Does JD make sense?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dirtypel30
Prospect
Prospect

Does JD make sense?

Post by dirtypel30 »

JD says only teams below you in standings should be allowed to claim a player contracted from another league. The waiver wire should not be open to all teams when a team goes through the effort of finding players finished with their prospective leagues. Is this the way to go with an "antiquated rule". Should GMs take this rule up during their talks?

brynec
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: Does JD make sense?

Post by brynec »

I agree somewhat, all teams should be able to claim the player off of waivers but teams under you get to claim for "free" and the teams above you get to claim for a draft pick. The pick could be determined by either the contract salary (for example a player signed under a million would be a 5th rounder and between 1-2 mil would be a 4th), or it could be decided by the number of places or points above you in the standings. I think the first would make more sense though. Is JD only talking about the khl waivers or all waivers I don't think nhl waivers should go to a system like this because I think GM's would start to abuse it.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

brynec wrote:I agree somewhat, all teams should be able to claim the player off of waivers but teams under you get to claim for "free" and the teams above you get to claim for a draft pick. The pick could be determined by either the contract salary (for example a player signed under a million would be a 5th rounder and between 1-2 mil would be a 4th), or it could be decided by the number of places or points above you in the standings. I think the first would make more sense though. Is JD only talking about the khl waivers or all waivers I don't think nhl waivers should go to a system like this because I think GM's would start to abuse it.
Let's keep in mind this system is not just about the KHL- its all of Europe. I don't think it applies to any lesser leagues in the States or Canada either. But then again, why would you be searching for guys on lesser league teams anyway?

I am all for his waiver idea if it means just the waivers rule with European leagues. If it was for all waivers- it would be a worse idea than what is currently in place.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I'm just happy to know that JD is still alive.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:I'm just happy to know that JD is still alive.
I had no idea either...

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

That's right, I forgot that JD was GM. Oh wait...

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

JD makes sense a million ways. We'll see how many old pot heads catch this......
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

JD is right. For players picked up from European teams in mid-season, teams above the signing team should not be eligible to make a claim. Note that Both Nashville and San Jose were below The Blues in points out of available points ratio at the point when their waiver claims were made, and, thus, both Svatos and Wellwood would have been lost to The Blues in any case.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

San Jose was above the Blues point wise when they took chubs.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.