My year end grades for this roster

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

My year end grades for this roster

Post by goon attack »

42 DAVID BACKES - B+
Backes had a stretch early on where he was a little invisible, but he had a very solid year. I expect him to reach 75-80 points next year if he remains healthy... he should also have the C slapped on his sweater ASAP.
Prediction for 2011-12: 35 goals, 75 points, 120 PIMs

21 PATRIK BERGLUND - B-
Made some strides this season. It seems like he knows what it takes now... but will he do it? He needs to be a little more selfish with the puck. He did that a little more in the second half of the season and it needs to continue for him to take it to the next level. Needs to impose himself physically on he opposition, like Backes... if he added that to his game, the sky's the limit.
Prediction for 2011-12: 30 goals, 70 points

26 BJ CROMBEEN - C
This may not be too popular here, but BJ is a good guy for this team. He adds toughness and doesn't float. His fighting was much improved this year from last, but he didn't put as many goals in as I expected him to... but he doesn't get much ice time so whaddya gonna do?
Prediction for 2011-12: 25 points, 170 PIMs

36 MATT D'AGOSTINI - B-
Dags was a little inconsistent and got shuffled around a bit, but he had a very solid year. The fact that he will throw on occasion makes him a very nice asset. Great shot. Was invisible for stretches.
Prediction for 2011-12: 25 goals, 40 points

55 CAM JANSSEN - C+
Cam did his job and had some really good scraps. He sort of won me over the second half of the season. I was ready for him to be jettisoned in favor of Reaves, but I like him now. If they shitcan him, oh well, but I like the guy. I think he stays.
Prediction for 2011-12: 2 goals, 150 PIMs

10 ANDY MCDONALD - B+
AMac provides a dynamic play making that can be invaluable... he did really well, just as I expected he would. Needs to stay in open ice to maximize his worth.
Prediction for 2011-12: 20 goals, 50 points

38 PHILIP MCRAE - D
Nothing really stands out as of yet. He hardly got any ice time and didn't impress.
Prediction for 2011-12: 10 points

74 TJ OSHIE C
Streaky, but the injury really sucked. I think in a full season, he'll be a 70 point guy. Needs to avoid the bullshit drama that just occurred when he missed practice.
Prediction for 2011-12: 25 goals, 60 points

57 DAVID PERRON - I
Prediction for 2011-12: 30 goals, 55 points

32 CHRIS PORTER - C
Showed more promise in his second stint here. Sort of reminds me of Dags. Time will tell if he's willing to play like a badass or like a minor leaguer afraid to make a mistake.
Prediction for 2011-12: 20 points

75 RYAN REAVES - B
Reaves skates well considering his size and has shown a willingness to backcheck well. Plus, the guy is a bad motherf***er.
Prediction for 2011-12: 10 points, 110 PIMs

17 VLADIMIR SOBOTKA - B-
Vladdie, just like AMac, needs to realize that the middle of the offensive zone is his friend. Too many times we see him get neutralized along the boards... he needs to realize that he's heading to poor ice along the board. He'll throw down, which ups his score, but he really needs more offensive zone confidence with the puck.
Prediction for 2011-12: 20 goals, 40 points

20 ALEXANDER STEEN - A-
Steen continues to impress. He's a gamer. He's a very solid two way forward and a team leader. it was nice to see him get his career 100th goal.
Prediction for 2011-12: 25 goals, 60 points

25 CHRIS STEWART - A
In limited time here, he impressed. He seems like a really good team guy and seems to love playing the game. He should be a fan favorite for the next decade. He scored some clutch goals and I'll guess that he'd do the same in the playoffs.
Prediction for 2011-12: 40 goals, 75 points

28 CARLO COLAIACOVO - C
Dude just isn't that great. He seems like a good room guy, but he doesn't do anything especially well.
Prediction for 2011-12: 35 points

5 BARRET JACKMAN C-
Inconsistent year for Jacks. He, like Carlo, doesn't do anything particularly well, but can still be a good teammate here. I'd like him to stay, but he needs to play with more of an edge.
Prediction for 2011-12: 20 points

64 NIKITA NIKITIN - B
Nikitin looks good. he's mobile and enthusiastic. He should up his physical game to go to the next level.
Prediction for 2011-12: 25 points

27 ALEX PIETRANGELO - A+
The highlight of this season. It's like Al MacInnis is back only with better skating. If he adds a mean streak and ups his physical game, he'd be perfect.
Prediction for 2011-12: 60 points

46 ROMAN POLAK - B
Solid year for Polak... if he upped his physical game and was more of a son of a bitch, he'd REALLY be on to something.
Prediction for 2011-12: 25 points

12 KEVIN SHATTENKIRK - B
Plays smart positional hockey (he has to with his cricket-like size) and has good offensive instincts. I would not be surprised at all if he hit 65-70 points next season.
Prediction for 2011-12: 50 points

29 TY CONKLIN - C-
Conks had some good games but also let in some HORRIBLE goals. Bye.
Prediction for 2011-12: off the team

41 JAROSLAV HALAK - C+
Let in some horrible goals as well. His glove looked like a prosthetic at times. He also had some great shutout streaks. Mixed bag... if he can get hot every playoffs, we may have a gem here.... maybe he's MONEY.
Prediction for 2011-12: wins at least one playoff round

Barring another injury plagued season, there is no reason at all to believe that this team will not be in the post season next year. The offense should be in high gear.
Last edited by goon attack on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: My year end grades for this roster

Post by ohio BLUES »

I only really disagree with the grade you gave D'Agostini... compared to expectations for him, he gets an A in my book. Hopefully he's resigned as an RFA and will have another career year next season.

Oh and Janssen is useless next year. We'll meet our hometown homeboy quota with Bishop. See ya, Cam.

Lastly... next year is 2011-2012, not 2012-2013 :)
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I didn't read every word of that, but I liked most of the grades.

I give Backes an A or A- though. 31G is worthy of at least an A- IMO.

I prob give Halak a B-. He was awesome for awhile, terrible for awhile, and hurt for awhile. At the least, I put more distance between him and Conklin.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ohio BLUES wrote:I only really disagree with the grade you gave D'Agostini... compared to expectations for him, he gets an A in my book. Hopefully he's resigned as an RFA and will have another career year next season.

Oh and Janssen is useless next year. We'll meet our hometown homeboy quota with Bishop. See ya, Cam.

Lastly... next year is 2011-2012, not 2012-2013 :)
I'd bet a semi-significant amount of money that Janssen is on FSMW within 2-3 years.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

cardsfan04 wrote:I didn't read every word of that, but I liked most of the grades.

I prob give Halak a B-. He was awesome for awhile, terrible for awhile, and hurt for awhile. At the least, I put more distance between him and Conklin.
Backes doesn't get an A in my book because of his poor... terrible... wretched start to the season. He needs to break the slow-starter BS next year. Although it's great he reached that 30 goal plateau again. Needs to do AT LEAST the same next year, and probably more. I'd like to see him put up Ryan Kesler numbers... 40g 30+a.

Halak's inconsistency hurts him, but he started and ended strong. B-, C+... flip a coin. Either way, not good enough.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'd bet a semi-significant amount of money that Janssen is on FSMW within 2-3 years.
Hell, he may be on FSMW next year.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

yeah Goon, why are all your predictions for 2 seasons from now?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

glen a richter wrote:yeah Goon, why are all your predictions for 2 seasons from now?
Because i'm a moran, apparently :grin:

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:I didn't read every word of that, but I liked most of the grades.

31 G, 31 A and top 5 in the league in +/-. If someone told me Backes would pot 30 g and be top 5 in plus/minus, I would have said BS. Even with the slow start, he gets an A from me. It's not like Payne wasn't juggling line combos to start the season or Backes lost the #1 and #2 center in Novemeber.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

also:

DAVIS PAYNE: B - with all the injuries, I think he did a pretty darn good job.

OVERALL TEAM SCORE - D
They had flashes of greatness but let too many games slip away late and did not seem to have the ability to grind out wins when things got ugly from the injuries. I think the front office saw that apathy and that's why the dead weight was jettisoned (Brewer, Johnson, Boyes, Winchester)

JOHN KELLY - C- The glassy-eyed look on his face somehow seems to extend to his play by play. Bizarre as f***. He's okay, but no Dan Kelly or even Ken Wilson.

DARREN PANG- A-- Panger rocks... it's like one of us is in the booth, only he's got a wealth of inside knowledge about the NHL. The minus is for "Holy Jumpin".

CHRIS KERBER - C - meh

KELLY CHASE - B- - meh, but since Kelly is perhaps the best pound per pound fighter in Blues history, I can't just give him a C

BERNIE FEDERKO - C I like Bernie a lot; I grew up watching him play... but meh. I know he's hated here by many, but he scored over 1000 points in the NHL and you didn't. (Frank) you; Bernie represents tradition.

TONY TWIST - B - I enjoy Twister's analysis and the way he looks like a serial killer. Dude has some good insights.

THAT DOUCHE WHO HOSTS POST GAME LIVE on FSMW... (PAT PARRIS?) - D - that dude blows. Not only does it look like he dumped a quart of 5W 30 on his melon, but he always seems like he's impatient when someone else is talking, like he can't wait to start talking, like he's got something good to say. He doesn't. He's a boring dicknozzle.

THE CREW THAT CLEANS THE ICE DURING TV TIMEOUTS - F What. The. Fukk. Until we get hot bitches out there, we SUCK.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Grade inflation. How can nearly everyone on the roster get above a C when the team stunk so badly?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Bernie Federko
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
Location: Outside Curt's window, checking out his cabinets and flooring.

Post by Bernie Federko »

goon attack wrote: BERNIE FEDERKO - C I like Bernie a lot; I grew up watching him play... but meh. I know he's hated here by many, but he scored over 1000 points in the NHL and you didn't. (Frank) you; Bernie represents tradition.
A "c" and props...how can it be both?
BUY SOME GODDAMN CABINETS!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Grade inflation. How can nearly everyone on the roster get above a C when the team stunk so badly?
Because there is a quantitative result for the team and then individual quantitative results. They can very widely depending on many factors.

You could have 18 Wayne Gretzkys on a team who all score 100 points, but if your goalie is the worst sieve in NHL history, your team will suck.

Also, all your losses may be close affairs, but most of your wins could be blowouts... thus, the individual numbers might be good, yet the team record may suck

etc.

For my analysis, I guess it's more accurate to say the I graded the forwards in terms of offense mostly and the D in terms of defense and offense.

Now get off my nuts and enjoy your lgb message board community experience please. 8)

Darren Pang
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren Pang »

goon attack wrote: DARREN PANG- A-- Panger rocks
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageHOLY JUMPIN!!ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Attachments
jumping0041.gif
jumping0041.gif (2.67 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Holy Jumpin' 9 of heartz!
ImageImage
goon attack wrote: DARREN PANG- A-- Panger rocks

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

goon attack wrote: OVERALL TEAM SCORE - D
They had flashes of greatness but let too many games slip away late and did not seem to have the ability to grind out wins when things got ugly from the injuries. I think the front office saw that apathy and that's why the dead weight was jettisoned (Brewer, Johnson, Boyes, Winchester)
January: 2-8-2. 5 were 1 goal losses. Turn around those 5 - Blues have 95 points (2 were OT losses) and win one more one goal game somewhere - Blues would be in the hunt. Too many injuries all around the same time are what killed them.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't feel like looking up all the details, but from 4 on down to 8 in the west, all have basically the same point totals (98 or 99 points). How many of those points were earned in wins against a depleted Blues team that may have won if they were playing at full strength? The 8 seed Floor could have actually been lower. Take away 2 points from every team from 4-10 and give them to the Blues and we're looking at playoff hockey right now.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Cavallinis
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Cavallinis »

goon attack wrote: Barring another injury plagued season, there is no reason at all to believe that this team will not be in the post season next year. The offense should be in high gear.

With fewer injuries, agreed. But will this group stay intact? Depends on the ownership situation, I guess. I can't imagine an offseason with no moves at all, but I wonder how much Checketts/Towerbrook will be willing to spend to improve the team (or lock up any of their own potential free agents) with the franchise up for sale. The team was not afraid to make moves before Checketts pulled the plug.

It will be interesting to see if there are any good quotes from the top brass concerning this in the coming days.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I think that the team will stay in tact. I don't see the Blues signing an major or mid grade free agents in the off-season unless the team finds a seller.

Can KMOX and FSMW join forces next years and simulcast Krebs and Chaser? No disrespect for John Kelly, but I really can't stand listening to a game on TV primarily because of Panger. I know Panger is there to the color guy, but can he shut the hell up when there action going on let John ANNOUNCE the game? I like Bernie and the roll he plays. Would be nice to have Twister doing more than what he does.

What grade does the Blues Medical team get?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Wait, what's this? You can't just go and post grades like this... you need to give us some sort of advance warning.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

philco_3 wrote:I think that the team will stay in tact. I don't see the Blues signing an major or mid grade free agents in the off-season unless the team finds a seller.

Can KMOX and FSMW join forces next years and simulcast Krebs and Chaser? No disrespect for John Kelly, but I really can't stand listening to a game on TV primarily because of Panger. I know Panger is there to the color guy, but can he shut the hell up when there action going on let John ANNOUNCE the game? I like Bernie and the roll he plays. Would be nice to have Twister doing more than what he does.

What grade does the Blues Medical team get?
I'm kinda sorta with you. Panger talks too much during the play for sure, but I like how he explains the game. Kelly, OTOH, well, just think very very negative things and that's what I think of him.