Top Ten Trades That Make Perfect Sense.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Top Ten Trades That Make Perfect Sense.

Post by Oaklandblue »

#1 of the Potential Top Ten Trades "THAT MAKE PERFECT SENSE" isssssssss........

The one goaltender we got with the most promising upswing, who is pretty much NHL ready now, is Jake Allen. Him and a first for a RENTAL? Out of your goddamn mind.

If the Sabres want a up-and-comer, I'd trade them Bings and they can develop him. Sure as hell not Jake.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Top Ten Trades That Make Perfect Sense.

Post by gaijin »

So we would end up with Miller, Halak, AND Elliott. Giving up Allen essentially takes away our future goaltending, as Miller, Halak and Elliott aren't exactly young. Although for as many years as we've been saying this goalie or that goalie is our goaltender of the future, I really don't care anymore who our "goaltender of the future" is. But that's beside the point. This would force us to move either Elliott or Halak, and when you HAVE to move someone, the return isn't as good because the other team knows you're in a bind. So in addition to giving up Allen and a First, you're getting peanuts in return for either Halak or Ells.

Pass.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

gaijin wrote:So we would end up with Miller, Halak, AND Elliott. Giving up Allen essentially takes away our future goaltending, as Miller, Halak and Elliott aren't exactly young. Although for as many years as we've been saying this goalie or that goalie is our goaltender of the future, I really don't care anymore who our "goaltender of the future" is. But that's beside the point. This would force us to move either Elliott or Halak, and when you HAVE to move someone, the return isn't as good because the other team knows you're in a bind. So in addition to giving up Allen and a First, you're getting peanuts in return for either Halak or Ells.

Pass.
Well, we're not getting peanuts in this situation as much as taking salary on for nothing. We end up with THREE netminders out the door and no one ready to put between the pipes. Talk about a lopsided bargaining table, Batman. Insane.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

No.... franking.... way.

We've already been down the path of screwing up this teams goaltending future (out of a self made necessity) by unloading Bishop for peanuts. Let's not screw up again by trading Allen. Seriously. Prime goaltending prospects don't grow on trees. Unless they think Binnington can be the #1 of the future. I think he can, but I'd rather not wait for him to be ready when Allen is ready right now.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yeah, absolutely not. Halak + something for Miller. Allen isn't on the table.

A few days ago I read my first BR article in a long time. It was 3 possibilities of Halak + X for Miller. While the trade ideas weren't god awful, I remembered why I don't read BR. It makes my head hurt. Did you know that the Blues struggle to score goals this year? BR says we do.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

No (Franking) way.

Do it arrrrrrrmy
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Yea, that's more like "#1 trade that makes no sense". That's a desperation trade. Right now I don't think we're in a position of being desperate for a goalie. We technically have the upper hand in a trade for Miller, as much as the Sabres would probably disagree. It's not like we NEED to take Miller from them, but I would say they NEED to get something for him since he's surely walking at the end of the season.

I said this in Chatzy, AKA "The Artist Formerly Known As Flashchat" (How's the repair going on this BTW? We've been a fairly mediocre team since Flashchat died. It's not a coincidence anymore.), last night though: if Allen is as good as everyone claims, why don't we bring him up now and let him play? If he's the future why don't we find out what we have for sure? Everywhere I read says he's ready, so what's the hold up? He's inexperienced? Well, no shit. You kind of have to play to get experience. Worst case scenario, he plays and totally bombs. Well, then you go back to Halak/Elliott and go from there. Obviously it's a risk. If he falters, his value drops. On the flip side, he could do outstanding and none of this would even matter. We could trade Halak or Elliott to address other needs instead.

Trading Allen right now, without knowing what he is, seems like a really stupid move, especially for next season. I just don't want to mess this up and end up with 0 goalies and have to dig from the scrap heap. It gives me flashbacks of the Turek/Johnson/Osgood/Mason/Legace years.

HOWEVER, again, I know we're all tired of worrying about "next season" and want to win NOW so maybe I'm just high. Maybe you go balls out and just do this.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think what might happen is Halak or Elliott will be moved in a package that brings back a forward or two rather than Miller. Then, naturally, Allen will be recalled to back up whoever doesn't get traded. There's a solid chance both Halak and Elliott are both gone in the offseason anyway and there's a new, cheaper backup brought in to spell Allen. So it really doesn't matter, in the long haul, which guy they trade now. Trading Allen, however, would be idiotic. Armstrong isn't an idiot. Ergo, this trade makes no sense whatsoever.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

So looking at this I am wondering if the plan isn't halak and change for miller, sign miller when the cap goes up, trade Ells at the draft (deadline!?), and head to next season with miller and Allen. This makes the most sense to me if the miller trade happens.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:So looking at this I am wondering if the plan isn't halak and change for miller, sign miller when the cap goes up, trade Ells at the draft (deadline!?), and head to next season with miller and Allen. This makes the most sense to me if the miller trade happens.
That thought occurred to me. Why do we need to keep one of Halak or Elliott to start/backup Allen when we can have Miller and Allen and dump Halak and Elliott both? None of these rumors were based on it being fact that one of the two current goalies HAD to stay on the roster.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:So looking at this I am wondering if the plan isn't halak and change for miller, sign miller when the cap goes up, trade Ells at the draft (deadline!?), and head to next season with miller and Allen. This makes the most sense to me if the miller trade happens.
If something indeed does happen, I hope this is how it goes down.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

I think I could theoretically be ok with this trade if we can also trade Halak and Berglung and/or Stewart and get a center in return (like Backstrom). Washington look like they need a goalie...
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

Stewart for Callahan! I'll believe it when I see it.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... er=ya5nbcs
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Callahan is on crack. There's no way a team gives him that many years for that much money. He's a good player, but not an elite scoring forward. He's also often injured and old.

I am fine with renting him for the rest of the season because it's an upgrade at center and frees up Backes et al. to play in a scoring role more. (I would say Backes and Callahan are similar forwards).

It also clears Stewart off the books and makes room for someone with more upside on the wing.

All that aside, I really believe the rumors and permission for his agent to talk to other teams is a negotiating tactic designed to let more GMs tell Callahan's agent just how far off he is on his expectations in an effort to get him to resign in New York. Not saying a trade won't happen, but I believe them when they say their priority is to get him to stay.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

If we were to get a forward, I'd rather get Vanek for Stewart and/or Berglund. Maybe picks. But the dude wants A LOT of money.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7034 ... l:topheads
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

+60 goal differential right now, we clearly need MORE SCORING! (#1 in the league btw)

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

+20 of that +60 is four games against Florida and Edmonton, btw.

We struggle to score three goals most nights against Anaheim, LA, SJ, and Chicago - which seem to have no problem dumping three or four on us - and that's who we have to go through to win a cup. In fact, in 11 games against those teams we are -11 goal differential. If you throw out the blowout win over the kings as an outlier we are -16 against those teams.

I will always take more scoring. We always need more goals against elite teams.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Callahan is on crack. There's no way a team gives him that many years for that much money. He's a good player, but not an elite scoring forward. He's also often injured and old.

I am fine with renting him for the rest of the season because it's an upgrade at center and frees up Backes et al. to play in a scoring role more. (I would say Backes and Callahan are similar forwards).

It also clears Stewart off the books and makes room for someone with more upside on the wing.

All that aside, I really believe the rumors and permission for his agent to talk to other teams is a negotiating tactic designed to let more GMs tell Callahan's agent just how far off he is on his expectations in an effort to get him to resign in New York. Not saying a trade won't happen, but I believe them when they say their priority is to get him to stay.
Callahan is 28. Not exactly "old".

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

glen a richter wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Callahan is on crack. There's no way a team gives him that many years for that much money. He's a good player, but not an elite scoring forward. He's also often injured and old.

Callahan is 28. Not exactly "old".
While not "old" per se, it's ancient when you are asking for a seven year contract at 6 million per and you aren't scoring 50 goals a year.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:+20 of that +60 is four games against Florida and Edmonton, btw.

We struggle to score three goals most nights against Anaheim, LA, SJ, and Chicago - which seem to have no problem dumping three or four on us - and that's who we have to go through to win a cup. In fact, in 11 games against those teams we are -11 goal differential. If you throw out the blowout win over the kings as an outlier we are -16 against those teams.

I will always take more scoring. We always need more goals against elite teams.
Is there a secret forum where ya'll discuss what you are gonna spazz over on the season?

Most games we lose we end up with a negative goal fifferental... and we are 3-0 on the the DickHawks