2011 NHL Draft

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

The Bob Essensa Xperience
All-Star
All-Star

Re: 2011 NHL Draft

Post by The Bob Essensa Xperience »

NHL teams who passed on him,

TY RATTIE FOGIVE YOU - DIS TIME.

[youtube][/youtube]

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Tarasenko, Jaskin and Grachev, we got a little Russian thing going on. Grachev and Jaskin are apparently no slouches themselves, and we all know Tarasenko is the second coming.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Someday, we'll be enjoying beautiful, winning hockey rather than hoping these names pan out.

Right? :|
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yes, Ohio, someday. Figure around 2090 or so.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:The one that everyone was comparing to St Louis was Rocco Grimaldi. I believe he was taken by the Panthers.

I have recaps up on the front page. One with an in-depth look at the second round picks and one that overviews the entire draft.
Grimaldi is already turning into the Tim Tebow of the NHL. That should work out okay in Miami though.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Well Rattie ya know...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:Tarasenko, Jaskin and Grachev, we got a little Russian thing going on. Grachev and Jaskin are apparently no slouches themselves, and we all hope to God Tarasenko is the second coming.
ftfw
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

glen a richter wrote:Yes, Ohio, someday. Figure around 2090 or so.
You figure the NHL will be around that long? lol
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

philco_3 wrote:
Sure. A good start might be Bettman stepping down. Once that happens, if he's replaced by someone with a brain, the NHL can carry on.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

glen a richter wrote:
philco_3 wrote:
Sure. A good start might be Bettman stepping down. Once that happens, if he's replaced by someone with a brain, the NHL can carry on.
I'm curious. Name a few changes that wouldn't have taken place had someone else been the commissioner. I know that Bettman makes every decision regarding the league by himself...the owners have nothing to do with it. Everyone hates Bettman, so tell me why.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A good start would have been not expanding wildly to the south.

Keeping the traditional conferences and divisions would have been nice, but that was bound to change because no one gives a damn about tradition anymore.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Leedog wrote:Why is there no pick number 69?
That was one of the picks that NJ forfeit in the Kovy contract ordeal.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Cavallinis
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Cavallinis »

Leedog wrote:Why is there no pick number 69?
Same reason there's no 13th floor in hotels. You just don't want to be that guy. :shock: :lol:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

No matter how you twist, turn or spin it, this day was an EPIC FAIL for the organization.

It does not matter what so ever how these player develop, the organization made it well know that they wanted to trade into the first and/or move some picks for established NHL talent. They failed on bot parts. If one of these kids develop into the next SUPER MARIO, it's still a fail. Just because they got lucky doesn't change teh FACT that they FAILED to accomplish any of their stated goals.

I wish all these prospect the best of luck and hope we have a star or two in the bunch someday, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be disappointed in weekend.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

The Bob Essensa Xperience
All-Star
All-Star

Post by The Bob Essensa Xperience »

DaDitka wrote:No matter how you twist, turn or spin it, this day was an EPIC FAIL for the organization.

It does not matter what so ever how these player develop, the organization made it well know that they wanted to trade into the first and/or move some picks for established NHL talent. They failed on bot parts. If one of these kids develop into the next SUPER MARIO, it's still a fail. Just because they got lucky doesn't change teh FACT that they FAILED to accomplish any of their stated goals.

I wish all these prospect the best of luck and hope we have a star or two in the bunch someday, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be disappointed in weekend.
Da Rat Man fogive you for your cynicism ... dis time.
[youtube][/youtube]

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

DaDitka wrote:No matter how you twist, turn or spin it, this day was an EPIC FAIL for the organization.

Part of me wonders if Armstrong was just talking a big game to get fans to watch the draft. There was no reason to trade up to the first round; this draft was weak! That's why we were glad to give Colorado our first pick THIS year because after about the 9th pick, you're already drafting for third/fourth line or third defensive pairing players.

For the most part, I was pleased with our second round selections. I don't know much about Rattie, but this Jaskin could could be something special; especially if Tarasenko ever decides to get his ass over here. Those two on a line could be very great to see. Edmundson is a big defenseman who will knock out teeth- I like that type of player. His foot speed is questionable, but he can work on that in juniors.

I understand why you are mad; the Blues did not deliver what they said they would. I agree in the sense that Armie shouldn't make it sound like he is going to be very active on the trade front. But he did get Grachev, who honestly could be a second line guy if he stops being so selfish.

I have no problem with what the Blues did this weekend. I think they built to keep this team strong in about 5 years and didn't make any drastic changes that could get us in the cellar next season (not too many potential owners would want a team that just fell in the standings). Armstrong has to keep the best interest of this sale in mind. Fans are pissed but this team can only improve next season with the same guys and about the same payroll from last season.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Awkward promotion photos from the NHL draft (a few Blues make the list...)
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

They never said that they were definitely going to make trades. They said they were looking too. There's a difference. They also said that if no trade was there, they would be happy using all of their picks and look for an established forward and an experienced D-man on July 1. It's not a fail. There's no way an NHL Draft can be classified as a fail one day after it's complete.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote: They never said that they were definitely going to make trades. They said they were looking too. There's a difference. They also said that if no trade was there, they would be happy using all of their picks and look for an established forward and an experienced D-man on July 1. It's not a fail. There's no way an NHL Draft can be classified as a fail one day after it's complete.

Again, I only feel this way because I KNOW they TRIED to trade up into the first. They reportedly were VERY open about that fact during the draft. That tells me they clearly wanted something other then what they ended up with. In the end the settled for what they got, they did not get what they want, that's why I said 'fail'.

Most NFL draft day trades' ground work is set days before the draft. It's like advance scouting. I get the feeling that they thought they could just call up anyone and easily move up with a couple of those picks. I don't think they were properly prepared.

IMO you can never have enough depth in your organization, so selecting 4 guys in the top 80 some picks is never a 'bad' thing. And they still have the option to improve this roster via free agency, but Army basically shot that down on Friday as well.

In an interview with Bernie, he said "Or core stars are on the roster right now, improvement must come form them. If there is a veteran that can help us further down on our roster, we'll look into that".

Translation "We're looking for someone like Brad Winchester".

Look, there is clearly not much to get upset or excited about here. This young Blues team is going to spend near the floor, finish in the top 10 scoring teams, play suspect defense, and hope Halak can regain his form and we can make a short visit to the playoffs. None of this was going to change one way or the other with what happened over the weekend. We weren't going to trade for an expensive vet and it's tough to assume someone selected in the mid to late 20's is going to help your NHL roster his first year.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund