Bishop to become an UFA?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

hullisgod
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Bishop to become an UFA?

Post by hullisgod »

Sorry if this is known around here, but he will become an UFA according to Bob MacKenzie of TSN... Here are the tweets. https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

"For those who didn't see Insider Trading last night (for shame), STL goalie prospect Ben Bishop is headed toward unrestricted free agency.

Unless Bishop plays 17 NHL games (of 30+ minutes/game) this season, he qualifies as Group 6 unrestricted free agent July 1. Quality goalie.

STL won't give Bishop away but team could trade for him now, play him 17 games, take him out of Group 6 and he reverts to a Group 2 RFA.

Or just let Bishop go to UFA, make pitch in off-season. Interesting scenario. Bishop has .932 SPct in AHL with 6 SO. Most say he's NHL ready

For those asking, Group 6 UFA goalie is a 25 yr old with three pro seasons who played less than 28 NHL games (game defined as 30+ minutes).

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Bishop to become an UFA?

Post by gaijin »

The plot thickens...

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Me'thinks they will hang onto him in case Halak or Elliott breaks their leg. Offseason rolls around, Bishop will be offered a one-way contract, Elliott will be shopped to a team looking for a cheap (Elliott is cheaper now than he would have been as a FA) goalie in exchange for something... not sure exactly what--certainly not a top line sniper unless he's part of a package... Elliott+Berglund+Cola+a pick or two for Bobby Ryan or Ryan Getzlaf, perhaps? Bishop backs up Halak next couple seasons and they see what Allen can do--he certainly isn't doing shit for Peoria right now but that could be the product of a bad team in front of him? I've seen their +/-'s. If Allen proves to be alright, he'll step in and be the starter in a bunch of years or if he proves to be a bust, Bishop can hang in St. Louis. Anyway I'm just talking out my ass.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

glen a richter wrote: Anyway I'm just talking out my ass.
Me, Thinks yes you are :okman:

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya