Jaden Schwartz's college season is over

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Jaden Schwartz's college season is over

Post by glen a richter »

the tsn website article says in the headline that Schwartz will make his NHL debut on Tuesday. I think that's highly misleading, pretty sure they mean only that he'll join the team on Tuesday. I'd be absolutely stunned to see him dressed and on the ice that soon.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

They are being really weird about the whole thing. The Blues facebook page is blowing up with posts about him; that he'll wear #9, etc.

It sure sounds like he's playing, which I think is a bit crazy.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

They didn't burn his first contract year to have him sit in the box, ladies. Dude is straight up playin YO.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Oh..and let the Jaden Schwartz area begin!!!!
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Get that fool Tarasenko over here now!

Join the par'tay!
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... f6878.html
Top pick Schwartz to join Blues in Chicago

DAN O'NEILL | Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 2:17 pm

CHICAGO - With 12 games remaining on the schedule, the Blues were in first place in the NHL by four points when they woke up in Chicago on Monday. There was a four-point cushion between them and the New York Rangers atop the league standings, five points between the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Conference.
And the Blues now have something else going for them as postseason beckons - may the Schwartz be with them.
The team finalized a thee-year entry level contract with Colorado College sophomore Jaden Schwartz on Monday, adding the 19-year old to the parent roster. Schwartz, the Blues' No. 1 pick in the 2010 NHL draft and 14th selection overall, will join the team in Chicago tonight and will be available on Tuesday against the Blackhawks.
Blues general manager Doug Armstrong made it clear Schwartz' status as a player ultimately rests with coach Ken Hitchcock.
“Ken knows hockey, does his research,” Armstrong said. "He will make those decisions.”
To that end, Hitchcock is well aware of Schwartz and what he has to offer. One has to ssume the Blues would not spend a contract year off their prospect's NHL clock unless they felt he would get playing time.
“He's going to spend the rest of the year with us,” Armstrong added. “The way the rules written, if he signs an NHL deal this year, he can't go to the minors. So he's signing to be available for our roster for the the rest of the season.”
“Our options were three: No 1, he was going to stay in college and he decided he doesn't want to do that. No. 2, sign him and put him in Peoria and start the three-year clock ticking next year. Or No. 3, make him available for our team this year.
“After talking to our scouting staff and Dave Taylor in particular, who has seen him play two of last three weekends. And in looking at our roster now, and our injuries now, we thought it was worth getting him under contract to play for our team this year.”
Colorado College's season came to a crashing halt on Saturday when the Tigers were upset by Michigan Tech in the WCHA playoffs. A left winger, Schwartz had 15 goals and 41 points in 30 games for Colorado College.
Perhaps more impressive, Schwartz was selected to Team Canada for the 2012 World Junior Championships in Edmonton and Calgary. He was named the team captain, a rare honor for a college sophomore playing hockey in the United States.
Against Russia in the semifinal, Schwartz had a goal and was named Canada's Player of the Game in a 6–5 loss. He finished the tournament with two goals and three assists in six games as Canada won the bronze medal.
"He provides us with some depth in a skill area," Armstrong said. "He's a player that I think - as much as we can benefit from having him here - he can benefit from being here as he progresses over his NHL career full force."
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Sure sounds like he is playing. :shock: 8)
ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced Monday the club has signed their first overall draft pick in 2010, Jaden Schwartz, to an entry level contract.

Schwartz will join the Blues in Chicago and will wear No. 9.

“Jaden had an excellent college career and we are excited that he is ready to make the jump to the NHL,” said Armstrong. “He will add depth to the skill level on our team and give us some options as we begin this stretch drive.”

“It’s been a dream of mine to play in the NHL and I’m excited to be able to do it as a St. Louis Blue,” said Schwartz. “The Blues are having a terrific season and I will do whatever they need me to do just to help out.”

Schwartz, 19, is currently in his sophomore season at Colorado College leading the Tigers with 41 points including 15 goals and 26 assists in 30 games.

During his freshman year, the 5’10, 193-pound forward posted 47 points (17 goals, 30 assists) in 30 games leading the nation in freshman scoring average with 1.56 points per game.

The Wilcox, Saskatchewan native was originally drafted by the Blues in the first round, 14th overall, of the 2010 Entry Draft.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

So is he ineligible for the playoffs since he signed after the trade deadline?
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

According to the article, and other things I've read (stlouisblues.com is also reporting on this), we're using a year of his 3 year contract this season.

I don't like it. Yea we have SOME injuries but Andy Mac is back, Arnott is back, Langenbrunner is back... who exactly is management "counting on" getting hurt? We're pretty deep at forward, I'm just not understanding the need for this kind of a price tag for what essentially amounts to an insurance policy, especially if we end up having cap issues in two seasons' time because our young guns finally are turning their proverbial corners. :?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

You know, the with the upcoming CBA negotiations, none of these finer points are going to matter anyway, because everything will be completely overhauled.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I like that he's playing for a couple reasons:

-Hawks are terrible defensively. I'd rather him get a shot against a bad defensive team than somebody like . . . well, us.

-Not that it will really matter, but how good will it be for him in terms of fan support if he does something good against Chicago. I doubt this is really a factor in him playing, but still nice.

But, yeah, if he's going to be up here, I think he should get playing time.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

This probably means Alex Steen's season is over. It's the only reason I can think of to have Schwartz play now, instead of starting him out in Peoria. When Schwartz starts playing, if his talent level measures up to NHL calibre, the Blues could be rolling 3 good scoring lines.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Army not ruling out Schwartz playing this Tuesday :shock:
@jprutherford Any idea when he could play? Assume Tuesday too soon.” ... Could be Tues. Armstrong says Hitchcock will decide

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

I'm surprised they'll want to play him, but if this is the 1st year of the contract...the kid is playing.

Hitchcock also said depth is key for a playoff run. With the scoring just now coming on, I believe they'll look to Schwartz to add a little more scoring depth. Plus, Steen is such a question mark, it makes sense.

I assume he can play in the playoffs. Anyone know?

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think playing him this season is ridiculous, but if they're losing a contract year anyway, may as well make it mean something. Just seems kind of insane is all to burn a contract year when the team is rolling along just fine as is... Then again, that's why I'm not Hitch, Army or JD, and watch Jaden scores the cup clinching goal.

More power to him, welcome to the fold Schwartz. :goblues:
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

We've been hearing nuggets that this would be the case for over a month, I'm not sure why so many are surprised.

My best guess is they had to agree to bring him up to the big club in order to get him to make the jump this year.

I'm sure it will be the same situation with Tank this offseason.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

He can't wear #9!!!! That's Paulies old number noooooooo!!!!! lol
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I bet first NHL point in 2 games first goal in at least 4. If he can follow the rules and learn that this is the NHL not the NFL it gets harder here when you leave college not the easier, then he will do fine. I'm excited to see him perform we need more goal scoring.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Looks like he will play Tuesday....since Strickland is reporting he wont.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not crazy about him losing a year for just a few games, but it tells me 3 things:

1. They are convinced he is NHL ready today.

2. They anticipate him playing in the playoffs.

3. They think he could be enough of a difference maker down the stretch that it's worth losing a year.

I know the CBA is up, but often times, things get grandfathered in.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen