Bergie Vs. Sendins?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Bergie Vs. Sendins?

Post by DaDitka »

I head the comparison last night and thought I'd look into it, here's what I found....

Hendrik Sedin's first 3 years - 33 goals

Daniel Sedin's first three years - 43 goals

Bergie's first three years - 49 already (with 27 games to go)

Hell, Hendrick add netted only 11 in his 4th season and Daniel only 18.

In the 6 seasons that followed Daniel's 4th year, he's averaged 30 goals a season.

So, everyone still wanting to 'dump' Bergie????????

For those quick to point out the 'Oshie' factor, I'd like to point out that it's not just that he's playing with Oshie, but that he's not being flanked by Winchester, Crombeen, Jansen, ect. Look what he's doing on the power play where he's actually out there with skilled players.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Bergie Vs. Sendins?

Post by gaijin »

DaDitka wrote:I head the comparison last night and thought I'd look into it, here's what I found....

In the 6 seasons that followed Daniel's 4th year, he's averaged 30 goals a season.

For those quick to point out the 'Oshie' factor, I'd like to point out that it's not just that he's playing with Oshie, but that he's not being flanked by Winchester, Crombeen, Jansen, ect. Look what he's doing on the power play where he's actually out there with skilled players.
Granted, I'm way out of the viewing area and don't subscribe to a cable package, but it does seem like he is showing up on the box score more often recently. Glad to see it.

And "Bergie" makes me think of Marc Bergevin. There should be some kind of statute of limitations for bad memories like that.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

gaijin wrote:but it does seem like he is showing up on the box score more often recently.
C Patrik Berglund continued his torrid streak Monday. Berglund scored his 15th goal of the season, giving him three straight games with a goal and seven goals in his last 11 gaes. Berglund's goal Monday came on the power play, increasing his team-high total to seven goals on the man advantage. The next Blue in line, Brad Boyes, has four power-play goals.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

we made this happen. I know for a fact Berglund reads this forum and as soon as we started calling him a pussy, he sacked up.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Yeah, Ok. But does "Bumps" have a twin brother that looks like an alien?
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

goon attack wrote:we made this happen. I know for a fact Berglund reads this forum and as soon as we started calling him a pussy, he sacked up.
Andy Mac, sucks, Jackman Sucks, Winchester sucks, Boyes sucks, Steen sucks, Cam (really does suck), Oshie sucks... I think you get the point.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:I head the comparison last night and thought I'd look into it, here's what I found....

My gripe about Berglund is he would not play aggressively when Oshie was out of the lineup. He lost most puck battles, rarely hit anyone, and seemed to be not playing tough. With Oshie - he wins puck battles, hits people, and seems more active. Yes, the Crombeens and Winchesters aren't skill players, but they aren't a reason to play different - which is what Berglund did. Had he played then like he is playing now, maybe the Blues get 3 or 4 more wins in the close games.

Oshie and Berglund compliment each other with their styles of play and Berglund has added a physical element which wasn't there when Oshie was out. That is huge in terms of creating space, because defenders tend to back off - which wasn't happening when Oshie was out. It is now, because both are hitting, both can handle the puck well, and both make space for each other with their physical play.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I realize that the Sedins are epically ghey, but there is something to be said for the fact that they're practically attached at the hip twins. They've been playing together their entire lives and that has to create some natural chemistry. Apart from the time needed to adjust to NHL caliber hockey, once they got there, they took off. I'd trade Berglund and Oshie and a crapload of draft picks yesterday if it meant getting the Sedins in the note.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

glen a richter wrote:I realize that the Sedins are epically ghey, but there is something to be said for the fact that they're practically attached at the hip twins. They've been playing together their entire lives and that has to create some natural chemistry. Apart from the time needed to adjust to NHL caliber hockey, once they got there, they took off. I'd trade Berglund and Oshie and a crapload of draft picks yesterday if it meant getting the Sedins in the note.
All I can say is "Vroom Vroom party starter"

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Who knows what his ceiling is, but I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of him. The guy is 22, never played a lick in the AHL, only in his third season, and plays on the cursed Blues. I don't think he even played above the second-tier league in Sweden (but I may be wrong about that).

If he was a young player on a bigger named team, people would probably be praying for a shot at him via trade, hoping there was a higher ceiling. People are always want the Blues to get some skilled players, well here is a guy that just may fit that description. He just needs to gain some grit and jam to his game to put himself in a position to show off that skill.

Also, as I alluded to above, never underestimate the impact of this team's overall mediocrity has had on the stats of some of our younger players. For example, Backes would probably have higher totals on a more talented team.

There are things I don't like about his game right now, but like I said, he's 22.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote: My gripe about Berglund is he would not play aggressively when Oshie was out of the lineup. He lost most puck battles, rarely hit anyone, and seemed to be not playing tough. With Oshie - he wins puck battles, hits people, and seems more active. Yes, the Crombeens and Winchesters aren't skill players, but they aren't a reason to play different - which is what Berglund did. Had he played then like he is playing now, maybe the Blues get 3 or 4 more wins in the close games.

The part that has confused me is hes' played as hard as any forward (save Oshie) in the defensive end. In the offensive end it looks like he's always worried about getting stuck out there too long or expecting his line mates to turn it over.

He's long been knock for not moving his feat enough, and that has been a big issue with him, but not this year. Even Kerbs was giving him props BEFORE the recent scoring surge.

That's one thing that really bugs be with this organization, and my guess is it's because of so little coverage by the local media, but once a guy is labeled on way, it's nearly impossible for him to shake it.

Look no further then Brewer. He did come out much better to start this year and the beat writers and local talking head were quick to point it out. He hasn't even played OK since November and yet you still hear fans and talk show host everywhere acting like he's playing well. He's not!!!! Open your freaking minds and think for yourself!!!!

I've had to have much the same discussion with some single ticket holders that attend games near me in regards to Bergie's over all play, and you know what??? When they watch 'him', they came away thinking he was one of the hardest workers on the ice game in and game out.

Will he keep it up? Who knows. But he's working as hard as anyone, and he's always had the highest (scoring) ceiling of any of the kids. He's the one with the physical skill set to be a 30 + goal scorer (out of him, Oshie, and DP).

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up his 'azz', I'm just sick of hearing people talking about moving him while his value is up.

He's a kid showing 'growth', isn't that what we've all been waiting for?

Oh, and do you think a little of that 'growing' may rub off on EJ?

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

The thing is that he is crazy streaky. People are all up on him right now because he's playing well. 2 months ago, he was the invisible man. He wasn't scoring and he wasn't visibly working hard on the ice. He's been this way since he got here.

Seems to me like he might need a good sports psychologist. And keep him far away from Brad Boyes.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:Oh, and do you think a little of that 'growing' may rub off on EJ?
Coulda phrased that one better...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

I have a female acquaintance who hangs w/ Bergie & she said that he was off focus last season but that he made a commitment to regain it in the off season and push himself. Sure he started off slow but I think that his hard work is starting to translate onto the ice.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I have a merm acquaintance who also hangs with Bergie & (s)he said that he decided to just take it easy this year and go with the flow.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
DaDitka wrote:Oh, and do you think a little of that 'growing' may rub off on EJ?
Coulda phrased that one better...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

DaDitka wrote:
theohall wrote: My gripe about Berglund is he would not play aggressively when Oshie was out of the lineup. He lost most puck battles, rarely hit anyone, and seemed to be not playing tough. With Oshie - he wins puck battles, hits people, and seems more active. Yes, the Crombeens and Winchesters aren't skill players, but they aren't a reason to play different - which is what Berglund did. Had he played then like he is playing now, maybe the Blues get 3 or 4 more wins in the close games.

The part that has confused me is hes' played as hard as any forward (save Oshie) in the defensive end. In the offensive end it looks like he's always worried about getting stuck out there too long or expecting his line mates to turn it over.

He's long been knock for not moving his feat enough, and that has been a big issue with him, but not this year. Even Kerbs was giving him props BEFORE the recent scoring surge.

That's one thing that really bugs be with this organization, and my guess is it's because of so little coverage by the local media, but once a guy is labeled on way, it's nearly impossible for him to shake it.

Look no further then Brewer. He did come out much better to start this year and the beat writers and local talking head were quick to point it out. He hasn't even played OK since November and yet you still hear fans and talk show host everywhere acting like he's playing well. He's not!!!! Open your freaking minds and think for yourself!!!!

I've had to have much the same discussion with some single ticket holders that attend games near me in regards to Bergie's over all play, and you know what??? When they watch 'him', they came away thinking he was one of the hardest workers on the ice game in and game out.

Will he keep it up? Who knows. But he's working as hard as anyone, and he's always had the highest (scoring) ceiling of any of the kids. He's the one with the physical skill set to be a 30 + goal scorer (out of him, Oshie, and DP).

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up his 'azz', I'm just sick of hearing people talking about moving him while his value is up.

He's a kid showing 'growth', isn't that what we've all been waiting for?

Oh, and do you think a little of that 'growing' may rub off on EJ?
I don't get the local media much being in Florida. My impressions are from watching games. Before Oshie got hurt, Berglund was playing well. When Oshie was out, Berglund played like a wuss. When Oshie came back, Berglund started playing like the power forward he should be. Anyone who has the NHL Game Center Online package can see this, since every game which is 48 hours old is available. Berglund SUCKED BALLS!!!! until Oshie came back. The very game Oshie returned, Berglund's game changed - and it's blatantly obvious on tape. Coincidence??????

Erik Johnson right now is the Blues worst defenseman. Eric "I have a thread about being a pussy" Brewer is playing better.

Alex Pietrangelo is hands down the Blues best defenseman and Payne is giving him the ice time because of it.

When Nikita Nikitin is more effective on the power play than a #1 overall draft pick in the NHL, someone has to question what the (Frank) is wrong with that draft pick (Erik Johnson).
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

theohall wrote: I don't get the local media much being in Florida. My impressions are from watching games. Before Oshie got hurt, Berglund was playing well. When Oshie was out, Berglund played like a wuss.

I can't help you then.

As I noted, even Kerbs who HATES BERGIE.........was talking about how hard he was playing on the pregame show two games before Oshie's return.

I can't change your impression..........but your still wrong :wink:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

theohall wrote: When Nikita Nikitin is more effective on the power play than a #1 overall draft pick in the NHL, someone has to question what the (Frank) is wrong with that draft pick (Erik Johnson).
growing pains. sophmore slump. he'll be fine. to expect a defenseman to come in to the NHL and excel right away is a little silly. Sure, it happens from time to time (Pietrangelo) but usually doesn't.

my take is this:

What you see with #27 is what you get. Steady, great hands, great with the puck, great feel for the game, excellent skater. A guy you can depend on to play the same way for 15+ years.

#6- tremendous upside. He's going through mental growing pains which means he's thinking about stuff... this is good long term if he can fulfill his potential. If he gets into groove like Pronger did around his 5th & 6th season, you may see excellence from EJ... the whole package... or he may be a total bust of course. :facepalm:

Either way, the keeper as of now is #27 but if you get rid of #6, he may excel like #44 did here after Hartford got rid of him.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

goon attack wrote:
theohall wrote: When Nikita Nikitin is more effective on the power play than a #1 overall draft pick in the NHL, someone has to question what the (Frank) is wrong with that draft pick (Erik Johnson).
growing pains. sophmore slump. he'll be fine. to expect a defenseman to come in to the NHL and excel right away is a little silly. Sure, it happens from time to time (Pietrangelo) but usually doesn't.

my take is this:

What you see with #27 is what you get. Steady, great hands, great with the puck, great feel for the game, excellent skater. A guy you can depend on to play the same way for 15+ years.

#6- tremendous upside. He's going through mental growing pains which means he's thinking about stuff... this is good long term if he can fulfill his potential. If he gets into groove like Pronger did around his 5th & 6th season, you may see excellence from EJ... the whole package... or he may be a total bust of course. :facepalm:

Either way, the keeper as of now is #27 but if you get rid of #6, he may excel like #44 did here after Hartford got rid of him.
This.

And even with Petro, totally possible he has a slump next season or the season after. I'll pass judgment on them when they've been around for quite some time. Neither has yet. But I'm excited for both of them and especially Petro.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk