GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: Re: GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KM

Post by The Flake »

F Keenan wrote:
theohall wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
theohall wrote:Halak does not deserve to be the playoff starter after his last 4 games including this one.
This has to be the dumbest thing I have read in a long, long time.

.927 over his last five.
it is called goals allowed. And Halak is averaging what? 4 per game?? That is playoff goaltending??
Since it's obvious that you never played or coached the game before, I'll fill you in: Teams are judged by goals allowed. Goalies are judged by save percentage. While Halak's save percentage was lower than his average last night, at .875, how you can watch that game and think that the loss rest on Halak's shoulders??????? Halak doesn't deserve to start in the playoffs? Are you (Frank) serious? If we are going down that road, this TEAM does not deserve to play in the playoffs after the way that they played last night. And fans like you, fans of the St. Louis Blues, who I am still convinced are the some of the least educated fans in the NHL, do not deserve to watch their team in the playoffs with comments like 'Halak does not deserve to be the playoff starter'. Last night’s game was embarrassing to watch, but fans like you make me embarrassed to be a Blues fan.
What a douche!!

I don't care what you've played or coached, that was a jerky answer to a very good point. It doesn't matter to me if a goalie faces 100 shots and his save percentage is .943. If he let's in 4 or 5 goals a game, he won't win many hockey games. The proof of a good goalie is when he can keep you in games when the team isn't playing well. And having watched Halak all year (especially in relation to Elliot) he is not going to bring the cup to St. Louis unless the team carries him. I don't know why you have your nose stuck straight up Halaks butt but he has shown all season long (barring a couple of stretches) that he doesn't have the mental or physical attributes needed to take a team by his own merit to the cup finals. Lets start with some basic goal tending basics:

1.) Positioning - Elliot is more consistently square to the shooter & anticipates where the shot is coming from.
2.) Glove Hand - Elliot actually catches pucks when shot high to the glove side. Halak caught one yesterday and I about had a heart attack. He typically bats them out of the air to land directly in front of him for a sick secondary scoring chance.
3.) Rebounds - Elliot smothers the puck confidently whenever it is near him. It's a 50/50 crap shoot that Halak will actually control and cover the puck when it is in front of him. Way too often I have watched with my own two eyes this season, his attempt to cover the puck and stop play then your holding your breath because he's flopping around the crease and you don't know if he'll get it or the opposition.
4.) Consistency - Elliot has been more consistently "elite" all year. I don't care if he is the "backup" goalie or not. I seem to remember a guy by the name of Roloson who passed through St.Louis as a backup. As soon as he left here, he had 5-6 outstanding seasons and carried some teams deep into the Stanley Cup Playoffs with "elite" play.
5.) Desire - Sometimes I wonder if Halak gives two craps if he plays, sits, wins, looses, or stops the puck at all. To win, you have to want to win. I don't get that vibe from Halak at all. Not once during this season have I seen a true desire to compete. He has the Chris Stewart complex. Every time Elliot steps onto the ice and defends our net, you watch the game and think....This guy wants to win.
6.) Shootouts - The absolute finest representation of actual goaltending ability to read a play, be positionally smart, and physically perform to stop a shooter. Recors speak for themselves. Halak completely embarrases himself everytime it's one on one and his opponent has any skill at all.

If St.Louis doesn't start Elliot it will be a true disservice. I don't care about stats for goalies, gimme wins any day of the week and give me a winner. BTW, forum posters like you make me embarrassed to be a LGB reader. Have some respect for your fellow posters.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #79: 3/31/12 > Blues vs BJ's > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by philco_3 »

northwest dave wrote:
goon attack wrote:You pansies need to calm down. They are having what's known as a psychological rest... they are IN the playoffs and they know it. Big deal. They'll come out blazing when it matters.

This is where the leadership of 44, 10, & 15 comes into play... and especially Hitch.

No biggie.
Totally agree. Plus, the Blues got a couple players that haven't played in awhile, so I'm sure it will take some time for all of them to jell.

I'm not worried. These last few games are to get the kinks out. Hitch knows what he is doing and the vets on the team are there to lead the boys on the ice.
I just hope they get the right players out there right now. I don't know maybe sit Stewart and Jackman a game and let some else who can maybe do something out there?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

philco_3 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
goon attack wrote:You pansies need to calm down. They are having what's known as a psychological rest... they are IN the playoffs and they know it. Big deal. They'll come out blazing when it matters.

This is where the leadership of 44, 10, & 15 comes into play... and especially Hitch.

No biggie.
Totally agree. Plus, the Blues got a couple players that haven't played in awhile, so I'm sure it will take some time for all of them to jell.

I'm not worried. These last few games are to get the kinks out. Hitch knows what he is doing and the vets on the team are there to lead the boys on the ice.
I just hope they get the right players out there right now. I don't know maybe sit Stewart and Jackman a game and let some else who can maybe do something out there?
I'm pretty sure that Hitch knows what he is doing.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

northwest dave wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:

No biggie.

And yet, he keeps playing #25.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Halak makes some highlight reel saves. He also lets in some softies. He will get across and stuff what should be an open net. He also flails his glove hand around and gives out phat rebounds.

The bottom line: he's human.

Elliot has had a career year. He's also let in some softies, given up some rebounds, and made some plays that make you scratch your head.

He's clearly human too.

My personal opinion is you start the guy that is playing the best and you ride him as far as he will go. To the eye test, the better of the two right now is Elliot.

Of course, I don't get paid to evaluate, scout, or coach anyone. I just sit on my chair and drink copious amounts of adult beverages and cuss at my television.

meh, just bring on the playoffs and lets go with whoever we got.

:goblues:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

This team is fine. I like that everyone is pissed about what is practially a meaningless loss. Our expectations should be high. Maybe they were partying the night before.

So we might not win the President's Trophy... big deal. It's a moot point unless the Rags win the East, which is unlikely.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

fargoblues wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:

No biggie.

And yet, he keeps playing #25.
And yet, he took a sub .500 team to winning the division for the first time in over a decade. I'll trust his judgment on that one.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

It sucks to lose, but I really don't care that much right now.
It would be nice to win the conference, but whatever...I'm in playoff mode already. We'll either finish 1st or 2nd in the conference and have home ice advantage until at least the conf. finals, if we get that far...and if Vancouver gets upset in rd. 1 or 2, we'll have home ice in the conf. finals...and if the Rangers don't get to the finals, we'll have home ice if we get that far.

I was talking hockey with my father-in-law today. And we talked about the recent couple game skid...I told him that I won't be concerned until they are down two games in a playoff series AND have lost a home game.

Let's just start the playoffs already.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/