but also a great chance for others to find more urgency.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:Damn, making the thread at 6 am...someones up early.
You bet. Kiddo had me up at 5:30 so really I was slacking on getting this up here. :mrgreen:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Didn't get to see the whole game, but saw most of the scoring. To me, only the last goal was Miller's fault.

From what I saw, the Blues were outworked by another team that played the previous night.
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I missed the game. I decided to take a girl out instead. I won't be making that mistake again. Clearly the team needs me in Chatzy.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Miller sucks, bring back Brathwaite!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

The Miller could trade end up working out really bad for us.

Halak leads the Blues in shutouts of all time. Elliot is 2nd in shutouts of all time. They both won the Vezina trophy last year. Not even Cujo, for as long as he played with the Blues, is even on the top 10 list of shutouts. But for some reason, management decided we needed someone stronger in the goalie position.

Okay, fine. Back to my point. So let's say Miller ends up playing bad for us. After all Lalime and Osgood were both good goalies, too, before we got them. We traded away Halak, someone somewhat reliable, and we will let Elliot go at the end of this season. Allen may be too inexperienced to start the number one position, so our once-strong position in goaltenders will be gone. And let's face it, Ott isn't exactly producing any more than Stewart was.

Watch Elliot go to another team, becoming the number one, and become an all-star goaltender.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Come on now. Miller has a 2.18 GAA and .912 save percentage. He's also 9-3-1 with the Blues. That's a hair shy of 1.5 points/game with a team that he is probably still trying to gel with. There's no reason to expect him to be bad for us.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

xbleed83bluex wrote:The Miller could trade end up working out really bad for us.

Halak leads the Blues in shutouts of all time. Elliot is 2nd in shutouts of all time. They both won the Vezina trophy last year. Not even Cujo, for as long as he played with the Blues, is even on the top 10 list of shutouts. But for some reason, management decided we needed someone stronger in the goalie position.

Okay, fine. Back to my point. So let's say Miller ends up playing bad for us. After all Lalime and Osgood were both good goalies, too, before we got them. We traded away Halak, someone somewhat reliable, and we will let Elliot go at the end of this season. Allen may be too inexperienced to start the number one position, so our once-strong position in goaltenders will be gone. And let's face it, Ott isn't exactly producing any more than Stewart was.

Watch Elliot go to another team, becoming the number one, and become an all-star goaltender.
Spoken like a professional blues fan, if such a profession existed.

Miller's been playing great. I look forward to seeing what he can do in the playoffs.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Osgood, much like Marc-Andre Fleury, won championships because the team in front of him was loaded and not because he was actually any good at his position. To even suggest comparing Miller to Osgood is premature at best, and probably completely wrong at worst.

That said, Miller sucks. Bring back Beckford-Tseu!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Maybe even Curtis Sanford!
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Roman Turek!

Hannu Toivonen!

"Pure Hard" Divis!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Halak and Elliott never won the Vezina trophy. They won the William Jennings trophy for fewest goals allowed. Miller, on the other hand, actually owns a Vezina.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Okay I looked this up just because I was legitimately curious.

Since 2000-2001, the Blues have had the following players as our "Opening Day" #1 goalie...

Roman Turek
Brent Johnson
Fred Brathwaite
Chris Osgood
Patrick Lalime
Curtis Sanford
Manny Legace
Chris Mason
Jaroslav Halak

And the majority of those guys only played in the range of 35-45 games a year for us, with some only minor exceptions with a few guys playing 50-60 games a year. It also ignores the significant backups like Jason Bacachihua, Ty Conklin and Brian Elliott who were our starters for significant stretches of time.

So let's call it 12 goalies expected to carry the load over the course of (coincidentally) 12 seasons (not counting this year or 05-06). I don't know what the league "average" is but I'm guessing it's not at a goalie per season clip.

That's madness to me. And it needs to stop. We've "tried" having it stop several times. At least 3-4 names on that list were supposed to be "the" answer for us in goal and none of them panned out. I think Ryan Miller is the most legitimate starter, in his prime, of that entire group that we've ever had between the pipes. I think it was needed and I hope to god he's re-signed this offseason. </rant>
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

xbleed83bluex wrote:The Miller could trade end up working out really bad for us.

They won the Jennings and it was two years ago.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Okay I looked this up just because I was legitimately curious.

Since 2000-2001, the Blues have had the following players as our "Opening Day" #1 goalie...

Roman Turek
Brent Johnson
Fred Brathwaite
Chris Osgood
Patrick Lalime
Curtis Sanford
Manny Legace
Chris Mason
Jaroslav Halak

And the majority of those guys only played in the range of 35-45 games a year for us, with some only minor exceptions with a few guys playing 50-60 games a year. It also ignores the significant backups like Jason Bacachihua, Ty Conklin and Brian Elliott who were our starters for significant stretches of time.

So let's call it 12 goalies expected to carry the load over the course of (coincidentally) 12 seasons (not counting this year or 05-06). I don't know what the league "average" is but I'm guessing it's not at a goalie per season clip.

That's madness to me. And it needs to stop. We've "tried" having it stop several times. At least 3-4 names on that list were supposed to be "the" answer for us in goal and none of them panned out. I think Ryan Miller is the most legitimate starter, in his prime, of that entire group that we've ever had between the pipes. I think it was needed and I hope to god he's re-signed this offseason. </rant>
Wow, Manny Legace. Forgot about that guy. Luckily. Kidding, really- he wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great. That seems to be the going theme for all those goalies we've had- show flashes of brilliance from time to time, then be just "meh" the rest of the time.

I hope Miller is the answer as well, and I hope we re-sign him for a reasonable sum, and a reasonable term. But then again, every time we get a new starting goaltender, I hope he is the answer.