Ej and McClement traded to AVs

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Ej and McClement traded to AVs

Post by BoxCar »

It isn't like Stewart and Shattenkirk don't have high ceilings either. They were also 1st round selections. Stewart is already producing at near a point per game. I'm excited for this deal. Johnson may end up a stud, but after seeing Pietrangelo make Erik an afterthought when you name the top young Blues defenseman I am willing to see them roll the dice.

I also think that the Blues will acquire parise before all is said and done, and I base this off of nothing but intense and sexually confusing desire.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Well, on the bright side Stewart won't be scoring anymore hatties against us anytime soon...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Some Avalanche Fan's points of view:
http://fans.avalanche.nhl.com/community ... ge__st__60

I cannot believe what I just read. Unbelievable.

i mean, IDK how i can be a fan of this team at this point.

greg sherman needs to go. are you kidding me? stewart? chris stewart?

Are you kidding me? What about our pieces for the future? All of these guys had mega-potential.. I dont get these trades. Shattenkirk was a solid defensemen. And Stewie was scoring like a champ. Now we lose both for a d-man that Shattenkirk could have been??

We do get a first round pick in this as well... But why trade away guys you just drafted and cultivating to start over?

Erik Johnson is good but that deal is lob sided to say the least. Blues just got a forward who can score and young Shattenkirk.. This is kind of disgusting to read!

cohen.. then shattenkirk? worst trade in Avs history..

best penalty killer in the league, a defenseman with otherworldly upside...

but stewart? and shattenkirk?

i guess we got a first round pick as well.

but, for stewart AND shattenkirk? stewart is an all star power forward and shattenkirk is going to be a fantastic two way D man. for erik johnson and jay mcclement...

ugh.

were getting totally fleeced here... Anderson must have been playing hardball. I can understand that. But this deal is horrible. You lose two potentially awesome players and gain back Shatty basically in the d-man.

what the fuckin ****. AND if its a top ten the blues can swap the 1st for next years instead......this is some booshie.

The Avs owner must be desperatly trying to free up some money to throw at Carmello Anthony... Im disgusted right now

I don't see how Johnson is 'by far' the biggest name in the deal, NHL.com, but okay...

Disgraceful, 2nd rate, useless line-up full of gonna's and can't do's.

Johnson is good and all, much better than the rest of the Avs defensively...but Shatty is already scoring more in his first year in the league, in a shortened season. WTF WAS STEWY TAGGED ON!?!?! Stewart is already over significantly over performing for a mid/late 1st round, so why trade him for one!?

No WAY this is a real trade. Avs are trying REALLY hard to fight the Islanders and Toronto for the joke franchise of the decade for 2010-2020!

EJ hasn't exactly lived up to expectations in St Louis. He has a lot of talent, he's huge, he's still very young. Could be a gamechanger. Definitely.

McClement is one of my favourite bottom six guys - if Drizzt gets in here and ******* again about having pluggers in the lineup, McClement is exactly the kind of 'plugger' you want in the lineup. He's Winnik on 'pro' mode.

Losing Shattenkirk, who's got more points this year than Johnson, could hurt. I don't like it. But Johnson is something we do not have, whereas there are Shattenkirks all over the system. Shattenkirk is producing more, sure, but he doesn't have the same toolkit to be a great defender in this league, and Johnson could be a great defender in this league.

Losing Stewart is losing size, is losing a guy who, when he's on, is great. The Avs must have faith in Jones, like you say, and they also must believe Mueller will be back and in force.

Adding the 1st, although I believe St.Louis could opt to swap it for their pick next year, obviously a good thing.

Ballsy, ballsy trade.

Guys...stop the whining. We just got fricken' ERIK JOHNSON. He's 6'4'' 220lbs. First overall pick. Jones = Stewart in my eyes. And we have Barrie, Elliot, Gaunce that can all replace Shattenkirk and his horrible defensive game. McClement instantly boosts our PK and overall defensive game.

The last two weeks everyone has been bitching about how our defense sucks. Well we just addressed it. Drastically. Remember, we still have Fleishmann and Mueller. They weren't playing third line next year. This trade helped us.

Jesus...I can't believe what I just saw. Stewart...and...Kirk. Holy crap. I know what the hell Erik Johnson brings and I know we're in desperate need of a number one D-man but I was in no way prepared to part with the rare breed of power forward that Stewart is and a great potential 2-way D-man for Johnson. I mean Johnson hasn't even panned out yet. Stewie? We know what he can do. And Kirk? We've already seen glimpses of good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I think E-J is a great D-man but I can't believe we just parted with Stewart. It just rips my insides

In a year, the Blues will be parading this trade...and the Avs will be trading Johnson for a downgrade that doesn't fill team needs the first 2 games in a row he has a slump...

Overall I am liking the trade.

Erik Johnson is a beast of a player that can hit and shoot the puck hard. We're getting your average player in McClement and a 1st round pick in either this year or the next.

Shattenkirk getting traded away could be good and bad depending how look at it. I think the trade means Liles isn't going anywhere now. Shattenkirk couldn't hit the broad side of a barn most of the time and was a little below average in the defensive area.

Stewart was a beast player when he wanted to be. After his last injury we just haven't seen the Stewey that was driving hard to the net and overpowering people.

Both players are big losses to our fanbase who had grown to love them, but we're making changes to what looks like bulking up a bit on the defensive side which people wanted.

Hi. St. Louis fan here. You know we would have loved Stazz! Considering he is a hometown boy. Either way the majority of us in STL are loving this trade. We could just be down on EJ because of his poor year so far. He took a few steps backward this year instead of forward. It also could end up being huge for you guys. Anyways good luck.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Jack T Adams
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Jack T Adams »

I really like this deal. The Blues acquired two offensively talented players, both on forward and defense. This should really help the PP. Shattenkirk looks better on PP than EJ has. Shattenkirk is having a better year offensively than EJ.

Stewart had 66 points last year and 28 goals.

Army said that this trade gives Backes a partner in crime. The intention is to put this new power forward on the same line.
OFFICIAL 2007-2008 SPONSOR OF THE LATE DOUG WICKENHEISER, BRINGING BACK KEN WILSON and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cardinals, Rams and BLUES!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

The Avs owner must be desperatly trying to free up some money to throw at Carmello Anthony
I lol'd on that one :lol: :lol:
Army said that this trade gives Backes a partner in crime. The intention is to put this new power forward on the same line.
Yea I was actually thinking that too. Now we have two talented guys who can actually stand up for this team. Now we don't have to have 2 lines of grinders to compensate as much anymore :lol:

I gotta admit, reading those Avs comments makes me feel a lot better about this. History is going to be the judge of this one it looks like.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Holy shit....

Are we blowing up the team or am I just still asleep?

Well it looks like a tossup after reading some of the things on the TSN story about it, some interesting things being commented on, but then again, public comments run the gamut every time.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The reason we gave up a 1st rounder:

We got two 1st round draft picks from the Avs in Shattenkirk and Stewart. Johnson = 1 first round draft pick (even if he was #1 overall he hasn't played like a #1 overall pick.) So 1 goes the other way.

The 2nd round pick we get from them is for McClement. And if the Blues can keep the Avs down, it will be a relatively high 2nd round pick.

Stewart is the kind of goal-scorer the Blues have been missing - the kind of guy we've been saying all season the Blues needed to acquire. IMO - this deal is fair.

It's not like the Blues don't have any depth on defense and Shattenkirk actually plays defense.

And I'm as shocked as everyone else.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

HOLY CRAP. I'm headed to the game tonight. We're leaving to spend the whole day in St. Lou in about a half an hour. I JUST pulled my EJ jersey out of the closet and got a text from my buddy. I like Stewart. He was injured for a bit this year, but he puts up numbers. Management had to be upset with the performance of the team. They must think Petro is the #1 guy from here on out. I'm scared but at the same time, something needed doing. It sucks that I'm not going to have a computer all day. I'm going to have a lot of reactions to read tomorrow.

WOW.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The Blues clearly think Pietro is the Blues #1. Ice time proves it over the past month. He was way ahead of both Johnson and Brewer. Nikitin started taking EJ's power play time when he showed his PP skills. Johnson was playing like crap defensively. So what was EJ bringing to the team?? Shattenkirk should easily fill the shoes Johnson wasn't.

Blues future D (I don't expect Colaiacovo to stick due to his injury bad luck)
Pietro-Shattenkirk
Jackman-Cole/Cundari
Polak-Nikitin

One experienced D-man (yes, I'm calling Pietro experience because he plays that way) with one young guy - and there is at least one offensive mind-set on each pairing.

Future looks good to me - and it's young. If they pan out, the Blues have a long-term young core with Jackman eventually being supplanted by Cole or Cundari and those two becoming their own D pairing.

Heck - I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman gets traded next....

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I was sure getting vibes that Armstrong was upset, but DA*N!!!!!!

I like it. Nothing against EJ, but clearly this rebuild was't working. Let's try something different.

The trade makes since and a Stewart/Backes line actually looks like a top line.

Just look at our top 6 forwards when Peron returns.

There is plenty of defensive depth in the organization, and we got defenseman in return in both deals as well.

Oh, and I don't think they are done at all. Conks is gone if Halak is OK, and I think they are shopping TJ too......TJ Hensick that is.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote:

Heck - I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman gets traded next....
You dirty tease.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Do the Blues make this trade if they would have signed a little more offense during the offseason?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

SIU LAW wrote:Do the Blues make this trade if they would have signed a little more offense during the offseason?
Looking at these trades and the off-season, money is clearly a factor. Everyone they are trading have higher salaries than the guys coming in. The ownership apparently doesn't/didn't have the money for the "big" free agent everyone clamored for in the off-season. Now, through what look like good trades, they've reduced salary AND it appears they have improved the team, at least until an ownership group who can afford to spend money finally takes over.

Stewart is a potential 30-goal scorer only in his 3rd season - the exact type of player many here have been yelling at the Blues management for not acquiring. Well, it's done now. They can quit complaining.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Holy shit... whiskey tango foxtrot is going on here?

I pop onto yahoo sports and see Blues trade Johnson, I thought it was April Fools Day.

The details of this trade make me somewhat bitter: Why do the Avs get a 1st rounder?

End of the day though, I think Stewart will obviously provide some offense plus he can't kill the Blues when they play the Avs anymore, and he's young. Shattenkirk appears to be a point producing D-man though smaller than Johnson, and he is younger too, and no slouch as a 1st rounder himself. Our D definitely got a lot smaller, but our O got a lot more likely to score some goals.

Remember this: EJ was the best available the year the Blues drafted him. If you'd put him in the 2007 (Shattenkirk) draft where Shat went #14, between guys like Kane, Vanriemsdyk , Turris, Couture, etc... EJ would have have probably been about a 7 or 8th pick overall. Move Shattenkirk to the 2006 draft and he probably would have been the #1.

I think this works out, long term, for the Blues. Unfortunately, I think it also works out for the Avs.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

FOOTE
Prospect
Prospect

Post by FOOTE »

I can't imagine the spin JD is going to have to put on this one to convince some fans that this was a good trade.

When you trade away your first ever first overall pick after you've been spewing that we are building for the future, and after we're told in commercials and by JD & Co. (constantly, as if it's an excuse to lose games) to be patient because we're a growing team... You have a lot of explaining to do.

I'm willing to give this trade a chance and see how Shattenkirk plays for us, but right now I am also pretty furious that we just gave up on Johnson.

I hope Stewart is more Iginla like, then Brad f'n Boyes(buy his ass out so we can move on.)

I honestly can't wait for a JD reaction to this. I just want to see what he says about it.
theohall wrote: Heck - I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman gets traded next....
Would take away some of the initial sting that the trade has caused for me.. maybe.
Last edited by FOOTE on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

theohall wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:Do the Blues make this trade if they would have signed a little more offense during the offseason?
Looking at these trades and the off-season, money is clearly a factor. Everyone they are trading have higher salaries than the guys coming in. The ownership apparently doesn't/didn't have the money for the "big" free agent everyone clamored for in the off-season. Now, through what look like good trades, they've reduced salary AND it appears they have improved the team, at least until an ownership group who can afford to spend money finally takes over.

Stewart is a potential 30-goal scorer only in his 3rd season - the exact type of player many here have been yelling at the Blues management for not acquiring. Well, it's done now. They can quit complaining.
I haven't really sorted out how I feel about the trade yet, I just find myself wondering if the Blues put themselves in position where they had to make this trade.

It is great to have someone like Stewart in the organization, and that is not someone you can pick up (a young scorer) on the free agent market, but the Blues shot themselves in the foot by not getting more help. Now are they robbing from Peter to pay Paul?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

FOOTE wrote:I can't imagine the spin JD is going to have to put on this one to convince some fans that this was a good trade.

When you trade away your first ever first overall pick after you've been spewing that we are building for the future, and after we're told in commercials and by JD & Co. (constantly, as if it's an excuse to lose games) to be patient because we're a growing team... You have a lot of explaining to do.

I'm willing to give this trade a chance and see how Shattenkirk plays for us, but right now I am also pretty furious that we just gave up on Johnson.

I hope Stewart is more Iginla like, then Brad f'n Boyes(buy his ass out so we can move on.)

I honestly can't wait for a JD reaction to this. I just want to see what he says about it.
theohall wrote: Heck - I wouldn't be surprised if Jackman gets traded next....
Would take away some of the initial sting that the trade has caused for me.. maybe.
Minimal spin necessary: Swap the years in which Shattenkirk and Johnson were drafted and Shattenkirk goes #1 to the Blues in 2006, Johnson goes 9 or 10 in 2007. The Blues were just letting Colorado develop Shatty for them. Now that EJ is in Colorado, he can recklessly try to barehand a Carlos Gonzalez foul ball whilst drunk out of his mind attending a Rockies game and break his arm in 20 different places. Out for the season.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

SIU LAW wrote:I haven't really sorted out how I feel about the trade yet, I just find myself wondering if the Blues put themselves in position where they had to make this trade.

It is great to have someone like Stewart in the organization, and that is not someone you can pick up (a young scorer) on the free agent market, but the Blues shot themselves in the foot by not getting more help. Now are they robbing from Peter to pay Paul?

Yes,

But at least they are doing something.

Army has been pretty clear that he wasn't happy with the organization top to bottom, and he's shaking it up. He knew he wouldn't have the option in free agency this offseason again because of the cash constraints.

What I really need to take a look at is the cap ramifications of moving the Brewer and EJ contracts. It could prevent us form moving another big contract like Boyes or Jackman without taking a decent contract back in return.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

SIU LAW wrote:
theohall wrote:

I haven't really sorted out how I feel about the trade yet, I just find myself wondering if the Blues put themselves in position where they had to make this trade.

Let's not assume that they're finished just yet. I can see a one or two more trades going down, in the form of at least Boyes getting a ticket out of town. I bet some team in the EC (cough Rangers) overpays for Boyes.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

glen a richter wrote: Let's not assume that they're finished just yet. I can see a one or two more trades going down, in the form of at least Boyes getting a ticket out of town. I bet some team in the EC (cough Rangers) overpays for Boyes.
I have to think Boyes or MacDonald is hitting the road.

In my dreams, they unload one of them and use their salary and Brewer's salary to go hard after Brad Richards.