Countdown to Playoffs!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Countdown to Playoffs!

Post by sseagle »

Blues Clinching Options (99.977% Chance right now)

8th Place : Beat Colorado, OR Wings + Jackets LOSE, OR Jackets + Stars LOSE
7th Place : Beat Colorado + Detroit LOSS
6th Place : Not yet
5th Place : Not yet
4th Place : Not yet
3-1 : UNPOSSIBLE

First Round Opponent Possibility (Entering 4/20/13)
CHI - 0.505%
ANA - 11.168%
LA - 36.163%
VAN - 30.427%
SJ - 17.974%
MIN - 3.736%
DET - 0.00331%
Last edited by sseagle on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Countdown!

Post by Kreegz2 »

I would love to play Vancouver in the first round. We owe them a harsh reality check after what they did to us in 2003. That Blues team was built to win a cup. Pronger, Macinnis, Demitra, Mellanby, Jackman, Young, etc. That was the most infuriated I have been as a Blues fan in my life, even more than the 2001 WCQF.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Countdown!

Post by sseagle »

Blues Clinching Options (99.977% Chance right now)

8th Place : Columbus LOSS -OR- Detroit LOSS
7th Place : Blues WIN -OR- Columbus LOSS AND Detroit LOSS AND Dallas LOSS
6th Place : Not yet

First Round Opponent Possibility (Entering 4/21/13)
CHI - 0.334%
ANA - 11.911%
LA - 36.079%
VAN - 31.67%
SJ - 17.902%
MIN - 2.089%

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Countdown to Playoffs!

Post by gaijin »

Today's action (21 Apr):

Columbus @ San Jose: Columbus trying to get enough points to hold off Detroit for that last playoff spot. Also, if they win today, we can jump over San Jose in the standings, assuming we beat Colorado.

Dallas @ LA: Very similar situation to COL/SJ. Dallas is 1 point behind Detroit (with same games played) and 2 behind Columbus (with 1 less game played) for the 8th seed. If Dallas wins, we can jump over LA.

Calgary @ Minnesota: Minny is 3 points behind us, so even if they win and we lose today, we're still in 6th.

Colorado @ St. Louis: Duh.

Since LA and San Jose have the same points with the same number of games played, if Dallas beats LA, Columbus beats San Jose, and we beat Colorado, we're in the 4th spot at the end of today. If the exact opposite happens, we're still in 6th- it will just be less likely that we can catch the 4th or 5th seed.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Blues Clinching Options (99.92% Chance right now)

8th Place : Detroit LOSS
7th Place : Blues WIN
6th Place : Blues WIN -AND- Kings WIN

First Round Opponent Possibility (Entering 4/22/13)
CHI - 0.964%
ANA - 7.974%
LA - 44.248%
VAN - 42.689%
SJ - 3.822%
MIN - 0.223%

Have to win Tuesday to have any realistic shot at #4

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Today's action (22 Apr):

Phoenix @ Detroit: Wings currently on the outside looking in. 3 points behind Columbus for the 8th seed, but 2 games in hand. If Phoenix wins in regulation, it not only helps Columbus, but the Coyotes tie the Wings for points with the same number of games played. Go Phoenix.

Anaheim @ Edmonton: Anaheim has a virtual lock (not mathematically, but extremely likely) on the #2 seed and Edmonton is already eliminated from the playoff contention, so this game is inconsequential.

Chicago @ Vancouver: Mostly inconsequential. Canucks are almost guaranteed the #3 seed as no other team in the Northwest can catch them. Minnesota technically could, but they would have to win every remaining game and Vancouver would have to lose every remaining game for that to happen. And how likely is that?

Of note: Chicago has 73 points with 44 games played. If they win their last 4, they will end with 81 points in a 48-game season, equivalent to 138 points in an 82-game season. Holy crap. :shock:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

gaijin wrote:Today's action (22 Apr):

Phoenix @ Detroit: Wings currently on the outside looking in. 3 points behind Columbus for the 8th seed, but 2 games in hand. If Phoenix wins in regulation, it not only helps Columbus, but the Coyotes tie the Wings for points with the same number of games played. Go Phoenix.
If Phoenix wins in Regulation, both the Blues and Sharks are guaranteed a playoff spot.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

STLADOGG wrote:
gaijin wrote:Today's action (22 Apr):

If Phoenix wins in Regulation, both the Blues and Sharks are guaranteed a playoff spot.
Which is of course why the Coyotes are currently laying a big fat turd. Hopefully the Wings step in it.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Blues Clinching Options (99.867% Chance right now)

8th Place : No clinching option
7th Place : Blues WIN
6th Place : Blues WIN -AND- Kings WIN

First Round Opponent Possibility (Entering 4/23/13)
CHI - 1.187%
ANA - 6.544%
LA - 44.8%
VAN - 43.327%
SJ - 4.009%

Elimination Possibility
If the Blues LOSE and the Kings OR Sharks WIN, no chance at 4th place.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Today's action (23 Apr):

3 interesting games today:

LA @ Minnesota: LA is in 4th with 57 points, Minny is 7th with 51 points. If Minny wins, it could help us catch up with LA, and at the same time one of the bottom spots becomes harder for Detroit to claim. On the other hand, if they win, the Wild are within striking distance from us.

Dallas @ San Jose: Dallas is currently in 10th with 48 points (2 behind Detroit), while SJ is 1 point ahead of the Blues with 55. Since we lost to Colorado the other day, it wouldn't hurt if we got a little help from Dallas here. We could jump into that 5th spot tonight. I'm torn between my desire for Detroit to miss the playoffs and my desire for them to make it and then get humiliated in the first round. I think I'll go with missing the playoffs and ending their streak. About time those asshats fell out of the spotlight.

Colorado @ St. Louis: Obvious. I'm going to be really pissed if we lose two in a row to freakin' Colorado when the 5th seed is within our grasp. Plus, our final game of the season is against Chicago, so let's be honest- we need the points tonight and Thursday against Calgary.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Yup take care of our own business tonight and Thursday and you never know....If Pittsburgh losses a couple games this week, Chicago may sit some guys on Sunday.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Blues Clinching Options (Locked in!!!)
8th Place : UNPOSSIBLE
7th Place : Clinched!
6th Place : Blues WIN
5th Place : Blues WIN -AND- Kings LOSE -AND- Sharks LOSE

First Round Opponent Possibility (Entering 4/24/13)

ANA - 5.783%
LA - 38.559%
VAN - 40.943%
SJ - 14.724%

Elimination Possibility
If the Blues LOSE and the Kings AND Sharks WIN, no chance at 4th place.
If the Blues LOSE and the Kings AND Sharks WIN, no chance at 5th place.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Today's action (24 Apr):

LA @ Detroit: This one has some significance- Detroit is currently 9th, one point behind Columbus, with one game in hand. If they win, they jump over Columbus into the 8th spot, and into the playoffs. LA is currently tied with San Jose for points and games played, so they want to do their best to hold on to their current 4th seed. Both teams want this game bad. Should be a high-spirited contest. Feel free to beat each other to a pulp.

San Jose @ Phoenix: Phoenix is already eliminated, but SJ is currently one point up on us, and tied with LA for points and games played. If SJ wins and LA loses, the Sharks take over 4th and the Kings drop to 5th. If LA wins and SJ loses, things largely stay as they currently are- it just gets a little easier for us to catch SJ.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

gaijin wrote:Today's action (24 Apr):

LA @ Detroit: This one has some significance- Detroit is currently 9th, one point behind Columbus, with one game in hand. If they win, they jump over Columbus into the 8th spot, and into the playoffs. LA is currently tied with San Jose for points and games played, so they want to do their best to hold on to their current 4th seed. Both teams want this game bad. Should be a high-spirited contest. Feel free to beat each other to a pulp.
(Frank). I don't like this game. I really do not want any of these these teams to win. With our luck it will be a 3 point game :facepalm:
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:

(Frank). I don't like this game. I really do not want any of these these teams to win. With our luck it will be a 3 point game :facepalm:
I came to post the same thing--it's bound to be a 3 point game.

At this point, I'm trying to only concern myself with what the Blues can control. The other cards will fall as they will. With any luck, the Blues will have won enough to put themselves in a favorable position.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:

At this point, I'm trying to only concern myself with what the Blues can control. The other cards will fall as they will. With any luck, the Blues will have won enough to put themselves in a favorable position.
Yeah, at this point we ask ourselves; does our hate of the Wings outweigh the want of the Blues in the 4th spot? Tough question.
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:

Yeah, at this point we ask ourselves; does our hate of the Wings outweigh the want of the Blues in the 4th spot? Tough question.
Yes. Clearly yes IMO. 4-6th are roughly the same to me IMO, except 4th has home ice for one round. I don't have much of a preference between playing LA and Vancouver, so I'm rooting for the Red Wings to miss out.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here. I hate the Wings, but I fear the Kings. Come on Detroit. Get us that 4th seed! Kings are freaking big. They would have AMac running for his life!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

There's some people cursing in Columbus tonight, that's for sure.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Well...it wasn't a 3 point game.
Watching this Detroit-Columbus situation really makes you appreciate clinching a playoff spot already. :okman:
TW Tiger Woods TW