Ovechkin boycotts All-Star Game

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I love it. Absolutely love it. I personally feel the NHL and Shanahan are getting carried away with the suspensions thing (or lack thereof in regards to the winged wheel dbags), and no better way to send a message then the other face of the NHL throwing a big middle finger out there for their already ratings-lacking All-Star Weekend. Awesome.
ARLINGTON, Va. -- Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin will not be in Ottawa for the 2012 Tim Hortons NHL All-Star Game.

Ovechkin decided to remove himself from the event Tuesday, citing that he will be in the middle of a three-game suspension.

"My heart is not there. I am suspended, so why I have to go there?" Ovechkin said. "I love the game. It is a great event. I love to be there. I am suspended. I don't want to be a target. I feel like I'm not deserving to be there right now because I am suspended."
There's some tongue-in-cheek in that. There has to be.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613450
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Ovechkin boycotts All-Star Game

Post by goon attack »

I'm with this commie douche. What he did should in no way warrant a suspension. This league is quickly getting really franking lame regarding hits.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Jeffrey99
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Jeffrey99 »

goon attack wrote:I'm with this commie douche. What he did should in no way warrant a suspension. This league is quickly getting really franking lame regarding hits.
Not really sure how you can say that, if it was Ovi's first time doing something like that, I'd probably agree. However it's not his first suspension. It's clearly a charging penalty and since he jumped into him, he also made contact with the head. I honestly think Ovi should have been suspended 5 games, give these guys a stiffer penalty and they will learn.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I love it.

This is the players game and they need to take it back.

Shanny is out of control IMO.

Even if he was right in suspending Ovechkin (I guess that's a matter of opinion), I'm looking at the big picture.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I have mixed feelings.

I don't mind that he got suspended. Left his feet, made contact with head, repeat offender, etc.

I also think that Shanahan lacks consistency in his suspensions. But, this kind of comes across as Ovechkin saying "It's MY ball and I'm going home."

meh, it is what it is I guess.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

I thought by the NHL's definition of "repeat offender" he isn't. Wasn't his last suspension over 18 months ago? I though I read that was considered "repeat offender" time frame? Not sure though, could be making that up.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Roger Goodell should stay out of the NHL. I think this is the best response Ovie could have. This might make the NHL re-evaluate how suspending players should be conducted or if it is even warranted in certain situations.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Meh. He's too much of a clown during the skills competition anyway.
Yes, it's all in fun...but he borderline makes a mockery out of it.
Kind of embarrassing really. I think, he thinks he is funnier than he is.

Chalk this one up as a big fat, "I couldn't care less." from me.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

I know the suspensions piss us off sometimes - but folks, these concussions are getting scary.

How many good players are going down every week with a concussion or concussion-like syndromes? How many more are trying to keep it secret?

The NHL has to do something about guys that are going up high when they hit, especially guys that leave their feet. We all love seeing guys get drilled...until they go off for 3 months or never come back right again.

I think Shanahan has a thankless job here. The NHL's options for curtailing these head injuries are pretty limited and he's certainly not going to be popular for trying to create an atmosphere where general deterrence makes people think twice before going high.

Remember - it's not the suspension that matters here, but the threat it presents to guys that may otherwise play a little closer to borderline.

The instigator penalty needs to go. And if anything Shanahan and his minions need to be more vigilant in policing these hits if they hope to have any legitimate impact.

I understand and respect what Ovi's doing. He feels wronged and this is a brilliant way to express that. At the same time, I don't think Shanahan's doing anything wrong here either. One way or the other, we have got to figure out a way to stop losing players to concussions; it's really gonna (Frank) this league up if we don't.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oz-iz-God wrote:I know the suspensions piss us off sometimes - but folks, these concussions are getting scary.

How many good players are going down every week with a concussion or concussion-like syndromes? How many more are trying to keep it secret?

The NHL has to do something about guys that are going up high when they hit, especially guys that leave their feet. We all love seeing guys get drilled...until they go off for 3 months or never come back right again.

I think Shanahan has a thankless job here. The NHL's options for curtailing these head injuries are pretty limited and he's certainly not going to be popular for trying to create an atmosphere where general deterrence makes people think twice before going high.

Remember - it's not the suspension that matters here, but the threat it presents to guys that may otherwise play a little closer to borderline.

The instigator penalty needs to go. And if anything Shanahan and his minions need to be more vigilant in policing these hits if they hope to have any legitimate impact.

I understand and respect what Ovi's doing. He feels wronged and this is a brilliant way to express that. At the same time, I don't think Shanahan's doing anything wrong here either. One way or the other, we have got to figure out a way to stop losing players to concussions; it's really gonna (Frank) this league up if we don't.
I agree with you to a point. But, I think where Shanny goes wrong is not being consistent. I know there's going to be a level of inconsistency involved regardless of who has his job. But, there is an appearance of inequality in doling out punishments.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

All I know is that every single freaking game there are about 3 hits that people question. The same discussion takes place on whether that person should be suspended or not. And then the tireless comparison of other hits that did or didn't warrant suspensions.

Shanahan is too inconsistent and the rules are too fuzzy. The players have to relearn things they've been taught since age 5. Perfect example is what Stewart did after Petro got hit. Now you can't even drop the gloves because of a borderline hit without being punished.

Ugh.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

northwest dave wrote:All I know is that every single freaking game there are about 3 hits that people question. The same discussion takes place on whether that person should be suspended or not. And then the tireless comparison of other hits that did or didn't warrant suspensions.

Shanahan is too inconsistent and the rules are too fuzzy. The players have to relearn things they've been taught since age 5. Perfect example is what Stewart did after Petro got hit. Now you can't even drop the gloves because of a borderline hit without being punished.

Ugh.
If stewart waits a shift he prolly doesn't get that penalty, btw. And it should have been Reeves that did it so Stewart, who is alleged to be a scorer, doesn't miss a period.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
northwest dave wrote:All I know is that every single freaking game there are about 3 hits that people question. The same discussion takes place on whether that person should be suspended or not. And then the tireless comparison of other hits that did or didn't warrant suspensions.

Ugh.
If stewart waits a shift he prolly doesn't get that penalty, btw. And it should have been Reeves that did it so Stewart, who is alleged to be a scorer, doesn't miss a period.
Why wait a shift? It should be taken care of as it happens. I know the rules, part of the problem.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

Ugh.
Why wait a shift? It should be taken care of as it happens. I know the rules, part of the problem.
While I don't disagree with you, Stew SHOULD have more important things to do than "send a message" to ass packing panzies like the redwings at that exact moment... IDK, score some f ing goals first?

Regardless of the rules, it was a stupid, stupid penalty for him to take.

Fact: REvenge is best served cold.

Oz-iz-God
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Oz-iz-God »

northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

Ugh.
But again - that can be resolved via the elimination of the instigator rule. At that point, Stewart goes over there and takes his shots, if Stuart turtles then the Wings get the PP, but at least Stewart gets to beat some as first.

Then again, I'm inclined to agree that it isn't really stewart's role to go start a fight. He could have easily skated up and started jawing, then let Reeves finish the job a shift later - message sent, IMO. Simply put - the Blues aren't good enough goal-scorers to leave themselves shorthanded like that if they could've defended their teammate in a smarter way.

As to the true problem - Shanahan's inconsistency - like I said, if anything he should be more vigilant w/ these hits. Perhaps less heavy handed (3 games is a pretty long time w/ playoff races being this close), but more willing to dole them out. I'd have no problem if he started giving out 1-gamers like candy when guys get hit in the head. Then ramping them up a bit as repeat offenders start to surface.

But it's not as easy as we want it to be. The NHL has to do something and I think Shanahan and co. are doing what they legitimately feel is right in order to address this issue. I'm certain the NHL doesn't help itself by suspending Ovi, but maybe they'll keep someone from getting hit high next month on account of it.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

It could always be worse, I could be a Cubs fan. (But please, if you could spare me the parallels between the respective organizations, I'd really appreciate it).

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Oz-iz-God wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

Ugh.
But again - that can be resolved via the elimination of the instigator rule. At that point, Stewart goes over there and takes his shots, if Stuart turtles then the Wings get the PP, but at least Stewart gets to beat some as first.

Then again, I'm inclined to agree that it isn't really stewart's role to go start a fight. He could have easily skated up and started jawing, then let Reeves finish the job a shift later - message sent, IMO. Simply put - the Blues aren't good enough goal-scorers to leave themselves shorthanded like that if they could've defended their teammate in a smarter way.

As to the true problem - Shanahan's inconsistency - like I said, if anything he should be more vigilant w/ these hits. Perhaps less heavy handed (3 games is a pretty long time w/ playoff races being this close), but more willing to dole them out. I'd have no problem if he started giving out 1-gamers like candy when guys get hit in the head. Then ramping them up a bit as repeat offenders start to surface.

But it's not as easy as we want it to be. The NHL has to do something and I think Shanahan and co. are doing what they legitimately feel is right in order to address this issue. I'm certain the NHL doesn't help itself by suspending Ovi, but maybe they'll keep someone from getting hit high next month on account of it.
Reeves wasn't in the lineup. I'm a little more old school. I like it when players take care of business and can do other things than just fight. This whole 'goon' thing is what started lots of these problems today. We're all ok with the stupid goon vs. goon fight that doesn't mean anything, but the NHL doesn't like the real fighting when a player takes care of business. They should just eliminate fighting if that's the case.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote: I agree with you to a point. But, I think where Shanny goes wrong is not being consistent. I know there's going to be a level of inconsistency involved regardless of who has his job. But, there is an appearance of inequality in doling out punishments.

Holy Sh*t! I agree with Cardsfan :facepalm:

:okman:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I agree with you to a point. But, I think where Shanny goes wrong is not being consistent. I know there's going to be a level of inconsistency involved regardless of who has his job. But, there is an appearance of inequality in doling out punishments.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

DaDitka wrote:

That's why Shanahan should be eliminated from his position. He has relationships and a past that can't be ignored. It might not influence him, but it gives the appearance that it does and causes more issues.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Oz-iz-God wrote:Then again, I'm inclined to agree that it isn't really stewart's role to go start a fight. He could have easily skated up and started jawing, then let Reeves finish the job a shift later - message sent, IMO. Simply put - the Blues aren't good enough goal-scorers to leave themselves shorthanded like that if they could've defended their teammate in a smarter way.
THIS

From the wings perspective, a guy who is supposed to be scoring 30 for the Blues this year missed virtually an entire period of a 0-0 (at the time) hockey game. This is total win for them - even if they didn't score on the powerplay.

The wings were so happy with the result that they did the exact same thing again in the third period when Cola took an fing silly penalty after Petro was jobbed in the corner.

Guess what the pens did last night? Ran Petro to agitate the Blues into dumb penalties.

I am all for kicking someone's ass in this case, but who does the ass kicking and when impacts our scoreboard success, which is ultimately the most important part of the game.