Radulov To Join Predators

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Radulov To Join Predators

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:I don't think Schwartz is an apples to apples comparison. Schwartz was an amateur who turned pro after the trade deadline. Radulov has been a pro for years, but deserted the NHL for the KHL. Regardless of which NHL team owned his rights, he essentially became a KHL player when he did that. The purpose of the rule in question was to prevent players from playing in the KHL all season only to join an NHL team for a playoff run. And, that's exactly what happened.

So, the Predators found a way to add a KHL player for the playoff run without violating the black and white of the rule. Kudos to them. They got screwed before by Radulov and this somewhat makes up for it. I have no issue with them deciding to do this within the confines of the rules. But, it clearly goes against the spirit of the rule.

As I understand it, he's only a FA after the year because there was only 1 year left on his contract. What if Kovalchuk (who has 37 years left on his contract) decided to go to the KHL, but rejoin the Devils March each year? They own his rights, so it's not in violation of the rule. But, it's clearly against the spirit of it.
Kovalchuk would have to give an ass ton of money back to the Devils if he pulled that crap, and no way Lou puts up with it. As stated earlier, Nashville opened this ugly door by allowing him to come back, when they should not have done so. There are no current rules to prevent what Nashville did, so the league's hands are tied anyway. I'd expect this to change next season, though.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

theohall wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I don't think Schwartz is an apples to apples comparison. Schwartz was an amateur who turned pro after the trade deadline. Radulov has been a pro for years, but deserted the NHL for the KHL. Regardless of which NHL team owned his rights, he essentially became a KHL player when he did that. The purpose of the rule in question was to prevent players from playing in the KHL all season only to join an NHL team for a playoff run. And, that's exactly what happened.

So, the Predators found a way to add a KHL player for the playoff run without violating the black and white of the rule. Kudos to them. They got screwed before by Radulov and this somewhat makes up for it. I have no issue with them deciding to do this within the confines of the rules. But, it clearly goes against the spirit of the rule.

As I understand it, he's only a FA after the year because there was only 1 year left on his contract. What if Kovalchuk (who has 37 years left on his contract) decided to go to the KHL, but rejoin the Devils March each year? They own his rights, so it's not in violation of the rule. But, it's clearly against the spirit of it.
Kovalchuk would have to give an ass ton of money back to the Devils if he pulled that crap, and no way Lou puts up with it. As stated earlier, Nashville opened this ugly door by allowing him to come back, when they should not have done so. There are no current rules to prevent what Nashville did, so the league's hands are tied anyway. I'd expect this to change next season, though.
Well, yeah, I agree. That's my point. The league should do something to tighten up the wording of the rules to prevent it from happening again.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

The rules did change somewhat.

Immediately after Radulov and a few others violated their contracts and left, the NHL and KHL agreed to honor one another's contracts.

I'm not sure this can happen again... at least, not exactly like this.

I think if a player leaves now, mid contract, like Radulov... he would no longer be property of his NHL team. And the KHL wouldn't take him anyway.

I could be very wrong on this though, so don't take it as fact.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

If Nashville can have Radulov, we should have Tarasenko

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Tarasankos team is still in the playoffs...

...and he is 3rd in the KHL in playoff scoring...

...playing on the 4th line.

skeet skeet skeet

http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/203/

11 games, 7 goals, 3 assists

(for comparison, Radulov had 0 goals and 6 assists in 6 games)

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:Tarasankos team is still in the playoffs...

...and he is 3rd in the KHL in playoff scoring...

...playing on the 4th line.

So you're saying our savior is a fourth liner on his team in Russia....... :cup:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund