Elliott signed to 2 year extension

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Elliott signed to 2 year extension

Post by thedoc »

Just got word the Blues just signed Elliott to a 2 year extension. Anyone have more details?

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Elliott signed to 2 year extension

Post by kodos »

$1.8 million per year.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

kodos wrote:$1.8 million per year.
If he keeps this up that might be the bargain of the century. Dmiles just reminded me that Halak and his contract will be up at the same time now. Making way for Allen perhaps?

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

That's a pretty sweet deal.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Army is making a VERY strong case for GM of the year.

This is short term and not a lot of money. If free agency started today, I bet he could get someone to give him something like 4 years, $15 mil or so.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Halak's cap hit is 3.7 and Elliots is 1.8. Combined that 5.5m cap hit is still pretty low, it'd make them 14th in the league in overall Goalie cap hit, when they're 15th this season). Both players have had their best years when limited to 40-50 games. So if limiting both players games gives them the sort of year they're both having right now and only puts the team middle of the pack to pay for it, that's awesome.

Here's the cap hit of individual goalies on some teams:
Henrik Lundqvist: 6.875m
Cam Ward: 6.3m
Niklas Backstrom: 6m
Mikka Kiprusoff: 5.83m
Ilya Bryzgalov: 5..667m
Martin Brodeur: 5.2m
Tim Thomas: 5m
Marc-Andre Fluery: 5m
Jonas Hiller: 4.5m
Rick DiPietro: 4.5m

As for backups, 1.8m is about the going rate for a top notch backup.
Boston with Tukka Rask: 1.25m
Anahiem with Dan Ellis: 1.5m
Philly with Sergei Bobrovsky: 1.75m
Giguere: 1.25m
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

This should make him the 3rd highest paid "backup" in the league unless I missed something. I like it. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it means Bishop is farther away, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.

Edit: TheoSqua's post is nice, only thing to add would be for backups, the Sharks - Niittymaki at 2 MM.
Last edited by AlsWoodenStick on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:This should make him the 3rd highest paid "backup" in the league unless I missed something. I like it. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it means Bishop is farther away, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.
Definitely a good problem to have. As much as I would love Bishop to make it with the Blues, that seems like a bit of a longshot now. Maybe we can trade him for something?

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

cardsfan04 wrote:
AlsWoodenStick wrote:This should make him the 3rd highest paid "backup" in the league unless I missed something. I like it. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it means Bishop is farther away, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.
Definitely a good problem to have. As much as I would love Bishop to make it with the Blues, that seems like a bit of a longshot now. Maybe we can trade him for something?
I don't know how much we could get out of him... Also, I would hate to miss just laughing every time I saw him stand up in goal with that huge frame. Anyway, good signing, :goblues:
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

seriously, who cares about Bishop when these two are playing lights out?
Second best goalie tandom in the NHL? pretty frickin badass!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
I don't know how much we could get out of him... Also, I would hate to miss just laughing every time I saw him stand up in goal with that huge frame. Anyway, good signing, :goblues:
I don't know what we'd get out of him either, but he might be worth more to us in a trade than as an AHL starter unlikely to ever be the Blues starter.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

This also makes elliot much more marketable at the trade deadline as he wouldn't be a rental player anymore.

With the goalie contracts as they are, we are in good shape if we keep them and can set ourselves up for a strong return if we move one.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Armstrong is bucking the trend of the really long, cap-circumventing deals. He's giving players short, 'prove it' deals and then paying them once those deals are over. See the 5 year Backes deal. I have no complaints when it comes to Armstrong. The guy knows what he's doing.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:Armstrong is bucking the trend of the really long, cap-circumventing deals. He's giving players short, 'prove it' deals and then paying them once those deals are over. See the 5 year Backes deal. I have no complaints when it comes to Armstrong. The guy knows what he's doing.
:plusplus:

And the price here is perfect. Elliott has been playing out of his mind so he's due a nice pay raise BUT he's "only" been doing it for half a season. I have no problem in the world with the $1.8 figure.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Obviously I'm shocked and if I were Elliot I would fire my agent ....

That said...GREAT move for the Blues and this probably does mean Bishop is gone. He did not take loosing out to Elliot very well this year and I can only imagine what this move did to him.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:Obviously I'm shocked and if I were Elliot I would fire my agent ....

That said...GREAT move for the Blues and this probably does mean Bishop is gone. He did not take loosing out to Elliot very well this year and I can only imagine what this move did to him.
It sounded to me like Elliott wanted this deal.
He wanted to get it done and he wanted a bit more stability after being with 3 teams over the last year or so.
He likes this team, he likes this system.
He knows he is the backup, and that's decent backup money. Maybe he makes a bit more as a free agent in the offseason IF he continues to play well, but I'm not sure how many teams would give him a ton more based on one season of solid play.

Most importantly, it's only a two year deal...which is good for both sides. I imagine he is thinking that he continues his solid play for two more seasons and establishes himself and let's everyone know this season isn't a fluke and then he can cash in then as Halak's replacement when Halak's contract is up or so somewhere as a free agent.

I think it's a great signing for both sides, in terms of money and length of contract.
It just gives us one more option at the end of Halak's contract.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

DaDitka wrote:Obviously I'm shocked and if I were Elliot I would fire my agent ....

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush. 1.8 Million is a ton of money and if he did have a relapse (not expecting it) he would be back down to $600K. I would sleep better at night if I knew I had a guaranteed money.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

thedoc wrote:

A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush. 1.8 Million is a ton of money and if he did have a relapse (not expecting it) he would be back down to $600K. I would sleep better at night if I knew I had a guaranteed money.
He just tripled his salary from this year.
I don't care who you are...that's gotta make you happy.
And if he continues to play well, he may double it or even triple it again when his contract is up in two years.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote: And if he continues to play well, he may double it or even triple it again when his contract is up in two years.

I understand all of that....

But am I the only one that see's Halak becoming the pure #1 and taking more and more starts away from Elliot?

Baring an injury to Halak, there is now way Elliot's value is ever high then it is right now. Yes he got a lot 'more' money then he was getting, but he arguably could have gotten much, much more on the open market IMO.

If in fact he just really liked the situation here and the team here and therefore wanted this deal instead of trying to get a much larger one this offseason.....I have a new found respect for the guy. You simply don't see that enough in professional sports anymore.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

DaDitka wrote:
cprice12 wrote: And if he continues to play well, he may double it or even triple it again when his contract is up in two years.

I understand all of that....

But am I the only one that see's Halak becoming the pure #1 and taking more and more starts away from Elliot?

Baring an injury to Halak, there is now way Elliot's value is ever high then it is right now. Yes he got a lot 'more' money then he was getting, but he arguably could have gotten much, much more on the open market IMO.

If in fact he just really liked the situation here and the team here and therefore wanted this deal instead of trying to get a much larger one this offseason.....I have a new found respect for the guy. You simply don't see that enough in professional sports anymore.
I think as long as Elliott is playing this well he will get a lot of starts to keep Halak fresh.
Sure, Halak should be the #1 guy and get most of the starts, but it could be and probably should be a 60/40 split if Elliott is playing as well as Halak is.

I'm not sure how much more he could have got after the season as a free agent. Yes his value is higher now, but few teams are going to give a huge contract to a guy after one good season. He'd probably get a little more, assuming he continues to play very well. He might have been able to get $2.5 million or so from someone, but it would only be for a couple years.
Nobody is going to give him a lot of money over a long contract yet. That may happen after he proves himself over time, over the next two years here.

He sees this team, this system, and how this is a team on the rise with a solid defensive scheme...and he has thrived here.
If he continues to play well, which I assume he feels he will under this system, in two years he should be able to sign a nice contract here or somewhere else and make more money than he would have if he went to free agency this offseason.

And I can't see him being traded either. Bishop may be on his way out in a package deal to help get a scoring forward.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO