Bishop to Senators?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Bishop to Senators?

Post by glen a richter »

From 23Sens23 on the Senators message board:

"not to mention BM completely fleeced the blues on this one. bishop is viewed by some as being better then elliott and halak but due to the blues current situation and bishop becoming a ufa this summer they had to move him and BM saw this and took advantage of the blues GM who was in a position of weakness"

Really?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

lol.. I do hope Bishop turns out good, but.. 2.2 and .928 in the AHL isn't something you generally write home about.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Two... not one, but TWO idiots on the TSN site (both Maple Leaf fans, presumably) were arguing that Toronto would easily be able to pry Halak in exchange for a mishmash of trash. Just because Army shipped off #3 on the depth chart doesn't mean he's a (Franking) moron who's about to start selling off assets while we're sitting in the top 5 in the league. Holy shit almighty, I mean honestly... are Leafs fans truly that obtuse?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:I think that is AWESOME that Army swindled a second rounder for him. I thought a third would be top end.
This.

It's easy to overvalue Bishop as a Blues fan (though the Sens fan above REALLY overvalued him), but he's in his mid-20's and still hasn't got an extended run here in St. Lou. I'm sad to see him go, but I'm also happy to see him get his shot. I wish him success with the Sens. It wasn't going to work keeping him in the AHL and he was also blocked by Halak and Elliott. Peoria is now in Jake Allen's hands, which is fine by me and a 2nd round pick is a fair return for Bishop.

And it is for sure better to get something in return as opposed to him walking as a UFA on July 1.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Good, now he's gone. Tired of hearing about this dude.
Blues have amazing, YOUNG goaltending already.
Tarasenko was a 2nd round pick....
Lets hope Army can draft well again.
That is what good teams do. They draft well each and every year. Maybe the Blues can be one of those teams.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Tarasenko was a 2nd round pick....
Tarasenko was the 16th overall pick.

But I get your point. For reference, David Backes was a 2nd round pick.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

oh shit, why did I think he was a 2nd?
oh well, you did well enough with Backes. :lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This is relevant long term... can Jake Allen take what is obviously a vote of confidence and turn it into success at Peoria where he can develop and be ready to take over an NHL job in a few seasons? Are his shortcomings this season the result of Peoria just not being very good, where Cade Fairchild is technically the best player on the team and everyone else is, at least in terms of +/- light years behind?

I trust in Allen, curious who becomes his backup. Somehow I doubt we've seen the last of Bishop in the Blues organization though the next time we do see him in the organization it could be after his playing career is ended. It would just go figure that this team sucks at developing goalies, they trade Bishop and then he ends up taking Ottawa deep/to the cup and we return to our previously scheduled 1st/2nd round exits.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I'm probably in the minority by saying this, but I wouldn't have let Bishop go until after the end of the season. We've already had to call him up when Jaro was out with the flu. All it's going to take, God Forbid, is for Ells or Halak to get hurt and the other to get peppered in the playoffs. Who do we got NHL ready to put between the pipes in the playoffs if this happens? Allen?

I'd have dealt him at the end of the season and we'd still would have gotten a pick from someone. I wouldn't have moved him now unless it was in a package and we got something tangible to help make a push. I feel like we made a play for the future in any event, but we're trying to win the Cup now, so this isn't going to help with that.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:I'm probably in the minority by saying this, but I wouldn't have let Bishop go until after the end of the season. We've already had to call him up when Jaro was out with the flu. All it's going to take, God Forbid, is for Ells or Halak to get hurt and the other to get peppered in the playoffs. Who do we got NHL ready to put between the pipes in the playoffs if this happens? Allen?

I'd have dealt him at the end of the season and we'd still would have gotten a pick from someone. I wouldn't have moved him now unless it was in a package and we got something tangible to help make a push. I feel like we made a play for the future in any event, but we're trying to win the Cup now, so this isn't going to help with that.
I don't really think that was an option. As Blues fans, we're pretty numb to playoff letdowns, so the worst that could happen is we get swept out in the first round again. Meanwhile, also losing Bishop for either nothing or a worse pick. Best of luck to Big Ben, this was the only real option. I don't think we're exactly making a push for the cup this season.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

The 2nd rounder could be easier to trade than Bishop was. We could just start flippin draft picks for pieces. But consider, Jake Allen is now our workhorse in Peoria.

We need a premier top line scoring two-way player, veteran D-man, and now a 3rd goalie in street clothes (not Jake Allen). And, all for less than league minimum... :doh:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:oh shit, why did I think he was a 2nd?
oh well, you did well enough with Backes. :lol:
probably because he was our 2nd pick of that draft. We took Jaden Schwartz 14th.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

the important thing is he's not on a western conference team. He can experience his success with Ottawa, get a shot and very rarely be in a position to burn the Blues. If they'd traded him to Detoilet or Chicago or Nashville, I'd be epically pissed.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

How funny. Of all the years of revolving goalies and goalie prospects being hyped. Now the blues have to trade one of their best prospects because they are stacked on the big club.

Watch...Elliott will blow a knee and Halak will have some sort of mental breakdown while Bishop becomes the next Brodeur. Yep, that sounds about right.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

northwest dave wrote:How funny. Of all the years of revolving goalies and goalie prospects being hyped. Now the blues have to trade one of their best prospects because they are stacked on the big club.

Watch...Elliott will blow a knee and Halak will have some sort of mental breakdown while Bishop becomes the next Brodeur. Yep, that sounds about right.
There's still Jordan Binnington

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yeah, trading him in the division would have been incredibly retarded.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=619088
Yeah, I mean obviously my dream ever since I was a kid and especially after I got drafted was to win a Stanley Cup in St. Louis," said Bishop, who was born in Denver but has lived in St. Louis the majority of his life. "I've always wanted to do that. I've always wanted to be in St. Louis, my heart has always been and probably will be in St. Louis. But it's part of the business and you've got to go where the opportunities are.
Good luck Big Ben.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

STLADOGG wrote:http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=619088
Yeah, I mean obviously my dream ever since I was a kid and especially after I got drafted was to win a Stanley Cup in St. Louis," said Bishop, who was born in Denver but has lived in St. Louis the majority of his life. "I've always wanted to do that. I've always wanted to be in St. Louis, my heart has always been and probably will be in St. Louis. But it's part of the business and you've got to go where the opportunities are.
Good luck Big Ben.
He'll be back in some capacity, somehow, someday. Kind of like JD came back.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

That's a damn good return for him I think. It's too bad he never got a shot here, but ultimately this is the kind of problem you want your team to have.

A 2nd in 2013 is really not going to have any impact for a long time though.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

kodos wrote:That's a damn good return for him I think. It's too bad he never got a shot here, but ultimately this is the kind of problem you want your team to have.

A 2nd in 2013 is really not going to have any impact for a long time though.
Maybe they'll tank next season and it'll be the 31st overall pick.