The Playoffs...Halak or Elliott?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who should be our #1 goalie in the playoffs?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 am

Halak
58%
Elliott
42%

Total votes: 31

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: The Playoffs...Halak or Elliott?

Post by ibldbl »

Gotta go with the experience. Halak
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Tough question. Really tough...My first instinct is to say Halak but watching Elliott, especially these past 2 games, I don't know. He's made some radical saves. He's not just getting shutouts because of the defense, he's flat out bringing it.

I don't think I can vote on this because it's just that close.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:While this might be a decent argument for not starting Halak, it's not one for starting Elliott instead.

Elliott has 4 games of playoff experience ever and he was brought in as a spare part this most recent offseason because nobody wanted him. While he's been remarkably consistent this year when playing teams not named the Blackhawks I just don't see how you start him against Halak who, despite his playoff hiccups (and that's an accurate classification of them) DOES have the experience of being there, knowing the speed and how to handle it.
Elliott has been more than "remarkably consistent"...he's been the best goalie in the NHL by a mile, and he's pretty much been there the entire season. Nobody is even that close to him...except Halak.

If Halak & Elliott were getting paid the same money, Elliott would be our #1 during the season and in the playoffs. There is no doubt in my mind.

It's all about the money and who ownership wants to be the #1. They have both been outstanding and even though Elliott has been better, Halak will be given the opportunity to be the guy in the playoffs. If he falters, then hopefully it's not too late for Elliott to save the day.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Lead the league in Shutouts, GAA, and Save Percentage, yet be considered the backup for the playoffs.

I know, Halak would probably be right with Elliott if one takes away Halak's first month of the season.

IMO, the rotation in combination with the stingy defense are why the two have stayed so sharp for so long. It will be interesting to see how these goalies who have started almost every game for their teams in the regular season will hold up in the playoffs, while the Blues goalies should be considered rested.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:Lead the league in Shutouts, GAA, and Save Percentage, yet be considered the backup for the playoffs.

I know, Halak would probably be right with Elliott if one takes away Halak's first month of the season.

IMO, the rotation in combination with the stingy defense are why the two have stayed so sharp for so long. It will be interesting to see how these goalies who have started almost every game for their teams in the regular season will hold up in the playoffs, while the Blues goalies should be considered rested.
That's part of why I would be tempted to use a tandem in the playoffs. I know that doesn't happen and am not sure I think that it should now. But, it is a big part of our success. So, why stop just because it's the playoffs? Because it's unconventional?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:
theohall wrote:Lead the league in Shutouts, GAA, and Save Percentage, yet be considered the backup for the playoffs.

That's part of why I would be tempted to use a tandem in the playoffs. I know that doesn't happen and am not sure I think that it should now. But, it is a big part of our success. So, why stop just because it's the playoffs? Because it's unconventional?
It sure as heck would create a media shitstorm were the Blues to do something unconventional - like not have a #1 goalie in the playoffs - as they have done all season. :)

IMO - base the starter on the opponent. Whomever performed better against team X gets the 1st game. If he sucks, bring in the other guy.

Oh yeah - someone asked if Halak replaced Price in the playoffs in 2010. No. Halak had supplanted Price as the starter the last 1/4 of the 2010 season and was considered the #1 goalie for the Canadiens during that playoff run.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:While this might be a decent argument for not starting Halak, it's not one for starting Elliott instead.

Elliott has 4 games of playoff experience ever and he was brought in as a spare part this most recent offseason because nobody wanted him. While he's been remarkably consistent this year when playing teams not named the Blackhawks I just don't see how you start him against Halak who, despite his playoff hiccups (and that's an accurate classification of them) DOES have the experience of being there, knowing the speed and how to handle it.
Elliott has been more than "remarkably consistent"...he's been the best goalie in the NHL by a mile, and he's pretty much been there the entire season. Nobody is even that close to him...except Halak.

If Halak & Elliott were getting paid the same money, Elliott would be our #1 during the season and in the playoffs. There is no doubt in my mind.

It's all about the money and who ownership wants to be the #1. They have both been outstanding and even though Elliott has been better, Halak will be given the opportunity to be the guy in the playoffs. If he falters, then hopefully it's not too late for Elliott to save the day.
Wow, I normally agree with you Curt, but you REALLY have a hard on for Halak. Look, both guys have been lights out. This team would not be where it is in the standings had Elliott not stepped up when Jaro stumbled and the begining of ther year. Since the shutout over Montreal where Halak seemed to get some closure (I'm convinced the guy up to that point wished he was still a Canadien) Halak has continued to improve and is currently playing like the goalie that we traded for. Halak will get the nod in the playoffs because he is a proven playoff performer. Money and an ownership conspiracy has nothing to do with it. But you are correct in that if Jaro does not get it done in a couple of starts, we need get Ells in there. Until then, Halak is the man.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

F Keenan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

Wow, I normally agree with you Curt, but you REALLY have a hard on for Halak. Look, both guys have been lights out. This team would not be where it is in the standings had Elliott not stepped up when Jaro stumbled and the begining of ther year. Since the shutout over Montreal where Halak seemed to get some closure (I'm convinced the guy up to that point wished he was still a Canadien) Halak has continued to improve and is currently playing like the goalie that we traded for. Halak will get the nod in the playoffs because he is a proven playoff performer. Money and an ownership conspiracy has nothing to do with it. But you are correct in that if Jaro does not get it done in a couple of starts, we need get Ells in there. Until then, Halak is the man.
You mean Elliott?
Well, overall, Elliott been better and more consistent this year. That's not a knock on Halak...I like Halak and he's been outstanding except for the first few weeks of the season and has gotten better as the season has went on...but Elliott has just been a little better and more importantly, more consistent the entire year.

I'm confident we can/will win with either because they've both been amazing, but if you want to put the best goalie in net for us in the playoffs based solely on their play this season, it's not Halak.
Halak's glove hand is flakey at times and he isn't as good at rebound control as Elliott is.

What has been the weakness in Elliott's game this year? I can't think of any. I'm not saying he doesn't have a weakness, but if he has one, it's not noticeable and apparently isn't an issue.

The only thing Halak has over Elliott is playoff success, and Halak...as great as he was at times for Montreal a couple years ago...he was very up and down and was pulled in a couple games as well if I recall. His numbers overall in the playoffs were not lights out, and he had some bad games, but he followed those games up with great games and was the story of the playoffs for Montreal.

They'll go with Halak because he is the #1 guy, and they want him to be the guy, and he can be the guy... but if he falters...ugh. Then people should be wondering why they didn't start the guy with the better numbers this year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Elliott's weakness seems to be that the team can't score for crap when he's in net.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

cprice12 wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

You mean Elliott?
Well, overall, Elliott been better and more consistent this year. That's not a knock on Halak...I like Halak and he's been outstanding except for the first few weeks of the season and has gotten better as the season has went on...but Elliott has just been a little better and more importantly, more consistent the entire year.

I'm confident we can/will win with either because they've both been amazing, but if you want to put the best goalie in net for us in the playoffs based solely on their play this season, it's not Halak.
Halak's glove hand is flakey at times and he isn't as good at rebound control as Elliott is.

What has been the weakness in Elliott's game this year? I can't think of any. I'm not saying he doesn't have a weakness, but if he has one, it's not noticeable and apparently isn't an issue.

The only thing Halak has over Elliott is playoff success, and Halak...as great as he was at times for Montreal a couple years ago...he was very up and down and was pulled in a couple games as well if I recall. His numbers overall in the playoffs were not lights out, and he had some bad games, but he followed those games up with great games and was the story of the playoffs for Montreal.

They'll go with Halak because he is the #1 guy, and they want him to be the guy, and he can be the guy... but if he falters...ugh. Then people should be wondering why they didn't start the guy with the better numbers this year.
OK, agree to disagree. You obviously have an issue with Halak and that goes back to the old days when there was actually a podcast (Yes, I mean you have a hard on for Halak in the same way that if a boss was being a dick to someone, you would say, "That guys got a hard on for you." Not in the way that you have an actual erection for Elliott.)

Let's get back to you claiming this being a money issue. You claim that since the Blues have more money invested in Halak, then he will be the starter in the playoffs???? If this were the Rams I would believe it. I don't see Hitch being influenced by anyone in management over who to play. Not trying to be an ass, i'm just intoxicated and I don't understand your problem with Jaro. This is a guy who ca steal a cup, and that's the only way we get one this year.

All this as Ells is putting on a clinic too.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I don't have a problem with Halak at all. He's been outstanding. He just hasn't been as good as Elliott. I'm not sure how that can be debated. Elliott is the best in the NHL.

Halak is supposed to be the #1, he's getting #1 money and that is why he is here....and with his playoff experience and his play being just a tick behind Elliott, that's enough that he's going to get the nod in the playoffs...and that is what you will hear them say.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

cprice12 wrote:I don't have a problem with Halak at all. He's been outstanding. He just hasn't been as good as Elliott. I'm not sure how that can be debated. Elliott is the best in the NHL.

Halak is supposed to be the #1, he's getting #1 money and that is why he is here....and with his playoff experience and his play being just a tick behind Elliott, that's enough that he's going to get the nod in the playoffs...and that is what you will hear them say.
:lol: It's fun reading this the morning after a Jim Beam Bender.

Yeah, I think you can make a case for either guy. I just see Halak getting the starts once the playoffs begin. Halak took a Habs to the conference finals, a team that barely made the playoffs.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Maybe it's just that I'm conditioned for disappointment with this team, but it scares me that we will somehow turn our biggest strength into our downfall in the playoffs.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

F Keenan wrote:
cprice12 wrote:I don't have a problem with Halak at all. He's been outstanding. He just hasn't been as good as Elliott. I'm not sure how that can be debated. Elliott is the best in the NHL.

:lol: It's fun reading this the morning after a Jim Beam Bender.

Yeah, I think you can make a case for either guy. I just see Halak getting the starts once the playoffs begin. Halak took a Habs to the conference finals, a team that barely made the playoffs.
This is the problem. Halak took the Habs to the conference Finals, but actually played pretty doggone average throughout those playoffs. He has ONE playoff season.

Elliott has the most shutouts in the league, the best save percentage in the league, and the best GAA in the league. He does not currently appear to have a weakness anywhere in his game. In 36 starts, Elliott has surrendered 3 or more goals only 6 times, and one of those went to OT, but not a shootout. Elliott has only allowed 4 goals in his past 6 games, yet has a 3-2-1 record. That's not on Elliott, but the Blues inability to generate goals.

As has already been said, Halak still has a flaky glove hand which rears it's ugly head every 3 or so games and still gives up bad rebounds lots more often than we ever see from Elliott. In 43 games, Halak has surrendered 3 or more goals 13 times. 5 of those were in his 1st 6 games, so Halak has still allowed 3 or more goals 8 times in his remaining 35 games, and only one of those went to a shootout - the most recent loss to Chicago. My concern - that flaky glove hand re-appearing in the first round of the playoffs or the Blues not being able to get to the juicy rebounds first that he still allows. Halak is very streaky as evidenced by his incredibly awesome stretch from Feb 12 to Mar 13th, but 2 of Halak's last 3 have been very flaky. 1-2 with 8 goals allowed in 3 games.

Who would you start given those two recent trends?

Play the guy with the best shot at getting the team a Stanley Cup. That player right now is Elliott.

The current ownership group is selling the team, so screw what they think.

timcolewoman
Prospect
Prospect

Post by timcolewoman »

I start Halak in game 1 of Series 1. He plays until he costs the team a game. That will come if the team defense has a brain fart, or Jaro has a lapse (likely with that glove hand). Then Elliott goes in. Elliott stays in until he costs us a game.

My real fear is that Pietrangelo tires after an onslaught of beatings he will get in a long punishing playoff and our third defensive pairing will be exposed as a fraud. I like Polak/Russell just as much as any other guy, but let's face it. They cannot match up with a top line of a LAK, or even DAL. And those can only be early rounds. Let's hope I'm wrong. A Western Conference Final with a VAN or DET can really pose problems for a young defensive corps.

Let's be greedy here. This team is a postseason failure if it does not go to Game 6 of the Western Conference Final. No caveats for match-ups.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

:aaaa: They were just talking about Elliott's streak on ESPN (PTI) and the guys had some nice stuff to say about his streak. Courtesy of Tony Kornheiser, "They're the best team in hockey and nobody knows who they are." :letsgoblues:
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The more I think about it, the more I think some sort of tandem approach is how we should approach the playoffs. I know it's unconventional, but that isn't a big enough reason to not do it. It's unconventional because most teams have a clear number 1 and it makes no sense to play anything but your best. The Blues don't have a clear number 1. They have 2 goalies that play like outstanding number 1's.

I'm not sure how I would rotate them, but I think it would have to do with who the hot hand is. If one gets unbelievably hot like Elliot is right now, then you obviously let him play. But, barring that, I think there's room to rotate the two. A big part of our success has been alternating the two goalies. I don't think that we should change our formula just because these games weren't on the schedule at the beginning of the year.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

AlsWoodenStick wrote::aaaa: They were just talking about Elliott's streak on ESPN (PTI) and the guys had some nice stuff to say about his streak. Courtesy of Tony Kornheiser, "They're the best team in hockey and nobody knows who they are."
People who follow hockey know exactly who they are.
The problem with Kornheiser, and a lot of other national media guys, is that they don't follow hockey...and the Blues don't have a "Crosby-like" star who is always making headlines and scoring highlight reel goals.

Frankly, I'm surprised he even knows we have a team.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by sparty09 »

FWIW, I find it hard to believe that we will just see one the entire time, regardless of how they do. I can't imagine that either Halak or Elliott would play all of the games, while the other just sits.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

So... what happens if Halak falters tonight and gives up a softie that he should have caught? Loses the game in the third period again? Or God forbid, gets pulled? Advantage, Elliott? Or do you throw Halak out there again Saturday night and hope he improves when the other guy hasn't allowed a goal in 186 minutes of hockey?

I'm just wondering where the Elliott threshold for all the "play Halak because he's got the contract and some experience" folks is.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock