Stan Bowman is an idiot

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Stan Bowman is an idiot

Post by Ruutu15 »

Congrats Blues fans, you're gonna finish ahead of the Hawks this year. Stan Bowman is a (Franking) moron. I'm all for getting rid of Brian Campbell, but there's absolutely NO REASON to trade Troy Brouwer less than an hour before clearing cap space. The Campbell trade is all about cap room, which I agree with, but WTF is this guy doing?!?!?!

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Stan Bowman is an idiot

Post by Winning Unlimited »

:cup:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Really though, I was drunker than 700 dollars last night when I posted that, but the thought remains. The Blues are going to be a lot better next year. Forget the Campbell deal, but think about the scenario for a minute. Picture it as if it were the Blues who made a similar trade. You have about 4 guys who need to be either re-signed or dealt due to cap concerns, all of whom are a big part of your team. So...you trade one of the best players on your team since he's due a modest raise. Later in the same day, you get rid of a guy who carried a 7+ million dollar cap hit. Would you think the GM was insane? Not for getting rid of the big cap hit, but for trading a guy earlier in the day that the team desperately needs.

I'm all for getting rid of Campbell, but Bowman had to know that he had the framework of a deal in place before he traded Brouwer to the Capitals. There was no reason for him to trade Brouwer if he knew that he was going to trade Campbell. And, he had to know that he was going to trade Campbell because he agreed to waive his NTC to Florida the night before.

I realize that this is a Blues board, and you guys don't give a damn about this, but the reason for me posting this here is because NO ONE is calling Stan Bowman out for that. So, am I crazy or would you guys agree with me if it was the Blues GM who did the same thing? Stan Bowman is an idiot. He gets a ton of leeway just because of his last name.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

So would you consider this Chicago's Pronger for Brewer trade, minus all the AHLers that came with him?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The bigger idiot is Tallon. I mean honestly, how lucky is Chicago to get Campbell's albatross of a contract off their necks? Florida has to be one of the most incompetently run franchises in the NHL.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

glen a richter wrote:The bigger idiot is Tallon. I mean honestly, how lucky is Chicago to get Campbell's albatross of a contract off their necks? Florida has to be one of the most incompetently run franchises in the NHL.
And he's off touting it like it gives Florida legitimacy. Screw that. The Panthers had to make up $30 million just to get to the FACKING CAP FLOOR and trading for overpaid albatrosses like Campbell is a great way to jumpstart that AND ruin your franchise for the next five years at the same time.

Troy Brouwer? Meh. You'll find another Troy Brouwer. I'm not saying the move makes sense (it doesn't), but there are bigger things to concern yourself with.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Brouwer isn't that big of a piece. Sharp is. You got a first round pick for him.

Maybe, Bowman didn't want to trouble himself with tendering offers until just after the deadline passed?

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

glen a richter wrote:The bigger idiot is Tallon. I mean honestly, how lucky is Chicago to get Campbell's albatross of a contract off their necks? Florida has to be one of the most incompetently run franchises in the NHL.
Florida was incompetent before Tallon got there. He built the Blackhawks, and made a few questionable decisions along the way, but the team that won the cup was his. It's also widely recognized that the Campbell signing wasn't Tallon's decision, neither was Huet. We'll never know 100%, but McDonnough pretty much took credit for getting those guys because they were marketable (at the time). Florida will be a lot better with Tallon.

Winning Unlimited wrote:Brouwer isn't that big of a piece. Sharp is. You got a first round pick for him.

Maybe, Bowman didn't want to trouble himself with tendering offers until just after the deadline passed?
Yes, Sharp is the most important, and he will be retained. You're missing my point, though. With Campbell being gone, they could have kept both...as well as Kopecky. Brouwer was arguably the best player on the ice more than 20 times last season, played first line minutes, and has grit that cannot be matched at that price by any of the free agents. So we got a first for him, big deal. Draft picks are like lottery tickets.

And Bowman should know about tendering offers late. Just ask Byfuglien and Versteeg.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

I'm no fan of the current CBA. The payroll range is too narrow in my opinion which causes many problems for the small to mid market US teams. An ancillary probelm is posed by the current state of the Panthers. Prior to the Campbell deal they had 11 players signed for around $18 mill leaving them 12 roster spots and having to spend $30 mill to get to the new floor.

So Florida is in a spot where, in a marginal free agent year, they have to spend like, well Dale Tallon. So taking Campbell's bad contract actually helped them as much as the Hawks.

As for the Hawks, being able to dump Campbell's 5 more years of $7 M+ cap hit is a huge help. I figured they'd only be able to dump him through recall waivers and be stuck with half the salary/cap hit. Not only can they afford to keep Campoli, Stahlberg and if they want Frolik and Kopecky, they can probably afford a decent backup goalie and Hendry, too.

If they manage things right, they can extend Sharp with the savings they pick up starting next year when Huet's contract goes away.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Only problem I have is that you said Troy Brouwer was one of the best players on your team :lol:

As you know I live in the Chi-town area and of any non-Blues team, it's the Hawks that I follow the most closely. And I'm kinda stupified about Troy Brouwer being dealt being a travesty. I don't know, maybe I just haven't followed him as closely as I thought but if you guys retain Campoli, Frolik, Stalberg, etc... you tend to forget about Campbell and Brouwer because you guys made some nice trades during the year to add some more skill and depth and I figured it'd all walk this offseason. Losing Campbell hurts but realistically you just have to do it...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Please tell me they didn't trade Kopecky for just a 7th rounder did they?? Sorry Ruutu, your team is screwed.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

STLADOGG wrote:Please tell me they didn't trade Kopecky for just a 7th rounder did they?? Sorry Ruutu, your team is screwed.
Wait it was just for his rights...but still wow.
TW Tiger Woods TW

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Only problem I have is that you said Troy Brouwer was one of the best players on your team :lol:

As you know I live in the Chi-town area and of any non-Blues team, it's the Hawks that I follow the most closely. And I'm kinda stupified about Troy Brouwer being dealt being a travesty. I don't know, maybe I just haven't followed him as closely as I thought but if you guys retain Campoli, Frolik, Stalberg, etc... you tend to forget about Campbell and Brouwer because you guys made some nice trades during the year to add some more skill and depth and I figured it'd all walk this offseason. Losing Campbell hurts but realistically you just have to do it...
Maybe. I can see why someone might say that losing Brouwer isn't that big of a deal, but remember that he plays on the first line. He is very adequate as a top 3 forward. Laugh all you want, but he was on the first line last season as well, and he won a Stanley Cup. True, he only scores around 20 goals per season, but he has the grit that allows guys like Toews or Kane to succeed. His goal totals are misleading due to the role that he plays (well). He created a ton of space out there. Is he one of the best players on the team? That's debatable, but what isn't disputed is the fact that he played his role very well, and did so while getting top line minutes a lot of nights. Again, my main problem isn't so much the movement of Brouwer. I hate the fact that he's gone, but they could have easily retained him because they knew that Campbell was as good as gone. Name a free agent that can step in at that price and play that role. Not gonna find one. I was always hard on Campbell, but he was a decent player, even if not as advertised. Now we're out both guys. Campbell is not so bad because Keith can play the same role very well, but there's no one on the roster that can play Brouwer's, and there's no one affordable that can play first line minutes out there.

STLADOGG - Yeah, I wasn't too happy with Kopecky's rights being traded tonight, either. I was having a good night until I came home and saw that deal. Kopecky is another one of those players who, while not great, fit the team and mold perfectly. He's also Hossa's best friend...which may not mean much, but hey, comfort is always good. You're right, this team is imploding...and for no reason. I hate the salary cap, but this is just a shitty GM...I can't blame these moves on the cap.

Listen, I've hated the Blues my whole life...much like you guys have hated the Hawks. But I've been posting here for almost a decade. I post here more than I post at any Hawks forum. This is always the first place I come to talk about hockey. I'll be happy for you guys when the Blues get better, which won't be long. With the exception of "Jack Adams", I've never met any of you guys personally...but I'd be lying if I said that my hatred for the Blues is as strong as it was 10 years ago, because I like everyone here without exception. It just blows when your team implodes for no reason.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Ruutu15 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Only problem I have is that you said Troy Brouwer was one of the best players on your team :lol:

Maybe. I can see why someone might say that losing Brouwer isn't that big of a deal, but remember that he plays on the first line. He is very adequate as a top 3 forward. Laugh all you want, but he was on the first line last season as well, and he won a Stanley Cup. True, he only scores around 20 goals per season, but he has the grit that allows guys like Toews or Kane to succeed. His goal totals are misleading due to the role that he plays (well). He created a ton of space out there. Is he one of the best players on the team? That's debatable, but what isn't disputed is the fact that he played his role very well, and did so while getting top line minutes a lot of nights. Again, my main problem isn't so much the movement of Brouwer. I hate the fact that he's gone, but they could have easily retained him because they knew that Campbell was as good as gone. Name a free agent that can step in at that price and play that role. Not gonna find one. I was always hard on Campbell, but he was a decent player, even if not as advertised. Now we're out both guys. Campbell is not so bad because Keith can play the same role very well, but there's no one on the roster that can play Brouwer's, and there's no one affordable that can play first line minutes out there.

STLADOGG - Yeah, I wasn't too happy with Kopecky's rights being traded tonight, either. I was having a good night until I came home and saw that deal. Kopecky is another one of those players who, while not great, fit the team and mold perfectly. He's also Hossa's best friend...which may not mean much, but hey, comfort is always good. You're right, this team is imploding...and for no reason. I hate the salary cap, but this is just a shitty GM...I can't blame these moves on the cap.

Listen, I've hated the Blues my whole life...much like you guys have hated the Hawks. But I've been posting here for almost a decade. I post here more than I post at any Hawks forum. This is always the first place I come to talk about hockey. I'll be happy for you guys when the Blues get better, which won't be long. With the exception of "Jack Adams", I've never met any of you guys personally...but I'd be lying if I said that my hatred for the Blues is as strong as it was 10 years ago, because I like everyone here without exception. It just blows when your team implodes for no reason.
I feel bad for you, I have to respect someone who sticks with there team through good and bad times. Although I get a happy felling thinking about all of those bandwagon fans stop caring about the Hawks.

But I guess Bowman thinks with Toews, Kane(prick), Hossa, Seabrook and Keith, he thinks they will still be a contender. But what made them so good over the last couple of years wasn't their great players but was their depth...a bunch of of kids won't be able to step in and do what all these players did.
TW Tiger Woods TW

tomcat16
All-Star
All-Star

Post by tomcat16 »

Tallon must have done this as a favor to his old team. I can't think of any other reason why anyone would take this contract. At first I thought this must be a front loaded contract so the Panthers would have a $7M cap hit but wouldn't have to pay that much, but I can't find any evidence of this. Capgeek says its the same $7M every year. Boneheaded trade if I've ever seen one and it pisses me off that it lets the Hawks off the hook for it.