GDT #74: 3/29/14 > Blues vs Stars > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #74: 3/29/14 > Blues vs Stars > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by Oaklandblue »

I feel we traded the right goalie. I think it had to happen. Now there's no question that we have a starter and a backup and it seems like Elliott works the best this way and hell, Elliott has shown up the last few playoffs so we at least know where his average and floor is.

If the trick with Ells is bracketing him into a position where he's the go-to guy instead of the only guy we've had to go to in the playoffs due to Halak being injured, this and this alone might be the single factor we need to go deep in the playoffs. When Ells is bracketed like that, he seems to catch fire and shoot for the moon.

If this holds and Tank gets back to the playoffs soon enough and no one else gets injured or slumps, we should be able to do some serious damage.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

gaijin wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Okay I looked this up just because I was legitimately curious.

Since 2000-2001, the Blues have had the following players as our "Opening Day" #1 goalie...

Roman Turek
Brent Johnson
Fred Brathwaite
Chris Osgood
Patrick Lalime
Curtis Sanford
Manny Legace
Chris Mason
Jaroslav Halak

And the majority of those guys only played in the range of 35-45 games a year for us, with some only minor exceptions with a few guys playing 50-60 games a year. It also ignores the significant backups like Jason Bacachihua, Ty Conklin and Brian Elliott who were our starters for significant stretches of time.

So let's call it 12 goalies expected to carry the load over the course of (coincidentally) 12 seasons (not counting this year or 05-06). I don't know what the league "average" is but I'm guessing it's not at a goalie per season clip.

That's madness to me. And it needs to stop. We've "tried" having it stop several times. At least 3-4 names on that list were supposed to be "the" answer for us in goal and none of them panned out. I think Ryan Miller is the most legitimate starter, in his prime, of that entire group that we've ever had between the pipes. I think it was needed and I hope to god he's re-signed this offseason. </rant>
Wow, Manny Legace. Forgot about that guy. Luckily. Kidding, really- he wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great. That seems to be the going theme for all those goalies we've had- show flashes of brilliance from time to time, then be just "meh" the rest of the time.

I hope Miller is the answer as well, and I hope we re-sign him for a reasonable sum, and a reasonable term. But then again, every time we get a new starting goaltender, I hope he is the answer.
You mean Manny Lega-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Manny was never quite the same after he tripped on the carpet. Then again, seeing Sarah Palin has that effect on people, I've heard.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
gaijin wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Okay I looked this up just because I was legitimately curious.

Since 2000-2001, the Blues have had the following players as our "Opening Day" #1 goalie...

Roman Turek
Brent Johnson
Fred Brathwaite
Chris Osgood
Patrick Lalime
Curtis Sanford
Manny Legace
Chris Mason
Jaroslav Halak

And the majority of those guys only played in the range of 35-45 games a year for us, with some only minor exceptions with a few guys playing 50-60 games a year. It also ignores the significant backups like Jason Bacachihua, Ty Conklin and Brian Elliott who were our starters for significant stretches of time.

So let's call it 12 goalies expected to carry the load over the course of (coincidentally) 12 seasons (not counting this year or 05-06). I don't know what the league "average" is but I'm guessing it's not at a goalie per season clip.

That's madness to me. And it needs to stop. We've "tried" having it stop several times. At least 3-4 names on that list were supposed to be "the" answer for us in goal and none of them panned out. I think Ryan Miller is the most legitimate starter, in his prime, of that entire group that we've ever had between the pipes. I think it was needed and I hope to god he's re-signed this offseason. </rant>
Wow, Manny Legace. Forgot about that guy. Luckily. Kidding, really- he wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great. That seems to be the going theme for all those goalies we've had- show flashes of brilliance from time to time, then be just "meh" the rest of the time.

I hope Miller is the answer as well, and I hope we re-sign him for a reasonable sum, and a reasonable term. But then again, every time we get a new starting goaltender, I hope he is the answer.
You mean Manny Lega-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?
That's 2008 NHL All Star Manny Lega-zzzzzzzzzzz to you, sir!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

glen a richter wrote:You mean Manny Lega-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?
Reminds me of one of my favorite Ray Barile sigs:

Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

big d note wrote:
glen a richter wrote:You mean Manny Lega-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?
Reminds me of one of my favorite Ray Barile sigs:

Haha I forgot about that sig. Classic.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW