GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Day

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Day

Post by JPonder94 »

I mentioned this in the Winchester thread, but I posted a recap and analysis of today's events. Check it out on the front page.

:goblues:

EDIT: In case you read this earlier, there was a problem posting it. That problem is now fixed.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Here's what I'll say.

This season has sucked and probably will continue to suck.

Next season is going to be amazing. We have jettisoned most of the driftwood on this team - Brewer, Boyes, and Winchester (this is debatable, but I found him worthless; he was the Brewer of forwards, did not use his size and did not play with the toughness his size should have afforded him) and are going to have tons of young guys coming into their own. Even guys like Reaves I'm excited about - even if all he ever becomes is a 4th line enforcer, at least it's young blood trying to make something happen out there, instead of washups whose value if their "playoff experience."

If they spend some of that cap space on some decent players in the off-season, we could be amazing next year.

Only thing that worries me now is how many friggin RFAs we have... http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=27

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

drwoland wrote:
If they spend some of that cap space on some decent players in the off-season, we could be amazing next year.

Only thing that worries me now is how many friggin RFAs we have... http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=27

I think the your last statement there negates any possibility of the first line.

Will they maybe look to sign a third or fourth line guy? Sure.

I expect them to add a guy or two along the lines of Brad Winchester or maybe Sobotka. That's about it.

Personally, I'm far more interested in spending some jack on a crease clearing top 4 defenseman that could really help against the opponents top line and on the penalty kill.

Look at the gaols for to gaols against the last three years

Goals for Goals Against
08-09 2.77 2.77
09-10 2.66 2.66
11-12 2.74 2.82

Note in 08-09 there were 15 teams that averaged 2.9 gaols against or more and in 11-12 there are only 6. So at a time when goal scoring is significantly down, our gaols against is significantly up.

Look around the league, there are lots of good teams that give up more gaols and lots that score more gaols, the key is the differential. (You can score the 5th fewest goals in the league if you allow the least). Our problem this year is keeping the puck out of the net. Much........very much......of this falls on the goalkeeping, but more of a physical presence on the blue line would help this as well.

Add a solid top four physical D-man and add a healthy DP....and you're cooking with gas!!!!!!

Unless you're undermined between the pipes.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund