Thrashers Jerseys Thrown on the Ice at Jets/Preds Game

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Thrashers Jerseys Thrown on the Ice at Jets/Preds Game

Post by dmiles2186 »

I don't know if this was a protest or closure, like the enclosed column states, but I feel for the person/people that did this. To me, it's a fan or fans saying, 'We're still here and we won't forget what was done.'

My greatest fear of a fan is my team moving in any sport. I won't ever have to worry about that with the Cardinals. It really is sad to see this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 55185.html
When the Atlanta Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg last summer, the Nashville Predators aggressively courted their abandoned fans. Part of that courtship: The "Thrash To Smash" ticket offer that included two free tickets to Saturday night's game in Nashville against the Winnipeg Jets.

We'll just go ahead and assume it was one of those heartbroken former Thrashers fans that tossed a few Atlanta jerseys on the ice during the Jets' loss to the Predators:

[youtube][/youtube]

For the record: That was a home, road and an older third jersey (as opposed to those terrible thirds they wore near the end) that were thrown on the ice. According to J.R. Lind, there were a dozen more that hit the ice throughout the game.

Was it a protest? Was it a moment of closure, as a Thrashers fan emptied his or her closet of the departed team's gear? QMI's David Larkins wrote: "If it was some fans' protest to the NHL, it was about as sad an effort as, well, Atlanta in the NHL"

Laura Astorian, who had the video above on Thrashing the Blues, wasn't sure this was the right move from one of her fellow Thrashers fans:
Those jerseys, while expensive regardless of if they're Reebok or KOHO or CCM, are worth more than just money. My Thrashers jerseys are about the last connection I have left to a team that I watched for 11 years. So much of the memorabilia is still hard to look at -- the autographed pucks and even my Johan Hedberg autographed goalie stick are put away. But the jerseys remind me of the game experience more than the team, and that was my favorite part about going. I miss my routine, I miss wearing those jerseys, and I miss the hell out of the Thrashers. I just don't know if this is how I'd choose to show it.
An excellent point. Then again, perhaps this is the only way they knew how to finally cope with that loss.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Thrashers Jerseys Thrown on the Ice at Jets/Preds Game

Post by STLADOGG »

At least it wasn't a octopus...who the hell throws an octopus on the ice.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

STLADOGG wrote:At least it wasn't a octopus...who the hell throws an octopus on the ice.
I believe the correct answer there would be homos from detroit.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

STLADOGG wrote:At least it wasn't a octopus...who the hell throws an octopus on the ice.
I've been saying this for years.
It's a (Franking) dead animal that is being chucked onto the ice, picked up, twirled in the air, and the fans go nuts.
Wings fans will say, "It's tradition."
Just becuse it is "tradition" doesn't mean it isn't grossly inapropriate...in this day and age, people should use common sense.
Use the octopus as a symbol of sorts, hang a huge plastic one from the rafters...but don't throw dead ones on the ice you morons.
:facepalm:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

The octopus being thrown on the ice is the only thing about Detroit that I respect precisely because it's about tradition. It's a colorful part of hockey history.

"Grandpa, what did the Blues do? Did they throw some dead sea creature on the ice like Detroit???"

"No, Timmy, we had this thing called the power play dance and some asshole waved a towel around after each goal."

"Oh. That's stupid."

"I know, Timmy, I know."
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

goon attack wrote:The octopus being thrown on the ice is the only thing about Detroit that I respect precisely because it's about tradition. It's a colorful part of hockey history.

"Grandpa, what did the Blues do? Did they throw some dead sea creature on the ice like Detroit???"

"No, Timmy, we had this thing called the power play dance and some asshole waved a towel around after each goal."

"Oh. That's stupid."

"I know, Timmy, I know."
I also would have accepted:

"No, Timmy, you see, we had this big stuffed blue bear...."

"Oh, (Frank) off Grandpa, no way they would do anything so gay..."
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

fargoblues wrote:
goon attack wrote:The octopus being thrown on the ice is the only thing about Detroit that I respect precisely because it's about tradition. It's a colorful part of hockey history.

"Oh. That's stupid."

"I know, Timmy, I know."

So your saying we should start our own tradition of throwing a dead blue bear on the ice?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Austin Powers: That really hurt! I'm gonna have a lump there, you idiot! Who throws a shoe? Honestly! You fight like a woman!

[youtube][/youtube]

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

STLADOGG wrote:
fargoblues wrote:

"Oh. That's stupid."

"I know, Timmy, I know."

So your saying we should start our own tradition of throwing a dead blue bear on the ice?
You know, that would work... once.

Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

"Oh. That's stupid."

"I know, Timmy, I know."
I love traditions.
But not all traditions should stick around simply because they are traditions.
I agree, it's a colorful part of hockey history...and that's where it should be...in hockey's history.
And they are trying to stop it. It's a $500 fine if you get caught throwing anything on the ice, and you are ejected from the game. That's always been a rule, but the league is cracking down on it now, especially with the octopi in Detroit...or so they say.
This guy was caught, ejected, arrested, & fined: http://deadspin.com/5791907/if-you-thro ... nd-ejected

If you explain to someone, who has never heard of hockey, what Detroit fans do in the playoffs, it sounds epically retarded, juvenile & just plain, WTF?? Dead animals? Seriously?
Not to mention, when you chuck it on the ice, all of this octopus "stuff" gets flung everywhere...probably sprays folks as it flies over their heads. That's why that guy who goes and picks it up, isn't allowed to twirl it in the air anymore when he runs off the ice...it flings octopus juice everywhere.

The whole thing is just disturbing when you step back and think about what's going on.
And it pisses me off to no end when I see an octopus on the ice in our building when playing Detroit.

The towel guy is a dork, but whatever...he throws shirts to fans and they count off the goals as the bell gongs. As a whole, I like it.
And I don't get the hate for the bear. He's there for the kids. He's not there for me...I'm more concerned with winning a damn hockey game.
But he makes my 2 year old daughter smile, along with a lot of other kids...so he's ok in my book.

The power play dance is stupid and needs to go away...and it will. That's hardly a tradition.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

Damn, that really is sad. I was in Atlanta in November for a concert and my hotel was right near this:

Gave me the same feeling as seeing an abandoned amusement park. I feel for their fans.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

That picture makes my heart hurt. Seriously. The Thrashers were a joke, but it doesn't mean they didn't have fans.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb