Ovechkin boycotts All-Star Game

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Ovechkin boycotts All-Star Game

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I agree with you to a point. But, I think where Shanny goes wrong is not being consistent. I know there's going to be a level of inconsistency involved regardless of who has his job. But, there is an appearance of inequality in doling out punishments.

Holy Sh*t! I agree with Cardsfan :facepalm:

:okman:
That means you're getting smarter. There's hope for you yet!!!
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I have absolutely zero problem with Stewart on Stuart violence. It needed to be done, so he did it. If nothing was done, people would be upset similar to how people were upset that Perron wasn't avenged.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote: I agree with you to a point. But, I think where Shanny goes wrong is not being consistent. I know there's going to be a level of inconsistency involved regardless of who has his job. But, there is an appearance of inequality in doling out punishments.

Holy Sh*t! I agree with Cardsfan :facepalm:

:okman:
That means you're getting smarter. There's hope for you yet!!!
Or more likely that you did not properly convey your actual thoughts. Thus it actually came across as a coherent intelligent post.

You may want to be careful of setting expectations that high. :okman:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:I have absolutely zero problem with Stewart on Stuart violence. It needed to be done, so he did it. If nothing was done, people would be upset similar to how people were upset that Perron wasn't avenged.

Damn it! You did it twice in one thread.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I have absolutely zero problem with Stewart on Stuart violence. It needed to be done, so he did it. If nothing was done, people would be upset similar to how people were upset that Perron wasn't avenged.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn twice in a while. :bluecool:

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

cardsfan04 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

So if it's Stuart on Stewart violence, is that considered a hate crime?

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

thedoc wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

So if it's Stuart on Stewart violence, is that considered a hate crime?
Yes. It's a crime for a Red Wing to attack a Blue and I hate the Red Wings. Therefore, it is a hate crime.

:detsucks:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Jeffrey99 wrote:
goon attack wrote:I'm with this commie douche. What he did should in no way warrant a suspension. This league is quickly getting really franking lame regarding hits.
Not really sure how you can say that, if it was Ovi's first time doing something like that, I'd probably agree. However it's not his first suspension. It's clearly a charging penalty and since he jumped into him, he also made contact with the head. I honestly think Ovi should have been suspended 5 games, give these guys a stiffer penalty and they will learn.
Learn what? How to be pansies? If someone would kick his freakin' ass on the ice when he did that, he'd stop doing it.

a. I don't think it should even be a penalty
b. let the players police themselves.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Word.

Stewie taking a penalty there had nothing to do with us losing that game. We lost the game because they scored more goals than us.

I fully support what Stewie did and I bet you any amount of money, so does Hitch. He may not say it publicly, but trust me on this.

What's funny about it is that is wasn't even that hardcore of a hit. A wing hits anyone and it seems like a big deal. Pie wasn't affected in any way by that hit.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

A+. A redwing would not have been suspended for the same exact play. They've done worse against the blues alone this year and have gotten zero discipline. Ovie has the power to draw attention to the issue, and is doing so. I would bet that his absence, what with Crosby already out, will not be good for the ratings.

Ohbaby
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Ohbaby »

He was more affected by the hit McClement laid on him last year.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:
Jeffrey99 wrote:
goon attack wrote:I'm with this commie douche. What he did should in no way warrant a suspension. This league is quickly getting really franking lame regarding hits.
Not really sure how you can say that, if it was Ovi's first time doing something like that, I'd probably agree. However it's not his first suspension. It's clearly a charging penalty and since he jumped into him, he also made contact with the head. I honestly think Ovi should have been suspended 5 games, give these guys a stiffer penalty and they will learn.
Learn what? How to be pansies? If someone would kick his freakin' ass on the ice when he did that, he'd stop doing it.

a. I don't think it should even be a penalty
b. let the players police themselves.
You can't leave your feet on a check like that and target a guy's head...especially against the glass. Way too many serious head injuries right now to allow those kinds of hits.
I love the rough stuff as much as anyone, but that's dirty.
Stay on your feet and hit clean and I don't have a problem with you destroying someone.

As far as the boycott...I really don't care. Some players sit out all-star games in all sports for all kinds of reasons. Whatever. It's not like the game means anything.

No Ovechkin...No Crosby...oh no!! How will the NHL market this event?!?!?!? :roll:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

drwoland wrote:A+. A redwing would not have been suspended for the same exact play. They've done worse against the blues alone this year and have gotten zero discipline. Ovie has the power to draw attention to the issue, and is doing so. I would bet that his absence, what with Crosby already out, will not be good for the ratings.
You see, how it works is if you are a repeat offender, the likelihood you will be suspended or fined for a questionable hit is greater.
But since Red Wings never seem to get suspended or fined, they can not be repeat offenders and therefore will not face stiffer suspensions or fines.

There have been a couple hits this year by Wings players that should have at the very least been fines...but then they would be on the repeat offender list next time. Shanahan and the NHL can't have that.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:but then they would be on the repeat offender list next time. Shanahan and the NHL can't have that.

I don;t think enough has been made of this point.

It's not just the Wings never getting suspended and everyone getting suspended for looking at them incorrectly.......

Even mere fines are not being leaved because of the 'repeat offender' implications.

I was watching an interview yesterday with Bettman were he was discussing concussions....and while there are a huge issue.....he himself noted that many of them are coming from none 'contact' plays. Plays were skaters loose an edge or are struck buy the puck. Yes the heavy impact plays are more dangerous.....but you need to be very careful not to legislate contact out of the game. If we're only concerned with player safety, then according to the Commish's very own words we need to ether out law blocking shots or simply change to a nerf puck.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

northwest dave wrote: Reeves wasn't in the lineup. I'm a little more old school. I like it when players take care of business and can do other things than just fight. This whole 'goon' thing is what started lots of these problems today. We're all ok with the stupid goon vs. goon fight that doesn't mean anything, but the NHL doesn't like the real fighting when a player takes care of business. They should just eliminate fighting if that's the case.
Dave gets it! This is absolutely right! Why are so many people forgetting that Stewart is not just a pure goal scorer? This guy has always been willing to drop the gloves. He was out for like a month last season from breaking his hand on somebody's face. It's what makes him great - he has natural scoring ability and he can kick ass when he needs to. That's what the league needs more of - everybody on the team sticking up for each other, not staged goon-on-goon fights.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

big d note wrote:
northwest dave wrote: Reeves wasn't in the lineup. I'm a little more old school. I like it when players take care of business and can do other things than just fight. This whole 'goon' thing is what started lots of these problems today. We're all ok with the stupid goon vs. goon fight that doesn't mean anything, but the NHL doesn't like the real fighting when a player takes care of business. They should just eliminate fighting if that's the case.
Dave gets it! This is absolutely right! Why are so many people forgetting that Stewart is not just a pure goal scorer? This guy has always been willing to drop the gloves. He was out for like a month last season from breaking his hand on somebody's face. It's what makes him great - he has natural scoring ability and he can kick ass when he needs to. That's what the league needs more of - everybody on the team sticking up for each other, not staged goon-on-goon fights.
When a guy isn't scoring goals naturally, but has to bust his butt just to get opportunites, I would not say he has "natural" scoring ability. If Stewart had natural scoring ability, he should have more than 10 G and 10 A in 46 games.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

theohall wrote:
big d note wrote:
When a guy isn't scoring goals naturally, but has to bust his butt just to get opportunites, I would not say he has "natural" scoring ability. If Stewart had natural scoring ability, he should have more than 10 G and 10 A in 46 games.
So you are agreeing with me that Berglund isn't a natural either because he has a wopping 2 goals more than Stewart?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

tjk002 wrote:
theohall wrote:
big d note wrote:
So you are agreeing with me that Berglund isn't a natural either because he has a wopping 2 goals more than Stewart?
Berglund was barely trying until recently... so no. Stewart should be ice dancing instead of playing hockey. Sure, Stewie fights, but how often does one see him actually win a puck battle?? That's the effort he doesn't show and if he did, maybe his supposedly natural scoring ability would finally show up. 2 on none breakaway = no goal isn't exactly a shining moment for someone with natural ability while Berglund burying a penalty shot is a shining moment.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season