Jaden Schwartz's college season is over

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Jaden Schwartz's college season is over

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ohio BLUES wrote:I think he'll score tonight, and make Brewer look bad. (Oh please oh please oh please)
We'll be sitting pretty if he's scoring goals on off days.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Re: Jaden Schwartz's college season is over

Post by theohall »

STLADOGG wrote:If he can play like Porter, I will be very happy.
The little I have seen, he plays more like A Mac, with a little more grit.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

goon attack wrote:Does the pansy fight?
That's a borderline oxymoron.

Have you seen him? I'll be amazed if he can check anybody. Of course we have one such fellow named Sobotka who defies the odds.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I obviously hope he can pot some goals or toss around some assists but what I want to see from him most is enthusiasm. I want to see him flying out there and making his new mates fly too. They look sluggish as all hell the past couple games and need a spark to remind them that this isn't the time to be flaking out. What better way than to be pushed hard by a kid who's obviously looking to impress Hitch.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:I think he'll score tonight, and make Brewer look bad. (Oh please oh please oh please)
We'll be sitting pretty if he's scoring goals on off days.
EXACTLY.

(Oops.)
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Schwartz 2010 Scouting Report
The easiest way to sum up Jaden Schwartz is this: he produces points. Whether he is deflecting shots in front, picking corners on wrist and slap shots, or threading passes to his Tri City Storm teammates so they can finish, Schwartz possess all the offensive skills necessary to be considered a first round pick in this years draft.

Schwarz’s hockey sense and knack of having the puck follow him stand out above all else. He is able to sense the amount of time he has to pass, shoot or skate the puck and exhibits great patience when he does have time. Schwartz has soft, quick hands and is able to handle bouncing pucks or gather pucks from his feet. Schwartz also has the ability to handle the puck close to his body in tight traffic or carry the puck out in front of him as he attacks defensemen with the intent of getting around them. Schwartz can make the soft saucer pass or the crisp tape to tape pass.

Schwartz’s isn’t a great skater but he moves equally well to his right or left and also doesn’t lose speed when he has the puck. In fact, he almost looks quicker when he does have the puck. When he does have the puck, in any zone, he exudes a confidence that makes you watch him because you know he will do something good with it. You will often see him win battles on the boards against bigger stronger opposition through his skill and determination to have the puck. When Schwartz does not have the puck, he is very good at providing support and makes himself an easy outlet to receive the puck. Defensively, Schwartz is effective in playing his position, backchecks with a purpose and will even block shots when needed.

The only negative to Schwartz’s game is his size. He will need to get bigger than the listed 5’10” 180lbs since his skating is not quite strong enough to compensate. If Schwartz gets bigger and faster, he’s sure to contribute as a top 6 forward at the NHL level.

Pros: Superb offensive puck skills, reliable defensive player

Cons: Strength and high end speed
And another report from last year Mar 2011
With five points in two games this weekend for Colorado College, it’s easy to see why the Blues and their fans are excited about 18 year old Jaden Schwartz. Having attended both games at the Scottrade Center, I can personally attest that this kid is fun to watch. I wrote in a previous article about him that scouts say that the puck follows him. They’re dead on. Schwartz’s knack for putting himself in good position in both ends of the ice generally leads to rebounds and passes from his teammates landing on his tape as well as bounces off of the walls and intercepted passes from the other teams…and it looks effortless. He doesn’t have tremendous speed, (he’s no slouch either) but his ability to keep from skating in straight lines with and without the puck makes him incredibly difficult to defend either in a box or in man to man coverage in the offensive zone. His passing vision and ability are above average, and his shot accuracy and power are as well. I was particularly impressed with his release as he is able to get his wrist shot off quickly. He is also very good about following his shots and anticipating caroms as both of his goals came off of his own rebounds.

He plays a positional center, but likely due to his size does not take draws. It’s probable he will not play center at the NHL level. His size while not too much of a drawback at the NCAA level does become an issue when faced with players much bigger than he is. He will need to get stronger before he plays at the AHL or NHL level.

Overall, in the two games I saw him play, Jaden Schwartz looks to be a creative offensive threat, who, while being responsible enough in his own zone, presents a very high offensive ceiling. He does not look to be NHL ready yet, or in the immediate future, but looks well on his way to being a special prospect for the St. Louis Blues, and legitimate steal at 14th overall in the draft if he can put on some size and learn to handle physical play from much larger opponents.
More from 2010
What Scouts Say
"I don't think Jaden has changed his style of play since he was 14 or 15 years old. He's very deceptive and shifty through the neutral zone and strong on the puck. It's very hard to get the puck off his stick."
- Jack Barzee, NHL Central Scouting

"... has the potential to be a difference maker at the next level. Jaden utilizes the ice well, he knows how to create space and with his strong skating ability, creativity and quick hands he can be dangerous in the offensive zone quickly. Above average skater with good edge control that has the ability to find team-mates in traffic and fire pinpoint passes to them."
- International Scouting Services 2010 NHL Draft Guide

"Dangerous nearly every shift. Extremely smart and the puck follows him around the rink. Possesses rare ability to instantly process game situations and slices up defenses with quick, imaginative puck distribution. Sees the ice exceptionally well and threads passes on the tape even in tight spaces. Anticipates very well and causes turnovers off a persistent forecheck, generating offensive chances. Shifty puckhandler who worms his way into soft spots in coverage. Determined; works hard along the walls and comes out on top in most of his 50/50 battles. Size is the only deficiency, but he's stocky and tenaciously competitive."
- Red Line Report 2010 Draft Guide

"There's a dynamic little guy right there. He has all kinds of skill and speed and there's nothing missing from his game other than height. He's fun to watch."
- A scout, quoted in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010
And one more - won't like the site, because it has issues...
NHL Potential: Scoring Forward

Strengths:

Tremendous hockey IQ
Great hockey vision
Playmaking skills; very accurate passer
Creative puckhandler
Great decision maker
Deceptive, elusive and quick skating ability
Compact and stocky build
Tough to knock of the puck
Fearless determination
Very effective on PP
Used in PK role as well
Good character off the ice; well liked by teammates
Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

Continue to train to increase strength and mass.
Improve skating, quickness and acceleration even more so which will be exponentially key to him to make up for size issue.
A few comments:

1) several keep commenting on his size. The question only one asked - how big were Joe Sakic and Scott Gomez when they were drafted? Not saying Schwartz will grow to their size, but who knows?
2) Needs to work on skating, yet has deceptive skating ability?? With the puck he skates faster than without - which is the point on which most agree, so he needs to work on skating speed without the puck. However, this might be why he is so effective forechecking - by not skating full speed without he puck, reading the play, and taking the appropriate action.
3) Where he is AMac like - getting the puck to other guys on their tape in creative ways. The get around/passed the D into the zone, then make the right pass to set up the scoring chance.
4) He also has played everything, everywhere - PK, PP and top line center - which should allow him to fit right into the Blues system of using everyone for everything, since Hitch took over. Who would have thought we would see Perron killing penalties prior to Hitch's arrival?

Looking forward to seeing him play tonight and hopefully not as a just a 4th line grinder or in a limited role.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

I just want to see him being smart with the puck and getting back on defense.
Some quality passes would be nice and quick shots

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'll most likely miss the beginning of the game, first period or possibly even the first two periods. Hopefully when I get home I can see it being reported than he's made some kind of positive difference.

CincyBlue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CincyBlue »

My wife thinks I'm crazy that I've scheduled my day around being able to catch the game tonight. Hoping he has a good amount of playing time and contributes to a win. Could be a needed spark right now.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

CincyBlue wrote:My wife thinks I'm crazy that I've scheduled my day around being able to catch the game tonight. Hoping he has a good amount of playing time and contributes to a win. Could be a needed spark right now.
I'm doing the same thing. Girls are just weird, man. They don't understand.

CincyBlue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CincyBlue »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
CincyBlue wrote:My wife thinks I'm crazy that I've scheduled my day around being able to catch the game tonight. Hoping he has a good amount of playing time and contributes to a win. Could be a needed spark right now.
I'm doing the same thing. Girls are just weird, man. They don't understand.
One of her friends stopped by and they took off. Girls' night out and I'm left alone to watch the game. Could be worse.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

APOD wrote:I bet first NHL point in 2 games first goal in at least 4. If he can follow the rules and learn that this is the NHL not the NFL it gets harder here when you leave college not the easier, then he will do fine. I'm excited to see him perform we need more goal scoring.

I called it, first point and goal in his........FIRST GAME!!!
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

APOD wrote:
APOD wrote:I bet first NHL point in 2 games first goal in at least 4. If he can follow the rules and learn that this is the NHL not the NFL it gets harder here when you leave college not the easier, then he will do fine. I'm excited to see him perform we need more goal scoring.

I called it, first point and goal in his........FIRST GAME!!!
Nope, you called first point in 2 games, first goal in 4. You never said anything about first goal in the first game.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

^^^^^
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock