Puck Daddy puts "Pietrangelo" and "Norris" in same sentence

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Puck Daddy puts "Pietrangelo" and "Norris" in same sentence

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... nNTH17vLYF
The St. Louis Blues are closing in on the Presidents' Trophy and leaving a mark on the NHL record books in the process.

Brian Elliott's ninth shutout of the season on Tuesday night set a franchise record for longest shutout streak (183:33) and number of shutouts, passing Glenn Hall. His combined shutouts with Jaroslav Halak, 15, tied the NHL's post-expansion record held by the 1969-70 Chicago Blackhawks.

For this, Ken Hitchcock will be given the Jack Adams Award — with due respect to the jobs accomplished by Paul MacLean and the Ottawa Senators, Kevin Dineen and the Florida Panthers and Barry Trotz and the Nashville Predators.

For this, Halak and Elliott will win the Jennings Trophy as the best goaltending tandem in the NHL — they have a combined 1.78 GAA right now, having allowed 139 goals. The Blues would need a total collapse not to set an NHL record for the best defensive team since expansion.

But neither Halak nor Elliott will win the Vezina. Not enough games played individually, and they'll siphon each other's votes. But if the NHL's postseason awards voters wanted another way to honor this remarkable, historic season by the St. Louis Blues defense, a suggestion:

Alex Pietrangelo for the Norris Trophy.

It helps that he's a damn good player, too.

Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Dispatch notes that Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk have combined to give the team one of only three 40-point defensive duos in the NHL this season. Said Shea Weber to Rutherford:

"Coming into the league, you don't know what to expect from them and now that we play against them six times a year, you get to know them a little bit. They see the ice very well, and ... they're able to create a lot of offense if they're getting over 40 points."

Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo each finished with 43 points last season, but 26 of Shattenkirk's points came with Colorado before St. Louis acquired him in February 2011. With each reaching the 40-point plateau this season, they became the first Blues' defensive pair since Chris Pronger and Al MacInnis in 2001-02 to accomplish it. That season, Pronger had 47 points and MacInnis 46.

One of the major differences between the two: Defensive assignments. Pietrangelo plays 3:09 TOI per game shorthanded, which puts him in the Top 20 for NHL defensemen; thing is, only two players above him on that list have more than 30 points as well (Filip Kuba and Kimmo Timonen).

Craig Custance (behind the ESPN paywall) looked at the Blues' awards options, and heard Hitchcock's case for Pietrangelo and the Norris:

"The thing that's relevant for him, if you're describing a defenseman, you're talking about a guy who collects points, plays against the other team's best players and kill penalties. That's what he does. He QBs the No. 1 unit on the power play, plays against the other teams' best players. He kills a minute-plus of every penalty kill. What more can you ask for? He does that. He's not protected. Nobody protects him. That's what he does. If you're looking for a legitimate defenseman, then to me, that's what this guy is. He's the word 'defenseman.' He's not an 'offenseman.' He's a complete player."

Not an "offenseman" … gee, wonder which player Hitchcock is comparing him to this season?

Erik Karlsson, whose 76 points and occasional defensive lapses have made him a contentious favorite for defenseman of the year, was put right into the conversation with Pietrangelo this week by Blues broadcaster Darren Pang on Twitter. Fleshing out his comments to the Ottawa Sun, Pang said:

"When GMs talk about Karlsson vs. Pietrangelo, the No. 1 (question) is: Who is better with the puck? Well, it's Karlsson, no question.

"The No. 2 question is: Who is better 5-on-5, defending going up against the other team's best players and playing on the power play? The answer is Pietrangelo. There is no denying the hand-eye co-ordination and the instincts of Karlsson. They're phenomenal and fun to watch.

"In a playoff series, Pietrangelo is going to play 25 minutes, he's going to play on the (penalty-killing units), the power play and against the other teams best players. So, there's quite a difference in the two players and what they bring to the table. They're both having phenomenal years."

True, but Karlsson's had more hype. So has Shea Weber, seen as the Norris winner in waiting. So has Zdeno Chara, who has inherited Nicklas Lidstrom's role as the annual nominee for the award no matter how he plays in comparison to previous seasons.

In the last USA Today power rankings, Pietrangelo was fifth in the voting behind Karlsson, Weber, Chara and Lidstrom. But now the St. Louis media has the hype machine cranking for him, and the Blues' success will certainly garner him even more attention.

Can Alex Pietrangelo make the Norris Trophy top three; and if so, can he win?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Puck Daddy puts "Pietrangelo" and "Norris" in same sente

Post by kodos »

I don't want Petro to win the Norris. I don't want him to even be a finalist.

What good does it do us? None. It will just put more of a spotlight on him and make him ask for more money.

Mahoney
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Mahoney »

Good for Pietro! I can't say he deserves it over Karlsson, he's had a damn good year, but he gets my vote as a loyal Blues fan!
http://www.stlbluesunderground.net

- MATT

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I don't think he'll win it. He plays for the St. Louis Blues.

As for the Jennings, that's obviously a lock assuming we don't allow 40 goals in the next couple of games and I believe Hitchcock is a lock for the Jack Adams as well; I'd be shocked if he didn't win it.

Bringing home the hardware already. Just need to win the one that really matters now...

:stanleycup:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

kodos wrote:I don't want Petro to win the Norris. I don't want him to even be a finalist.

What good does it do us? None. It will just put more of a spotlight on him and make him ask for more money.
Recognizing that we have the best defenseman in the league will not help us?

The reason I posted this thread is because people have been saying the Blues haven't been getting enough attention (which I've been fine with). But here's someone saying that Petro has been killing it, thought it was worth sharing.

I think the Blues already know that a D man who is only 22, 3rd in points for a D man, and logs lots of minutes is going to cost them.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:
kodos wrote:I don't want Petro to win the Norris. I don't want him to even be a finalist.

The reason I posted this thread is because people have been saying the Blues haven't been getting enough attention (which I've been fine with). But here's someone saying that Petro has been killing it, thought it was worth sharing.

I think the Blues already know that a D man who is only 22, 3rd in points for a D man, and logs lots of minutes is going to cost them.
Anytime I watch NHL Live on the NHL Network, they always talk about the Blues. Not to mention E.J. Hradek's hard on for the Blues.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

dmiles2186 wrote:

It won't help us win hockey games. I'm all for seeing him win a few Norris trophies... but later. After we sign him long term.

He's not going to win anyway. There is no chance.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

kodos wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

It won't help us win hockey games. I'm all for seeing him win a few Norris trophies... but later. After we sign him long term.

He's not going to win anyway. There is no chance.
I do agree with you there. I just think it's proof positive that the organization handled him in the right way and he's made a huge leap.

The Norris trophy itself won't help win hockey games, but Norris-level play will and it has.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Doughty got a nomination for Norris as the tender age of 21... then he held out and got an 8 year 56 million dollar deal.

I think (right now) most people consider Petro better than Doughty.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Pie will get the money from the new ownership. You have to believe there will be new ownership in place relatively soon... right? How long can this shit drag out? I think by the draft, someone is in place and league approved. Then they can begin the arduous task of signing all the kids to ridiculous cap circumventing contracts only to have the league go on yet another lockout and the whole cap structure changed, then the team with the most cap circumventing contracts (which, at that point, will be the Blues) are forced to hand over 10 years worth of first rounders to New Jersey and are stripped of the Stanley Cup they'll win in June, which will be promptly handed over to Pittsburgh.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

[quote="glen a richter"]You have to believe there will be new ownership in place relatively soon... right? How long can this shit drag out? quote]
A while. I did not win Mega Millions last night.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Players and words that belong in the same sentence:

Elliott: Starter
Backes: Selke
Stewart: Pressbox
Perron: NHL '13 cover
Hitchcock: Jack Adams
Blues: Sold

Edit: Would have also accepted
Perron: Masterton

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

If Pie added a physical element to his game, he could be one of the all-time greats.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

thedoc wrote:
glen a richter wrote:You have to believe there will be new ownership in place relatively soon... right? How long can this shit drag out?
A while. I did not win Mega Millions last night.
I was going to buy the Blues, put 2 other assholes had to get the same numbers too
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Mahoney wrote:Good for Pietro! I can't say he deserves it over Karlsson, he's had a damn good year, but he gets my vote as a loyal Blues fan!
If actually playing defense was a requirement for the Norris, Karlsson shouldn't get it. Dude doesn't even kill penalties. How the F can you be the best defenseman in the league, if you don't kill penalties?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... lder-tight
This article was written on March 22 by CBS. They have Petro, Backes, Elliott, and Hitchcock all in contention for their awards.
TW Tiger Woods TW

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I don't have access to the whole article, but an ESPN Insider piece by Neil Greenberg makes the case for Pietrangelo to win the Norris. Been hearing the same thing being said on NHL Radio from the afternoon guys.

Karlsson will probably get it, anyway, because they almost always seem to give it to the highest scoring defenseman. The case being made by many is that Pietrangelo does everything (even strength, PK, PP) and does all of them very well when compared to the other Finalists (Karlsson, Weber, Chara, and Lidstrom). And he is rarely on the ice for even strength goals against.

Pietrangelo may not get the Norris this season, but he will likely earn one or more during his career, if he keeps playing the way he did this season and the 2nd half of last season.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Don't they have an obligation to give it to Lidstrom?
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

STLADOGG wrote:Don't they have an obligation to give it to Lidstrom?
Yes. If Lidstrom doesn't win, New Jersey gets our first round pick each of the next 5 years.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

theohall wrote:I don't have access to the whole article, but an ESPN Insider piece by Neil Greenberg makes the case for Pietrangelo to win the Norris. Been hearing the same thing being said on NHL Radio from the afternoon guys.

Karlsson will probably get it, anyway, because they almost always seem to give it to the highest scoring defenseman. The case being made by many is that Pietrangelo does everything (even strength, PK, PP) and does all of them very well when compared to the other Finalists (Karlsson, Weber, Chara, and Lidstrom). And he is rarely on the ice for even strength goals against.

Pietrangelo may not get the Norris this season, but he will likely earn one or more during his career, if he keeps playing the way he did this season and the 2nd half of last season.
I'll say it again...if Karlsson gets it, it will be a joke.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/