GDT #43: 1/9/14 > Blues @ Flames > 8:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #43: 1/9/14 > Blues @ Flames > 8:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (30-7-5) vs. FLAMES (15-22-6)

TV: FS-MW, SNET-W

Last 10: St. Louis 8-1-1; Calgary 2-7-1

Season series: This is the third and final game between the St. Louis Blues and Calgary Flames. They've split the first two, with Calgary defeating St. Louis 4-3 in a shootout at Scotiabank Saddledome on Dec. 23, the last time the Blues lost a game.

Big story: The Blues look to extend their winning streak to seven straight, which would be their longest since a nine-game run from Oct. 15 to Nov. 5, 2002. St. Louis is 11-1-2 in its past 14 games and has averaged 4.0 goals during that stretch. But despite a 5-2 win against the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday, coach Ken Hitchcock is expecting a lot more.

"We didn't have the focus [in Edmonton] that we've had in recent games," Hitchcock said following a partial skate Wednesday, "and we're going to have to get it back here on this road trip."

The Blues arrive to Calgary 9-2-2 in their past 13 road games and with a 13-4-3 record away from home that's tied with the Detroit Red Wings for the best in the NHL. However, the Flames have played the Blues tough this season. In the first game, St. Louis nearly lost a three-goal lead in the third period before holding on for a 3-2 victory on Nov. 7. The Blues weren't so lucky in the rematch, when they blew a two-goal, third period lead in the shootout loss.

Team Scope:

Blues: A goal and assist from forward Vladimir Tarasenko paced St. Louis to a season-high sixth straight win. Playing in his second game since missing three with an upper-body injury, center David Backes scored his 17th goal in the game at Edmonton to end a five-game drought.

"There's the potential for [the trap]," Backes said. "We looked at some of the film of the last time we played these guys and they took it to us in the first period."

Flames: One night after ending a four-game winless streak, Calgary was beaten 6-0 on the road by the Phoenix Coyotes that left coach Bob Hartley unhappy with his team's performance, especially after falling behind 2-0 in the second period.

''We're part of a process where excuses will not be a part of it,'' Hartley said. ''They were better than us. We kind of fell apart after those two goals.''

Who's hot: Blues goalie Brian Elliott has won his past six starts and was named the League's second star for the week ending Jan. 5 (3-0-0, 1.00 goals-against average, .962 save percentage, shutout). He stopped 16 of 18 shots Tuesday against the Oilers. Tarasenko has six points in his past four games. … Jiri Hudler leads the Flames with 35 points, including a goal and an assist in a road win against the Colorado Avalanche on Monday.

Injury report: Hitchcock said Blues forward T.J. Oshie (knee) is day to day after he was injured late in the game Tuesday when he collided with Oilers forward Taylor Hall. Defenseman Roman Polak (lower body) and forward Alexander Steen (concussion) remain on injured reserve … Flames forward David Jones (infection-blurred vision) is day to day. Forwards Curtis Glencross (high ankle sprain) and Blair Jones (meniscal tear), and defenseman Kris Russell (MCL sprain) are on IR.

Follow Jon Lane on Twitter: @JonLaneNHL

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #43: 1/9/14 > Blues @ Flames > 8:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Flames 5(Iginla with 4 goals)
Blues 4
......wait Iginla isn't playing for them anymore?
Blues 4
Flames 1
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

You're going down, Cal-GARY! That's where you're going!

[tweet][/tweet]

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Oshie!!!

So we have a but of a misstep to account for Aka payback!!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Damn, this team is fun to watch right now. Just like someone said in the midseason thread. I go into every game expecting to win. Even when down a goal or two, you just get the feeling that they can come back and win.

I was a little worried about seeing Halak back in goal. Afraid he would cool us off but he pleasantly surprised me. Good game, lets keep it going tonight!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Jaro had a tougher night than I remembered.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

This team has put up 5 or more in 13 games this season...in only 43 games. We scored 5 or more three times last season. There are some other things I could mention, but I don't want to jinx the guys, lol.

Holy scoring in bunches batman. While the giant increase in production on offense is really helping... I was shocked to see that our GA/G is actually lower slightly from last year.

The differential between Goals for and against per game is sitting at a staggering 1.42 right now. That's more than double the .62 it was two years ago when we allowed the fewest goals/game in the league (1.89).

Solid defense, balanced scoring output, good special teams play. This is very, very fun to watch. I love the fact that no one is really hyping this team because they can't get Anaheim's and Chicago's cock out of their mouths.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:This team has put up 5 or more in 13 games this season...in only 43 games. We scored 5 or more three times last season. There are some other things I could mention, but I don't want to jinx the guys, lol.

Holy scoring in bunches batman. While the giant increase in production on offense is really helping... I was shocked to see that our GA/G is actually lower slightly from last year.

The differential between Goals for and against per game is sitting at a staggering 1.42 right now. That's more than double the .62 it was two years ago when we allowed the fewest goals/game in the league (1.89).

Solid defense, balanced scoring output, good special teams play. This is very, very fun to watch. I love the fact that no one is really hyping this team because they can't get Anaheim's and Chicago's cock out of their mouths.
I think jinx's only work on crappy teams. This is not one of them.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW