PERRON OFFICIALLY DONE THIS YEAR

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Re: PERRON OFFICIALLY DONE THIS YEAR

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Would love to see some decent helmets in the NHL

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

glen a richter wrote:There should be a shutdown though, all exaggerating and sarcasm aside, the closest this team will get to the playoffs this season is buying tickets to attend games elsewhere. Why risk Perron going all Eric Lindros on us?
I don't disagree one bit. But, I do like it when Strickland is flat out wrong.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Would love to see some decent helmets in the NHL
Why isn't everyone using the Mark Messier helmet?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Would love to see some decent helmets in the NHL
One question I've recently had with the whole "Concussions in sports" discussions that have been going on this most recent year: do the contact sports openly share their helmet designs/safety features? You gotta believe companies that develop new helmets want to protect their interest in it but at the same time, especially the NFL and NHL, players would be benefited GREATLY by open discussions and sharing of products to give the best protection available. The physics of how guys get their heads rocked in football and hockey are really pretty similar in a lot of circumstances and some NFL players have already come out saying that new helmets they are wearing (namely Aaron Rogers when he took that hit from Peppers) are better than the ones they used before. With the NHL experiencing concussions at rates really similar to those of NFL players, I'd think it's a crying shame if they're not on the phone with the NFL trying to help out hockey players by getting some designs of new football helmets and seeing if they can reconfigure them for hockey.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Exactly
I dont remember what kind of helmet I used back in the day (might have been a Bauer)
But it was terrible. Shit pad inside of a shitty plastic shell.
Tell me these rich ass companies cant make something worthwhile

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ohio BLUES wrote:Darren Pang says there is no "shutdown" in effect for Perron. Strickland loses again!
Kerber is saying the same thing...Perron is not "shut down".

His return is unlikely though.

Why isn't he being shut down? I'm thinking the only thing he can do is have a setback. Seems like he can do more harm than good in trying to come back this year.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Something seems fishy about Perron's injury. McDonald got the same kind of injury after him, yet returned much quicker. Plus, several games ago, Perron and McDonald were watching the game from the booth and he seemed fine. I know his injury was severe, but I'm sure he could play if he and the team wanted him to. Maybe they're keeping him out so he can rest up and be better for next season.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Something seems fishy about Perron's injury. McDonald got the same kind of injury after him, yet returned much quicker. Plus, several games ago, Perron and McDonald were watching the game from the booth and he seemed fine. I know his injury was severe, but I'm sure he could play if he and the team wanted him to. Maybe they're keeping him out so he can rest up and be better for next season.
I'm sure you know this but every concussion is different, look at Marc Savard.
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I know I said this in a previous thread, but it bears repeating - Perron should not have returned after being knocked out in a game. There is no way you get knocked out cold and do not have a concussion. It was totally irresponsible of the medical staff, and likely contributes big time to his still being out. They should have shut him down on the spot no matter how he felt.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I know I said this in a previous thread, but it bears repeating - Perron should not have returned after being knocked out in a game. There is no way you get knocked out cold and do not have a concussion. It was totally irresponsible of the medical staff, and likely contributes big time to his still being out. They should have shut him down on the spot no matter how he felt.
The same thing happened to Kariya on that Stevens hit and basically the same injury.
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STLADOGG wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I know I said this in a previous thread, but it bears repeating - Perron should not have returned after being knocked out in a game. There is no way you get knocked out cold and do not have a concussion. It was totally irresponsible of the medical staff, and likely contributes big time to his still being out. They should have shut him down on the spot no matter how he felt.
The same thing happened to Kariya on that Stevens hit and basically the same injury.
Except for the whole "clean hit" thing.

And IIRC, Kariya didn't get a concussion from that.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

You are correct... and if his career ends early I'm sure there will be a lawsuit against the Blues.

My question is this: shouldn't Perron have known to keep himself out of the game? Yes, I know the coaching staff is there for guidance and all that, but come on...
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:
You are correct... and if his career ends early I'm sure there will be a lawsuit against the Blues.

My question is this: shouldn't Perron have known to keep himself out of the game? Yes, I know the coaching staff is there for guidance and all that, but come on...

This is the funny part to me. Both the NFL and the NHL are talking about how many more concussions players are having today.....NO THEY ARE NOT (or at least it's not that 'many' more) it's just that the teams are reporting them now and not just running the guys back out there as quickly simply because of the fear of the lawsuit. Hell, many have these players are being protected from themselves. More often then not, these players want to get back out there too soon.

It's not that the hits, the size, whatever is getting out of hand...There aren't more concussions.....there are more 'reported' concussions. More responsibility by medical staffs, more attention in the media, and one of the biggest names in the sport has created a 'perfect storm'.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Chudman82 »

DaDitka wrote:
goon attack wrote:

This is the funny part to me. Both the NFL and the NHL are talking about how many more concussions players are having today.....NO THEY ARE NOT (or at least it's not that 'many' more) it's just that the teams are reporting them now and not just running the guys back out there as quickly simply because of the fear of the lawsuit. Hell, many have these players are being protected from themselves. More often then not, these players want to get back out there too soon.

It's not that the hits, the size, whatever is getting out of hand...There aren't more concussions.....there are more 'reported' concussions. More responsibility by medical staffs, more attention in the media, and one of the biggest names in the sport has created a 'perfect storm'.
But I think you're discounting the effect that the new rules regarding obstruction and interference have had. Where players used to be able to hook/hold/grab onto opponents to slow their momentum, they must now hit. More hitting leads to more falls onto the ice and obviously if your head hits the ice hard enough, you'll be concussed. Plus there's a growing "big hit" culture in the NHL I believe, where you hit to knock out as opposed to merely dispossessing your opponent of the puck, similar to big hits vs. safe tackles in the NFL.

Yes concussions are reported more, but I think the rate and severity/length of time missed due to these concussions shows that it's not just mild concussions that could be played through.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Chudman82 wrote: But I think you're discounting the effect that the new rules regarding obstruction and interference have had. Where players used to be able to hook/hold/grab onto opponents to slow their momentum, they must now hit. More hitting leads to more falls onto the ice and obviously if your head hits the ice hard enough, you'll be concussed. Plus there's a growing "big hit" culture in the NHL I believe, where you hit to knock out as opposed to merely dispossessing your opponent of the puck, similar to big hits vs. safe tackles in the NFL.

Yes concussions are reported more, but I think the rate and severity/length of time missed due to these concussions shows that it's not just mild concussions that could be played through.

Agreed, I think it's a bit of both. I just fear that over legislation will be detrimental to the game.

Last night on NHL on the Fly they pointed out that the greatest cause of these concussions (over the last two years) were actually legal hits.

As for 'big hits', there are far fewer big hits out there on the ice then there used to be (which actually goes against everyone's instigator argument). Hell there are so few BIG HITS at the Scott any more that the fans stand a cheer when Cam 'hits' the boards and just makes noise.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

purple_haze
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by purple_haze »

cindy crosby is back and where the hell is perron. He better not be made of glass :(

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:
Chudman82 wrote: But I think you're discounting the effect that the new rules regarding obstruction and interference have had. Where players used to be able to hook/hold/grab onto opponents to slow their momentum, they must now hit. More hitting leads to more falls onto the ice and obviously if your head hits the ice hard enough, you'll be concussed. Plus there's a growing "big hit" culture in the NHL I believe, where you hit to knock out as opposed to merely dispossessing your opponent of the puck, similar to big hits vs. safe tackles in the NFL.

Agreed, I think it's a bit of both. I just fear that over legislation will be detrimental to the game.

Last night on NHL on the Fly they pointed out that the greatest cause of these concussions (over the last two years) were actually legal hits.

As for 'big hits', there are far fewer big hits out there on the ice then there used to be (which actually goes against everyone's instigator argument). Hell there are so few BIG HITS at the Scott any more that the fans stand a cheer when Cam 'hits' the boards and just makes noise.
Part of it too has been the evolution of the game: players are faster and better skaters than they've ever been before. As much as I hate the team, watch Nick Lidstrom any day of the week. You CANNOT legally hit the guy in open ice. You can't. He skates way too well to even bother trying. Professional hockey players today play angles and body position extremely well and better than in the past. Part of the problem for guys that are too aggressive is if they go for the bit hit and miss, you're out of position and the guy is going the other way with the puck. That was always a possibility but with the speed and skill of players constantly evolving, it's that more common.

That's part of the reason I like watching North American amateur hockey pre-college: lots of kids still developing those skills so guys that want to go out and lay out a bunch of people usually get plenty of chances to do so... and legally. THAT'S entertainment

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

purple_haze wrote:cindy crosby is back
God Dammit
TW Tiger Woods TW

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

WaukeeBlues wrote:players are faster and better skaters than they've ever been before. As much as I hate the team, watch Nick Lidstrom any day of the week. You CANNOT legally hit the guy in open ice. You can't. He skates way too well to even bother trying.
FAIL. I hope you see the illogic you used here. 8)
Part of the problem for guys that are too aggressive is if they go for the bit hit and miss, you're out of position and the guy is going the other way with the puck.
++

Guys are so worried about their positioning and assignments these days, going for the big hit just doesn't happen as much.

What I'd stress as a coach is that if you miss 3 times but lay one guy out, that's a tradeoff to take, especially if you can really (Frank) someone up, in a 7 game series for instance.

If I were coaching, Game 1 of each series would be time to lay as many people out as possible. If you lose the game, so be it, but if you take out 2 or 3 of their key guys, you'll probably end up winning the series.