Western Standings, Apr 3

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Western Standings, Apr 3

Post by gaijin »

All teams have 2-3 games to go.

The least interesting story is the Northwest Division, as Vancouver has easily clinched their division, and is battling St. Louis for the best record in the West. Colorado is the only other team from the Northwest with a shot at the playoffs, but they're currently sitting in 10th place, 2 points out of the playoffs, and one less game in hand than the 3 teams ahead of them. Not impossible, but not probable at this point. Looks like VAN will be the sole representative from the Northwest Division this year.

In the Central, with the exception of Columbus, all teams have locked in a playoff berth, but the exact positioning remains of interest. Right now, Chicago and Nashville have the same points, but Nashville has one game in hand and is only one point behind Detroit. Without a doubt, these teams will be #4, 5, and 6, which makes for some interesting first-round matchups. There could be a DET-NSH series in either city, or possibly a DET-CHI matchup (likely in Detroit). The team that finishes #6 (currently Chicago) will play the winner of the Pacific Division (currently LA). Personally, I would like to see DET and NSH, and CHI and LA beat each other up in the first round. Better for us.

The Pacific is still very much in contention. Right now LA has a 2-pt advantage (good enough for the Division lead and 3rd place in the Conference), but PHX is just 2 pts behind them with a game in hand. SJ trails PHX by a point, and DAL (currently sitting 9th) trails SJ by a point. If LA does win the Pacific, they are likely to face CHI (or perhaps even NSH). Quick-Rinne matchup, anyone?

For us, we are comfortably the 1st or 2nd seed. Pride put aside, finishing 1st or 2nd really won't make much of a difference in the first round, as we are almost equally likely to draw Phoenix or San Jose either way. I'd almost rather VAN have to deal with the pressure of being the #1 seed. Almost.

With only a few games left for everyone, those last couple playoff spots are still undetermined. I love it. :letsgoblues:

As of right now:
VAN vs. SJ
STL vs. PHX
LA vs. CHI
DET vs. NSH

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Western Standings, Apr 3

Post by Winning Unlimited »

The second seed is almost better than the first. Suppose no upsets, seeds 1, 2, 3, and 4 advance. The number 2 seed plays the 3 seed. The 3 seed is worse than the 4 seed. I'd rather play LA than Nashville.

Stephen Schmanske, a Professor in California, suggested to me that teams should be able to pick their opponents. So, whoever finishes #1 can pick among 7 teams to play. Whoever finishes #2 can pick among 5 teams, and so on. If a team comes into the playoffs hot at #8, or have a great goalie, a team can pick to play someone else.
Last edited by Winning Unlimited on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

It's a great time to have NHL Center Ice. 8)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

It seems kinda sucky that Chicago gets a first-round reward for being 4th in their division by getting to face the worst division-winner. A similar thing is happening in the East, where New Jersey escapes the Philly-Pittsburgh buzzsaw and gets to play Florida.

I'm thinking that if the NHL proceeds next year on the same playoff format and divisions, the division winners shouldn't be guaranteed the first three spots in the conference, but rather just one of the top four spots in the conference, so that they can have first-round home-ice. Looking at this year, that would mean:

Pacific Division winner would end up with the fourth seed, and the second-place team from the Central finishes with the three seed. As of this moment, that would make the matchups:

VAN-SJ
STL-PHX
DET-CHI
LA-NSH

In the East, that bumps Florida to the fourth seed and forestalls PIT-PHI a bit:

NYR-WSH
BOS-OTT
PIT-NJ
FLA-PHI

The bottom line is that weak division winners should not be buoyed by the playoff system at the expense of good teams in strong divisions.

Unless, of course, it means Detroit loses in a smoldering heap of suck.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I think the whole idea of division winners is ridiculous. Keep the divisions to help with travel and rivalries... but they should just drop the entire concept of rewarding division winners.

If an entire division misses the playoffs, then they just do. Oh well.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Winning Unlimited wrote:The second seed is almost better than the first. Suppose no upsets, seeds 1, 2, 3, and 4 advance. The number 2 seed plays the 3 seed. The 3 seed is worse than the 4 seed. I'd rather play LA than Nashville.

Stephen Schmanske, a Professor in California, suggested to me that teams should be able to pick their opponents. So, whoever finishes #1 can pick among 7 teams to play. Whoever finishes #2 can pick among 5 teams, and so on. If a team comes into the playoffs hot at #8, or have a great goalie, a team can pick to play someone else.
I've always thought that would be a cool way to do it. Because not only does it reward regular season winners, by giving them more control... it also makes for such compelling story lines...

The teams that get picked instantly have a chip on their shoulder... "They think they can beat us? US? Those arrogant bastards have made the worse choice of their careers!"

When you pick your opponent it just makes everything more dramatic. It gives everyone more to talk about.

It would also make 1st overall way more important. If some goalie is playing out of his mind, you could not select to play him in the 2nd round. You could instead pick the team that just got beat to hell in the first round and is missing two of their best players.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

kodos wrote:
Winning Unlimited wrote:The second seed is almost better than the first. Suppose no upsets, seeds 1, 2, 3, and 4 advance. The number 2 seed plays the 3 seed. The 3 seed is worse than the 4 seed. I'd rather play LA than Nashville.

I've always thought that would be a cool way to do it. Because not only does it reward regular season winners, by giving them more control... it also makes for such compelling story lines...

The teams that get picked instantly have a chip on their shoulder... "They think they can beat us? US? Those arrogant bastards have made the worse choice of their careers!"

When you pick your opponent it just makes everything more dramatic. It gives everyone more to talk about.

It would also make 1st overall way more important. If some goalie is playing out of his mind, you could not select to play him in the 2nd round. You could instead pick the team that just got beat to hell in the first round and is missing two of their best players.
It's intriguing to think about... would Vancouver pick Chicago, just to say they beat them again? San Jose, if they make it, would be the easiest matchup for the Canucks, but I think they would like to give a giant "(Frank) you" to the Blackhawks if they had the chance.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If the new divisions had been approved, this wouldn't be an issue.

We'd have divisional playoffs, 1v4, 2v3 in every division.

That's the way it used to be...and that's the way it should be.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:If the new divisions had been approved, this wouldn't be an issue.

Not this year we wouldn'ta
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

sseagle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:If the new divisions had been approved, this wouldn't be an issue.

Right...I was talking next year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

cprice12 wrote:
sseagle wrote:

:doh:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:
sseagle wrote:

We shall kicketh thine asses henceforth and hitherto and so forth and so on.

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by sparty09 »

Preds win and they're now in 4th. Anaheim can help the Blues out a lot by stealing one in Vancouver, but it's 2-2 in the 2nd. I'm not too confident about that one.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm just glad to be keeping out of that Central Division logjam in the middle there. I would not want to face Nashville, Detroit OR the Hawks in the first round. I'd rather see them battle each other in rivalry fashion and kick each other's teeth in than us having to do it. Granted one team gets out of it but still.

Prospects for the President's Trophy got more remote tonight as well as Rangers win 5-3 to take the inside track. Not that that means a whole lot but still symbolic at any rate.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sparty09 wrote:Preds win and they're now in 4th. Anaheim can help the Blues out a lot by stealing one in Vancouver, but it's 2-2 in the 2nd. I'm not too confident about that one.
4-2 Mighty Ducks(still in 2nd)..how bout that eh?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm just glad to be keeping out of that Central Division logjam in the middle there. I would not want to face Nashville, Detroit OR the Hawks in the first round. I'd rather see them battle each other in rivalry fashion and kick each other's teeth in than us having to do it. Granted one team gets out of it but still.

Prospects for the President's Trophy got more remote tonight as well as Rangers win 5-3 to take the inside track. Not that that means a whole lot but still symbolic at any rate.
There is no reason to be winning cursed trophies that our guys would undoubtedly touch and curse the whole damnable season. Let's win a cup!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

STLADOGG wrote:
sparty09 wrote:Preds win and they're now in 4th. Anaheim can help the Blues out a lot by stealing one in Vancouver, but it's 2-2 in the 2nd. I'm not too confident about that one.
4-2 Mighty Ducks(still in 2nd)..how bout that eh?
4-4 now :facepalm:
Mighty Useless Ducks...
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by sparty09 »

Ducks lose in the SO. I knew there wasn't any reason to trust them.