Craig Conroy Retires

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Craig Conroy Retires

Post by WaukeeBlues »

NHL.com wrote:After 16 seasons and more than 1,000 games, Craig Conroy announced his retirement on Friday at a press conference in the Scotiabank Saddledome.

Once a long shot ever to reach the NHL as a sixth-round pick out of a New York high school, Conroy forged a long and distinguished career as a solid two-way player. He scored 182 goals and 542 points in 1,009 games with Montreal, St. Louis, Calgary and Los Angeles.

"I am retired," Conroy. "It is weird, because you know I always think I can play and be a player, but after taking time and sitting down with [President] Ken [King] and [interim General Manger] Jay [Feaster] and looking at everything ... I think I've come to grips with it and I'm good with it."

He will remain with the club as a special assistant to acting General Manager Jay Feaster.

"It's a little unwieldy; we'll probably try to work something else out on the business card," Feaster said. "We really are thrilled to have him on board. I think the service he'll be able to provide to this organization going forward will be just tremendous."

Known primarily as a defense-first role player with the Blues, Conroy was traded to Calgary during the 2000-01 season. He became the team's No. 1 center and formed a productive partnership with Jarome Iginla.

Conroy had a career-high 27 goals and 75 points in his first full season with the Flames, and scored at least 22 goals in three of his first four seasons after the trade. He had 6 goals and 17 points during the team's dramatic run to the 2004 Stanley Cup Final, where the Flames fell in Game 7 to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

After graduating from Northwood High School, he spent four successful college seasons at Clarkson and most of two seasons in the American Hockey League before a trade from Montreal to St. Louis in October 1996 helped pave a clearer path to regular NHL playing time. Conroy was traded to Calgary at the 2001 trade deadline along with a seventh-round pick (used to select David Moss) for Cory Stillman.

After signing with Los Angeles before the start of the 2005-06 season, the Flames reacquired Conroy in January 2007. The 39-year-old Conroy had 2 goals in 18 games this season before going unclaimed on waivers late last month.

The entire Flames roster showed up for the press conference.

"I want to say thanks to the guys. I know you got home late [from Atlanta]," Conroy said. "I could see Jarome saying, 'Do we have to go?' [Vice-President of Communications] Peter [Hanlon] probably forced everybody, but it does mean a lot to have all of you guys here."
I think it's sweet that the Flames got him to 1,000 games before putting him on waivers. Classy.

I think the jury is still out on the Conroy/Stillman trade :lol:

Good luck Craig, thanks for your time in the bluenote
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Craig Conroy Retires

Post by STLADOGG »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I think it's sweet that the Flames got him to 1,000 games before putting him on waivers. Classy.
Yeah and they gave him a job in the organization too, there a real classy organization for sure.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Highest-pitched voice in hockey?

I enjoyed his time as a Blue, though seeing him break out offensively in Calgary upset me a bit. It's like you leave the Blues, and you're a better hockey player.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ohio BLUES wrote:Highest-pitched voice in hockey?

I enjoyed his time as a Blue, though seeing him break out offensively in Calgary upset me a bit. It's like you leave the Blues, and you're a better hockey player.
Isn't that more the rule than the exception?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

Hopefully the next time the Blues play teh flamers at Scottrade, they recognize CC.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blame Joel Quenneville for not letting him play with Hull.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

theohall wrote:

Blame Joel Quenneville for not letting him play with Hull.
I agree. I said when he was here that he should be playing on the top-two lines. Guy had skill but never got the chance to showcase it here.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Oh and I did write a little blurb about Conroy on the front page if anyone is interested in reading it.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

blues22
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by blues22 »

My fave Blue. Sad to see him retire, but I'm enjoying all the love directed his way this past week or so.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Always liked Conroy.

& yes, when you leave here you're instantly a better player.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald