GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Absolutely embarrassing. Blown out by Columbus. Yeah, we're the cup favorites. Like not at all.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

this team deserves to be swept 1st round, I mean honestly? What the hell was that all about tonight?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

And they'd better not dare come out to celebrate backing into the division. Get your butts off the ice.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

The job is yours Elliott.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The only consolation here is that the same shit just happened to the Wangs and I somehow doubt the Wangs fans are worried that if they can't beat the BJ's, how can they possibly win the cup.

Still, it sucks but I suppose there is a possibility that this serves as a wake up call. If there was ever a good time for a wake up call, it would be now and not in the playoffs in a do or die situation.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Re: GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KM

Post by theohall »

F Keenan wrote:
theohall wrote:Halak does not deserve to be the playoff starter after his last 4 games including this one.
This has to be the dumbest thing I have read in a long, long time.

.927 over his last five.
it is called goals allowed. And Halak is averaging what? 4 per game?? That is playoff goaltending??
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

We clearly need to get it together. But, I'm not as down as some of you. We were bad tonight, no doubt about it. But, guess what. Every single team to ever win the cup had a bad game at some point late in the season. Literally 100% of them. This is 2 bad games in a row, and if we play like we did Thursday and tonight, we'll have a long offseason. But, I don't think having two bad games now means we are going to continue to suck. We haven't lost 3 in a row all season (I think I read that) which tells me this team is able to keep an even keel and bounce back far before anything snowballs.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Re: Re: GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSM

Post by theohall »

theohall wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
theohall wrote:Halak does not deserve to be the playoff starter after his last 4 games including this one.

.927 over his last five.
it is called goals allowed. And Halak is averaging what? 4 per game?? That is playoff goaltending??
And when I wrote that prior post, Halak had given up 2 goals on 6 shots against the friggin Blue Jackets. What is that percentage? .667?? But my post was idiotic.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
theohall wrote:
F Keenan wrote:

.927 over his last five.
And when I wrote that prior post, Halak had given up 2 goals on 6 shots against the friggin Blue Jackets. What is that percentage? .667?? But my post was idiotic.
Well the stats might be bad but my question is how many of those goals tonight were Halak's fault/soft? Was he hung out to drive or was just laying a goose egg along with everyone else?

Regardless of the answer to that question, I still think Elliott should have been starting. Also having big reservations about Halak starting for us in the playoffs now. At least we won't get a Central Division opponent which is nothing short of a relief.

I just don't know how we come into our own house on a Saturday night, Division title on the line, sold-out crowd ready to celebrate and then... that. Ugh. :facepalm:

At least we clinced a top 2 spot in the West. That's the big picture point to keep in mind at least.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

theohall wrote:
F Keenan wrote:

.927 over his last five.
Since it's obvious that you never played or coached the game before, I'll fill you in: Teams are judged by goals allowed. Goalies are judged by save percentage. While Halak's save percentage was lower than his average last night, at .875, how you can watch that game and think that the loss rest on Halak's shoulders??????? Halak doesn't deserve to start in the playoffs? Are you (Franking) serious? If we are going down that road, this TEAM does not deserve to play in the playoffs after the way that they played last night. And fans like you, fans of the St. Louis Blues, who I am still convinced are the some of the least educated fans in the NHL, do not deserve to watch their team in the playoffs with comments like 'Halak does not deserve to be the playoff starter'. Last night’s game was embarrassing to watch, but fans like you make me embarrassed to be a Blues fan.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

theohall wrote:
theohall wrote:
F Keenan wrote:

.927 over his last five.

Yes.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

F Keenan wrote:
theohall wrote:
F Keenan wrote:

.927 over his last five.
Since it's obvious that you never played or coached the game before, I'll fill you in: Teams are judged by goals allowed. Goalies are judged by save percentage. While Halak's save percentage was lower than his average last night, at .875, how you can watch that game and think that the loss rest on Halak's shoulders??????? Halak doesn't deserve to start in the playoffs? Are you (Frank) serious? If we are going down that road, this TEAM does not deserve to play in the playoffs after the way that they played last night.
Amen. The team played like balls in front of Halak, he was getting peppered with pucks every which way. Go back and watch the goals again. 2-3 of the goals came with a Blue Jackets standing right in the crease and no Blues defenseman doing anything about it. The other goal was Stewart's 'great' pass to Umberger to put him on a breakaway. Not to mention one of the goals came when they were down 5 on 3 because they decided to take 3 penalties in a row.

The team played like crap in front of Halak in Chicago too. Keenan is right, if you're going to say Halak doesn't deserve to start because of this one performance, neither do the Blues.

Look, we've had a few bad performances in a row. But the Wangs lost to the Jackets a few nights ago and the Penguins, the hottest team in the league recently, lost back to back games to the Islanders.

Hitchcock won't stand for a performance like this. Elliott would have given up goals with the performance the Blues gave last night too. I just don't understand how anyone can blame Halak. He made some big saves, keeping it even from being even worse.

The Blues. Sucked. Balls. Last. Night.

Columbus just has a way of getting under the Blues skin and bringing the worst out of them. They did it again last night.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

And on top of that, the crowd was into it, the division title was there for the taking against the worst team in the league. Up until the empty netter, the home crowd was pulling the team on...and they turned in a completely lackluster performance.

But I try to look at the positives. They just won a division title. They've got 3 games to right the ship and then almost a week of practice time to prepare for Game 1. I know as Blues fans we're trained to think/fear the worst, but in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen.

And: if a team is in contention for the President's trophy and is still susceptible to knee-jerk reactions, what team isn't?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So none of you have noticed Halak is giving up really bad rebounds again, like he was doing in October? Also GAA is another measure for goalies, not just save pct. Meanwhile, Elliott was not giving up horrendous rebounds and was stopping breakaways when the D failed in front of him. Can't say the same about Halak recently.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Goodbye 1st place.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

they dont play again until Wednesday, So hopefully Hitch will get the boys ready.
It really shouldnt be all that hard, it's against Detoilet. :detsucks:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

You pansies need to calm down. They are having what's known as a psychological rest... they are IN the playoffs and they know it. Big deal. They'll come out blazing when it matters.

This is where the leadership of 44, 10, & 15 comes into play... and especially Hitch.

No biggie.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

goon attack wrote:You pansies need to calm down. They are having what's known as a psychological rest... they are IN the playoffs and they know it. Big deal. They'll come out blazing when it matters.

This is where the leadership of 44, 10, & 15 comes into play... and especially Hitch.

No biggie.
Totally agree. Plus, the Blues got a couple players that haven't played in awhile, so I'm sure it will take some time for all of them to jell.

I'm not worried. These last few games are to get the kinks out. Hitch knows what he is doing and the vets on the team are there to lead the boys on the ice.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

Wasn't able to watch the game last night, but I did listen to it online and saw the highlights.

A few points:
1) According to Chaser, the Blues were getting jobbed in the penalty department. Is this accurate?
2) Yes, the Blues clinched last night, and Goon, I totally understand psychological rest, but it can't happen in front of a sold-out home crowd who's expected to buy playoff tickets. It's embarrassing. Do that shit on the road.
3) Nice pass, #25 :doh:
4) A lot of those goals against us were not by particularly nice plays, but by opponents dogging our net for rebounds. If you're going to put 4 guys in the penalty box at one time, it'd better be because you broke a stick over a guy's face in the crease.

That is all. :goblues:
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Relax. Although it would have been nice to curbstomp the BJs and seal the deal for the Central crown the right way, it's not the end of the world. It will be a wakeup call for the team.

I expect them to come out and totally seal club Detroit on Wednesday. Anything less than a total effort and I'll be upset, and concerned.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.