GDT #58: 2/18/12 > Blues vs. Wild > 1:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #58: 2/18/12 > Blues vs. Wild > 1:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by cardsfan04 »

Here's why ESPN sucks at hockey. This is their coverage of the cross check on Backes:
News: Peters was ejected from Saturday's game after deliberately cross checking the Blues' David Perron in the side of the head. He will likely face suspension. (Sat Feb 18)

Spin: He received a five for the cross check and a game misconduct. He hit Backes, who had supposedly taken a few runs at Wild players, directly across the right earhole of the helmet, snapping Backes' head and neck to the side before the Blues' winger dropped to the ice. Backes was playing in his 33rd game after missing almost a hundred games to post-concussion syndrome. Peters is a marginal NHLer any way and should receive a much-deserved suspension ... and a likely return to the AHL.
WTG guys. And w/e at Backes "taking runs" at Wild players. I know exactly what they're talking about, but they were all very legal, solid hits.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Apparently Clutterbuck yelled to McDonald on the bench "I hope you get another concussion." I think that's over the line of even what's acceptable for on-ice talk.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Here's why ESPN sucks at hockey. This is their coverage of the cross check on Backes:
News: Peters was ejected from Saturday's game after deliberately cross checking the Blues' David Perron in the side of the head. He will likely face suspension. (Sat Feb 18)

Spin: He received a five for the cross check and a game misconduct. He hit Backes, who had supposedly taken a few runs at Wild players, directly across the right earhole of the helmet, snapping Backes' head and neck to the side before the Blues' winger dropped to the ice. Backes was playing in his 33rd game after missing almost a hundred games to post-concussion syndrome. Peters is a marginal NHLer any way and should receive a much-deserved suspension ... and a likely return to the AHL.
WTG guys. And w/e at Backes "taking runs" at Wild players. I know exactly what they're talking about, but they were all very legal, solid hits.
Uhh, if they are referring to the hit by Backes in front of the Wild bench just a few seconds before the cross check, that guy blew a tire. Backes didn't even hardly do anything to him, it was mostly self-inflicted and looked worse than it was.

You know what though, I wouldn't be surprised if Backes somehow ends up with a suspension/fine for it.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

I was at the game, what a awful preformance by the Wild. They weren't in the game at any time.

Also, right after I got there some group of idiots were sitting in seats they didn't own so they got kicked out and got up during the middle of play, and the last moron spilled my beer, picked it up off the floor, put it back in my cup holder and just kept walking without looking back or saying anything while I was trying to get his attention. I mean, seriously? At least say something. Oh well, got a free one after that.

Also, Reaves came out after the Backes incedent and was talkig to Wild players but I don't think anyone wanted to fight him. Too bad, I wanted to see him kick some ass. Solid win, I just hope Backes is ok.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Apparently Clutterbuck yelled to McDonald on the bench "I hope you get another concussion." I think that's over the line of even what's acceptable for on-ice talk.
Clutterbuck is a piece of crap and I'm a little bit unhappy with the Blues for letting him leave the arena under his own power after watching him try to injure Pietrangelo AND Elliott while also being a complete dick the rest of the game. That can't happen. The guy was asking to get his ass kicked the whole game and nobody did anything.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 919&spln=1

Couldn't find much else but this says Backes should be good to go. :letsgoblues:

Gaijin Flyer
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Gaijin Flyer »

Kelly Chase took note after the game that the Blues don't play the Wild anymore this year. He said that they knew that and their chippy play was cowardly.

I think the Oct/Nov 2012 game against them will be quite interesting.

Maybe they can be here on opening night when we show off the :cup:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Nobody wanted to fight Reaves? Um, that's when you drop the gloves and pummel the shit out of somebody anyway.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

goon attack wrote:Nobody wanted to fight Reaves? Um, that's when you drop the gloves and pummel the shit out of somebody anyway.
That's really what I was hoping for. Should have done it to that asshole who spilled my beer!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

thedoc wrote:Me and DaDitka at the game today. Elliott in the pipes.

I see Big Mac's and a shut out in the near future.
Dude....you nailed it.

Sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you guys. Hopefully at a future game.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Here's why ESPN sucks at hockey. This is their coverage of the cross check on Backes:

Uhh, if they are referring to the hit by Backes in front of the Wild bench just a few seconds before the cross check, that guy blew a tire. Backes didn't even hardly do anything to him, it was mostly self-inflicted and looked worse than it was.

You know what though, I wouldn't be surprised if Backes somehow ends up with a suspension/fine for it.
I'm surprised no one took offense to the fact that Backes "was playing in his 33rd game after missing almost a hundred games to post-concussion syndrome."

That's even more egregious than their comment on him 'taking runs' and such. Give me a friggin' break, ESPN.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

I'm surprised no one took offense to the fact that Backes "was playing in his 33rd game after missing almost a hundred games to post-concussion syndrome."

That's even more egregious than their comment on him 'taking runs' and such. Give me a friggin' break, ESPN.
I don't know if you guys are purposely getting Backes and Perron mixed up here, but its giving me a headache.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

philco_3 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

Please don't blame us. Blame ESPN who wrote that idiotic article. It shows how little attention their "sports" network gives to hockey if it is not the Ranger, Bruins, or Flyers.

I don't know if you guys are purposely getting Backes and Perron mixed up here, but its giving me a headache.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

Please don't blame us. Blame ESPN who wrote that idiotic article. It shows how little attention their "sports" network gives to hockey if it is not the Ranger, Bruins, or Flyers.

In Cardsfan's original post, he quoted an ESPN article. They were the one's that started mixing Backes and Perron up. That's what I was commenting on at least.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Gotcha
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Them mixing up Perron and Backes was why I posted it. Annoyed me that a major sports network couldn't even fact check something so simple.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wow, Peters only got 1 game for intentionally hitting our captain in the head with his stick well after a whistle had blown. Cole's hit on Abdelkader was clearly much worse than this.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

:facepalm:

Only logical conclusion: Backes does not play for Detroit.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Why even bother with giving a 1 game suspension? Talk about lame.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

This isn't about the suspension, but I thought it should be noted. Vlady Sobotka played his balls off yesterday.