Dmitrij Jaskin Called Up

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Dmitrij Jaskin Called Up

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Dmitrij Jaskin Called Up

Post by glen a richter »

Aboot time. Now send Berglund's sorry useless ass to Chicago.

Edit: Didn't realize Jaskin's call up was because of Steener's injury. Hopefully he's not out too long. Still, hopefully Jaskin stays when Steen gets back and Berglund gets sent elsewhere.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Size and skill?

Because that's where we keep our most skilled players- Chicago. :roll:

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

I agree on the Berglund part. :okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Gaijin are you being facetious? I'd argue that Jaskin is probably our #1 prospect, bar none. The only thing he had to work on was his consistency. Hitch loves the kid, he said as much in the offseason, and the team is very high on him having a big role in the organization moving forward. The only reason he was in Chicago was because he needed to work on the aforementioned consistency.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:Gaijin are you being facetious? I'd argue that Jaskin is probably our #1 prospect, bar none. The only thing he had to work on was his consistency. Hitch loves the kid, he said as much in the offseason, and the team is very high on him having a big role in the organization moving forward. The only reason he was in Chicago was because he needed to work on the aforementioned consistency.
Partially facetious, yes. Just trying to humorously point out that if adding Jaskin to the big club raises the level of skill, we've got the wrong guys playing in St. Louis and the wrong guys in Chicago. Hey, I'm anxious to see what the kid can do, especially if Hitch thinks that highly of him and he is in the long-term plan, and I'm glad he's getting his chance. It just seems funny that we're going to wait for an injury to happen before we bring up a player that raises the skill level of our team.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

gaijin wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Gaijin are you being facetious? I'd argue that Jaskin is probably our #1 prospect, bar none. The only thing he had to work on was his consistency. Hitch loves the kid, he said as much in the offseason, and the team is very high on him having a big role in the organization moving forward. The only reason he was in Chicago was because he needed to work on the aforementioned consistency.
Partially facetious, yes. Just trying to humorously point out that if adding Jaskin to the big club raises the level of skill, we've got the wrong guys playing in St. Louis and the wrong guys in Chicago. Hey, I'm anxious to see what the kid can do, especially if Hitch thinks that highly of him and he is in the long-term plan, and I'm glad he's getting his chance. It just seems funny that we're going to wait for an injury to happen before we bring up a player that raises the skill level of our team.
That's not exactly correct though. I think most teams have skill in the minors that would help the big club, at least that's kind of what you want anyway...The difference is that it's "potential skill".

Jaskin may very well be more skilled than at least one player on the big club, but it doesn't mean he's ready for the grind of NHL play. Hopefully he is now though. I'd love for him to come in and dominate but it doesn't mean he would have done the same if we brought him up any sooner. A couple of months in the minors may have been the polishing he needed, you just never know. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm excited to see what he does though.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

There are a number of guys in Chicago who will eventually be "ready". They have the skill but need the seasoning. And I'm supremely confident that eventually Rattie, Allen, Andronov (maybe), Edmundson and Hakanpaa will all be competing for and/or taking spots on the NHL roster. Jaskin's time is now. It's a shame it took an injury to get him the spot, but I'm completely certain that he'll do well enough to make Hitch and Army reconsider having Berglund on the roster. I believe Hitchcock's exact words were "He plays like he's 26 years old". Quite a compliment for a guy whose biggest negative was his consistency and focus. If he got more in tuned with nightly desire, he'd be a huge addition on the team. Evidently they feel he's gotten there enough to warrant being recalled ahead of some of the other available players including Chicago leading scorer Corey Locke. His numbers in Chicago certainly support that. Fact is, if Jaskin hadn't been hurt, he'd probably have been leading Chicago in scoring and +/- at this juncture. I bet we'll see his name in the box score more than once tonight.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

And the plus side is that if Jaskin makes the most of this chance, then Berglund could become expendable. I know he's having a so-so year, but he's a 25 year old Center that's 6'4" and has 95 g, 106 a (201 pts) in 390 games. Are those numbers out of this world? No. I would be, if available, there are teams that feel they can the most out of him. The ol' 'Change of Scenery' storyline that dominates after a trade.

But I digress. Not trying to make this thread about trading Berglund. When Jaskin came up last year, he didn't have a defined role. The fact that Hitch clearly stated he'd be getting Top 6 minutes indicates that the organ-eye-zation has a plan for him and they want to see what he can do with a defined role and plenty of minutes. It's his time to shine, so to speak. I'm really hoping we see some good things while he's up here.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Every single time the Blues play, I wish more and more that they'd traded Berglund to Edmonton instead of Perron. Given the offensive renaissance of this season, Perron would definitely fit in better this year than he did last year. Maybe we'd have a couple more wins too. They traded the wrong guy.