Ej and McClement traded to AVs

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Ej and McClement traded to AVs

Post by kodos »

Stunned.

I've talked a lot of crap about Johnson, but actually trading him is a real shocker.

I still don't think he's as good as the hype. Yes, he has the tools to be a good/great defender in this league, but this kid was not going to turn into an annual Norris contender like people thought he was.

Still... WOW. Still sorting through my feelings.

I was bitching that the should TRADE EVERYONE and now I got my wish, so I guess I should be happy...

But EJ? The face of the franchise, our golden boy, our hope for the future? WOW.

Oh, and Shattenkirk is seriously the best name ever.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:The details of this trade make me somewhat bitter: Why do the Avs get a 1st rounder?
Let's make this simple:

Erik Johnson - 1st round pick
Jay McClement - 2nd round pick
Blues - 1st round pick

Chris Stewart - 1st round pick
Shattenkirk - 1st round pick
Avs - 2nd round pick.

Even across the board in terms of which round the players were selected and all of them are playing well. And if the Blues wind up with a top 10 pick this season, they can delay the draft pick swaps until 2012. I see nothing wrong with this deal at all, other than the giving up on EJ thing, but he wasn't improving at all. When Roman Polak is playing better than a 1st overall pick in the draft and that player is showing zero signs of improvement, it's time to move on.

The Blues just traded the two defenseman who have been playing the worst this season and the two defenseman who seemed to refuse to play physically ever. Defense doesn't work that way. Good!
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

kodos wrote:Stunned.

I've talked a lot of crap about Johnson, but actually trading him is a real shocker.

I still don't think he's as good as the hype. Yes, he has the tools to be a good/great defender in this league, but this kid was not going to turn into an annual Norris contender like people thought he was.

I was bitching that the should TRADE EVERYONE and now I got my wish, so I guess I should be happy...

But EJ? The face of the franchise, our golden boy, our hope for the future? WOW.

Shattenkirk and Beuekeboom! :)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

kodos wrote:Stunned.

Not Clutterbuck, or Clitsome?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

At this time Shattenkirk is a defenseman, that is not all that great at actual defense. I think with EJ's size gone, Polak's long term employment in St. Louis looks good.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Draft position doesn't really mean much once a player has a year or two under their belt.

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

:shock:

Holy SHIT.

At first I was shocked. They're trading away one of the faces of the team and someone they marketed as a centerpiece of the franchise. And I like McClement.

But then I saw who they got in return. And I like it. No, I LOVE it.

Kudos to the Blues Brass for not standing pat while the team shits itself like Wal-Mart on South Park. Army has balls the size of watermelons.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

This is a solid deal. If Stewart can get his mind right after the hand injury and repeat what he did last year or at the first of this year there is some much needed goal scoring. I am also glad that they were smart in going with conditional draft picks. I think Armstrong is better at drafting then some give him credit for. Most everyone that is playing for Dallas was his pick. So we have some nice young talent in hand and can draft well too. I think it's looking up for next year.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

PS I can't wait to see what offers we get for Conks after last nights shut out

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

I was at a bar last night, read this, and nearly shit myself.

I never thought that celebrating the Brewer trade would result in Eeej getting traded.

I had to wake up early today to make sure I didn't dream what I saw.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

My only concern about this is that we just gave up a ton of size on D. But Johnson wasn't using it so screw him.

I give this trade two huge THUMBS UP. Fresh blood, let's get down to business etc... if the management is cutthroat about winning, maybe the players on the ice will be too.

:goblues:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

goon attack wrote:if the management is cutthroat about winning, maybe the players on the ice will be too.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^ This team needs to smell blood in the water and finish games strong. An attitude change throughout the whole organization is desperately needed.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Can't believe it. Was totally shocked, borderline angry at first. But, I think we got the best of this.

Johnson will likely be better than Shattenkirk. But, Shattenkirk seems like no slouch himself, so it's not a major drop off. And, Johnson's development has really become concerning this year.

I liked McClement. Never really had any complaints about him, and he was a great penalty-killer. But, at the end of the day, I'll take Chris Stewart who can score 30 goals in a heartbeat for him.

The more I think about it, the more I love this. We essentially took a very minor downgrade at defense for a 30-Goal scorer. With the cap room we freed up w/ Brewer, we should have no reason not to make a strong play at Brad Richards.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

cardsfan04 wrote: With the cap room we freed up w/ Brewer, we should have no reason not to make a strong play at Brad Richards.
You do of course realize that cap room is not a problem for us. We are actually having to be careful not to go below the salary floor.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Wow wow wow. I honestly can't believe they did that.

Well, a few things are now clear:

1. We're giving up on this season. These aren't the kind of moves you make to try to win now.
2. Jarmo's reputation was WAY, WAY better than it deserved. Matt Millen, anyone?
3. Someone is either (a) paying attention or (b) dumping salary in order to try to sell the team.
4. The last five years of losing have been a colossal waste of time.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Stewart was actually making more then EJ, So after all these moves we are about 1.2 mill above the floor. That means we could still move Boyes or Jackman....but not both unless we took on salary in return.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kinda thought he was one of the faces of the organization...with that said I think Stewart will fit in real well with the blues...and thank god we don't have to face the douche(don't like him now but almost guaranteed to like him later)...but now the Brewer trade makes a little more sense.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

STLADOGG wrote:...but now the Brewer trade makes a little more sense.

At what point and why would the Brewer trade not have made sence? You got something for a guy who was going to walk at the end of the year?.?.?

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Nyghtewynd wrote: 1. We're giving up on this season. These aren't the kind of moves you make to try to win now.
I disagree entirely. This move is going to put us in the playoffs. These new guys are coming in and they are going to want to prove what they're worth. EJ was just a body at this point... totally replaceable by pretty much anyone.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

goon attack wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote: 1. We're giving up on this season. These aren't the kind of moves you make to try to win now.
I disagree entirely. This move is going to put us in the playoffs. These new guys are coming in and they are going to want to prove what they're worth. EJ was just a body at this point... totally replaceable by pretty much anyone.

Sid the Kid couldn't get us into the playoffs.

That said, we are a better team today then we were two days ago.